Can't get into chat

Started by CobraKill, October 03, 2011, 05:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraKill

I know chat was just switched to IRC (which honestly I have no idea what it is/how to use it)

Now I can't get into it. I click it and it continualsly loads.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

UpperKEES

Also, please see this problem with the IRC client.

Is saving bandwidth the reason the forum chat has been removed?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Grauniad

Quote from: CobraKill on October 03, 2011, 05:45:09 PM
I know chat was just switched to IRC (which honestly I have no idea what it is/how to use it)

Now I can't get into it. I click it and it continualsly loads.

Try downloading a Chat client as outlined in the announcement. Could be any one of a number of issues with your browser, and since you didn't post the type of browser, trying to help you is futile (my crystal ball is cloudy today).

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 03, 2011, 06:01:29 PM
Also, please see this problem with the IRC client.

Is saving bandwidth the reason the forum chat has been removed?

Virgil is moving to not support chat on Knuckle Cracker. And yes, the SMF chat client used a large amount of bandwidth, but it was not the only issue.

You should broach all issues with the new IRC chat with MadMag, who is the owner and operator of the new chat channel.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

CobraKill

Quote from: Grauniad on October 03, 2011, 06:06:42 PM

Try downloading a Chat client as outlined in the announcement. Could be any one of a number of issues with your browser, and since you didn't post the type of browser, trying to help you is futile (my crystal ball is cloudy today).

Sorry its IE9

Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

knucracker

It seems to work for me in firefox, chrome, and IE8 (I don't have 9 installed just yet).
But, you can also use other clients to access it.

Some other reasons for switching to this chat is that it supports many more users than I could here, and it keeps the CPU load down in my servers to not run the really inefficient smf chat integration.  Plus, MadMag has created some nice bots that sit in the chat channel.