Custom Map #449: First Encounters Part 4

Started by AutoPost, November 13, 2011, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #449: First Encounters Part 4

Author: Ebon_Heart

Desc:
My fourth installment of the First Encounters series. Join the Commander and OPS from cw1 when they're teleported into the future. If you have no clue what I'm talking about, play the rest of the maps in this series, they're in the cw1 custom maps section. Thanks to Fisherck for the epic tiles, and eighttailedfox for making the custom characters for me.

lich98

I think this is a great map ebon keep up the good work.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

SmileyCoder

Very enjoyable map!

I died the first time due to loosing some pods. Second time around, I forgot to blow a Conversion bomb, and thus lost em all, but was able to finish it still.

The map, the emitters and fields were all balanced to provide a moderate challenge, but kept it interesting at most points, and only rarely turned it into a slugfest (which probably could have been avoided, had I saved the conversion bombs.

The conversation throughout the map was also enjoyable, but I felt a sort of anti-climax at the finish game conversation. The mid-game conversations lead me to expect more from the end-game conversation.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: SmileyCoder on November 14, 2011, 05:37:24 AM
Very enjoyable map!

I died the first time due to loosing some pods. Second time around, I forgot to blow a Conversion bomb, and thus lost em all, but was able to finish it still.

The map, the emitters and fields were all balanced to provide a moderate challenge, but kept it interesting at most points, and only rarely turned it into a slugfest (which probably could have been avoided, had I saved the conversion bombs.

The conversation throughout the map was also enjoyable, but I felt a sort of anti-climax at the finish game conversation. The mid-game conversations lead me to expect more from the end-game conversation.
Sorry, by the time I was onto the end game conversations, I just wanted to finish the darned thing. :P hopefully the story will get more interesting in first encounters part 5. With any luck, that one will be up tonightz
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

DethbyIT

Looking at those scores, I'm going to have to go back in there and give another shot. This time I won't save the C Bombs for the end.
:)

Ebon Heart

Quote from: DethbyIT on November 14, 2011, 07:40:25 AM
Looking at those scores, I'm going to have to go back in there and give another shot. This time I won't save the C Bombs for the end.
:)
I've found it's best to use 2 or 3 conversion bombs on that spinny pit, depending on where the creeper's densest, then use the rest on the end, spread out through the differs parts of that final room. You almost absolutely need one of the ball thingy... That and the funnel, where the creeper's all piled up at the entrance. :P then just bomb the box thingy with what you'll have left. (obviously this comes first....) good luck!

Ebon Heart

What on earth is wrong with this map? It has more dislikes than likes... And the lead downloads of an of the last 10 maps to be released. I thought people liked it.... I guess I'm' just hopelessly delusional. ;( comments were good, and I thought people liked it, but I finally noticed what the majority of the community thinks. Ugh.
Edit: this map has the WORST like/dislike ratio of any maps on the first page. What the heck? That's worse than some of the namelesss, descriptionless, authorless 10 minute make maps we've gotten! *sigh* so much for a good map to make a comeback into the cw community   >:(

DethbyIT

There's nothing 'wrong' with it, but it is a very tough map to complete. I imagine that a lot of the votes are based on the players getting wiped out in that first couple of minutes and just giving up.

Start posting 'Spoilers' - at least enough to get them through to the next chamber.
dbit

Ebon Heart

Quote from: DethbyIT on November 14, 2011, 08:26:50 PM
There's nothing 'wrong' with it, but it is a very tough map to complete. I imagine that a lot of the votes are based on the players getting wiped out in that first couple of minutes and just giving up.

Start posting 'Spoilers' - at least enough to get them through to the next chamber.
dbit
no one will even look at it now anyways, because of all the negative votes. :/

Grauniad

Wow, you give up easily. If I gave up that easily, I would have given up on your map the first time a capsule got destroyed... But I didn't.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Grauniad on November 14, 2011, 09:10:44 PM
Wow, you give up easily. If I gave up that easily, I would have given up on your map the first time a capsule got destroyed... But I didn't.
ya ya, let me assess it tomorrow, and see how bad it really is. I'm stressed right now and I've had a truly terrible day. Forgive my mopiness, but I'm not in a good mood. And having a mod on a game forum yelling at me isn't helping either. Not that it's really doing anything to make my mood worse. :P

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Grauniad on November 14, 2011, 09:52:07 PM
Yelling? Wow. Just wow.
it's an expression! lol. I remember UpperKEES saying something about that too when I said something like that to him. Getting after me for it* happy? lmao.

CJY101

I say not good, a lot of nonsense, just my feelings, I hope you can understand
(I translated the explanation + broken English)

Expert Only,Only a very small number of people,For most people.

1、at the beginning too difficult (at the beginning,Do not know how to start.)
Unless the expert or have experience,Otherwise, it is difficult to know how to get started.
Players do not like to repeat too many times with a map,
To understand, just a "how to get started."
As a result, at least more than half of the people to give up.
Even the best time Only a few to 5 minutes, for most people still too difficult.

2、map complex (Do not know how to play).
Entire map of the complex do not know how to end, Even a beautiful map,
This makes a lot of people will not want to play.
Length is too long a map, will make people feel
Map length of the long = long time
If the map can have a show creeper fields.
Players may have different strategies,
Instead of groping in the dark, do not know how to play.
If there is a clear goal, will be simpler.

3、time too long (or Difficulty too high).
Avg Time or Best Time too long
Usually means, most of the players spends the time to be too long
or even experts need to spend a long time.
Shows the difficulty or complexity is too high, they will not want to play.
May lead to increased negative evaluation, Do not want to even download it.
I played in cw2 the map(test_c), Best Time more than 15 points (= Avg Time 45 minutes),
time spend on too very long.
(Add:This refers to the time I play.)

4、 bad map design will also lead to negative evaluation more
The design of a mess, or too much health, high strength, too many restrictions.
These will lead to the negative appraisal is more than frontage appraisal,
Or no reason, just simply like or does not like.

------------------------------------------------------------------

A map does not require much description, For non-English-speaking countries.
Description is of no use, Because it can not understand.
Only a few people will want to know.
so, Can be briefly described.

If a map can see how the end, that is to know "Specific routes(Clear route)"
The rest is just slowly forward, Even if a long time, There will not be too much negative comment.
for example:Full BOX (Map ID:438)  Avg Time:   51 min 56 sec

cw2 many new people, would not necessarily want to know.
The same author cw1 map, good or bad.
So if cw2 first map, can attract the attention of many people and submit scores.
Then the author of the next map will be concerned about.
Players have a good impression, noticeable at the beginning is very important.
frontage appraisal and submit scores and more, will attract people to play.
Will attract more people's attention.

Most players just want to "leisure" to play, do not want to think too much,
Just a break to play a game, why so tired, unless the experts want the best scores.
The player's patience , only a few minutes before entering the map, over these time..
Perhaps no longer have the opportunity to go to contacts this map.

So...
Concise map, Beautiful map will draw attention,
Computer will not be too lag, Specific routes(Clear route).
The beginning of a crystal, can be shortened a lot of time,
Do not waste the extra map space, the map can be short on the short
Best Time is short, players want to play the map a short time,
will attract people to score the competition.
Directly from the map and the map name, see that would like to express, it is also successful.
If want to be a strange map, but also can.

Few people are familiar with for a map better than the author, except a few experts.
Otherwise the author would like to give the player is ...
Painful to play, or fun to play, It depends on the author.
If wants to change the map style, needs to want to be clear.

Listen to me so much nonsense
Last...Unless you set goals...
Is expert or Submit scores and more or other factors,
Otherwise you have to think,
Players need what? (Map author know?)
Or
Map authors would like to express? (Players know?)

ps:
This article took me five hours to write + Translation  = =
Want to help you and other map makers.
Grateful to see the end.
( If the translation is not good, don't care, please ) ; My custom maps: 101 mission

DethbyIT

@CJY101 -
Thank you for your comments. Obviously you care a lot about CW and spent a lot of time in creating your post.

Later today I will post a couple of 'Spoilers' that should help players survive long enough to get down to the lower chamber and finish the attack.

With an average playing time of over 30 minutes, this game is going to be a real challenge for most members and I think that is the reason for all of the negative votes.