Why switch creeper colors?

Started by Karsten75, April 03, 2012, 01:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I just played another map where the map maker "cleverly" switched creeper colors - blue is good, grey is bad. And I got to wonder. Why do that? It only last a minute or so for the player to figure it out (at most one restart), and after that it's business as usual, but it is irritating.

Anyone see any actual game value in switching the colors?

2b3o4o

Quote from: Karsten75 on April 03, 2012, 01:25:33 PM
I just played another map where the map maker "cleverly" switched creeper colors - blue is good, grey is bad. And I got to wonder. Why do that? It only last a minute or so for the player to figure it out (at most one restart), and after that it's business as usual, but it is irritating.

Anyone see any actual game value in switching the colors?
Not like the example you gave, but changing the colors in general is alright.

TonyP2000

I kind of wondered the same thing personally. The only time were I did not mind the switch was Link's 3.X maps. There is a story reason for it, it is not just a poor attempt to confuse the player.

The one thing I always thought was kind of dumb is when people make all the colours random to hide the densities. It's pointless since you can just look up the density on the bottom of the screen. The whole thing is more annoying than anything.
Vote Tony!

Ebon Heart

in A Tragedy Forgotten, I changed the creeper colors in most maps to get the desired effect. Part 1, the creeper is fire. Part 2, the creeper is plant like, etc. etc. The creeper is actually red in every map except Part 2.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Karsten75

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. I don't mind if people change anti-creeper to yellow and creeper to red (or any other color combinations).  I am asking about "ordinary" maps where map makers change grey anti-creeper to blue and blue creeper to grey, in order to initially give the appearance that a creeper mass on the map is the opposite of what it actually is.

TonyP2000

Oh, I knew exactly what you meant. (I just went a little off topic to describe another creeper color thing that annoyed me.)

Switching the colours of good and bad creeper is almost completely pointless aside from a bit of confusion at the beginning.
Vote Tony!

lich98

I like using new color right if it has a point. i dont like mxing grey and blue tht just seems mean
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Rushed

Yeah, unless changing the colors of Creeper/Anit-Creeper has a story mode purpose, there I don't see the reason for doing so.

Bongo

I like using "Psychedelic Creeper" (Violet, Blue, Cyan, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, Pink) on my maps. It's a lot easier to get an instant idea of what you are up against without having to pause and mouse over the Creeper all the time. The gradations in the original blue Creeper are little hard to differentiate.

What I can't stand is mappers who make the Creeper or Anti-Creeper the same as the background colour. That drives me absolutely nuts! Almost as bad as making custom tiles the same as the background colour.

2b3o4o

Quote from: Bongo on July 27, 2012, 03:36:25 AM
I like using "Psychedelic Creeper" (Violet, Blue, Cyan, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, Pink) on my maps. It's a lot easier to get an instant idea of what you are up against without having to pause and mouse over the Creeper all the time. The gradations in the original blue Creeper are little hard to differentiate.

What I can't stand is mappers who make the Creeper or Anti-Creeper the same as the background colour. That drives me absolutely nuts! Almost as bad as making custom tiles the same as the background colour.
Personally, I think it makes things a lot less convenient. It doesn't really make maps look too nice either.