All systems are red

Started by folcstret, September 02, 2016, 06:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

folcstret

All sectors in Tormrnted and Prospector zones are red. I can't travel anywhere. It is game bug or I failed some conditions?

Karsten75

Are you playing on Steam? it gets a bit more complicated if you have Steam Cloud synchronization turned on.

folcstret

Yes I play in Steam. I don't understnd what I must to do. All sectors are red. System where I am has no planet and star is black hole.

knucracker

All of the systems show red because the game thinks there is an inhibitor in each system.  The game stores information on inhibitors in systems in this file:
c:\Users\YOUR_USER\Documents\creeperworld3\data\inhibited.dat
That means that file got deleted, zeroed out, became corrupt, etc. 

So step one is to turn off steam cloud sync temporarily (so steam doesn't keep putting back bad files).

If you just want the game returned to a playable state and don't want to get into the weeds, then rename or move this directory:
c:\Users\YOUR_USER\Documents\creeperworld3

You will return to a fresh state with that moved.
If you want to be a little more selective just rename or move this directory:
c:\Users\YOUR_USER\Documents\creeperworld3\data
The game stores information about missions, systems, etc under that.  But downloaded maps, any maps you might have made, etc. are not stored under that.

Beyond that, it gets more complex and less fruitful.  For whatever reason you have at least several files/directories that were cleared or otherwise corrupted.  You can try to find by renaming or moving the following.  But even if you do the information is still lost... so there isn't much benefit.  Of course if you have a system backup or just a backup of you documents directory made before this problem, then just restore the 'creeperworld3' directory and you'll be good to go (again, with steam cloud sync turned off so it doesn't overwrite the restored files when you go to start the game back up).

If you want to try just specific files, then rename/move each of the following:
c:\Users\YOURUSER\Documents\creeperworld3\data\inhibited.dat
c:\Users\YOURUSER\Documents\creeperworld3\data\sectors\internal\200 (a directory)
c:\Users\YOURUSER\Documents\creeperworld3\data\sectors\internal\100 (a directory)
c:\Users\YOURUSER\Documents\creeperworld3\data\systemstats.dat
c:\Users\YOURUSER\Documents\creeperworld3\data\missionstats.dat