Custom Map #768: A Tragedy Forgotten Part 1

Started by AutoPost, January 30, 2012, 08:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #768: A Tragedy Forgotten Part 1

Author: Ebon Heart and PeterPower

Desc:
You arrive to meet your long lost love just in time for all hell to break lose in this exciting series. When the princess is kidnapped by an evil demon, you must set out to rescue her and vanquish the beast. (The Plot is well worth reading here, as it makes the series that much better, and explains a lot of things that make no sense otherwise) Check description for more details. The poem used is mostly just bits and pieces of other poems, with a few of my own lines. Have fun, and don't get burnt!

Ebon Heart

A NOTE TO ANYONE HAVING TROUBLE.
1: THERE IS NO POSSIBLE ORDER OF EVENTS IN THIS MAP THAT CAN MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE.
2: GO DOWN THROUGH THE MAGMA PIT FIRST, OR THIS MAP BECOMES A SLOG.
3: MOVE ANTI CREEPER UP THROUGH THE PATH AT THE WIZARD'S FOOT TO INITIATE THE FINAL BATTLE, IT MAY TAKE A SECOND FOR THE DRONE TO ESCAPE, BUT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE GATE THERE DECAYING RIGHT AWAY.
I HOPE THIS LARGE CAPITALIZED TEXT HAS GOTTEN YOUR ATTENTION, AND I AM SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION, I'LL TRY TO KEEP THE NEXT MAP FROM BEING SO CONFUSING... OR AT LEAST EXPLAIN IT BETTER IN THE PLOT.

After many hours of hard work, PeterPower and I are proud to present what is looking like the start to a very epic series. So to kick things off, here you go. Read the plot for full enjoyment of the overall series. Also, to add just a little more awesomeness to this map, put on this song before playing. http://www.yourepeat.com/watch?v=EptSSXNHIfg Mute cw2 music, of course. Have fun!

Fields/terrain layout done by me.
Custom art/dragon drawing/general balancing(including drone timings) Done by PeterPower.
evilness contributed to by both of us. You can thank PeterPower for the final battle. :P

Full sized screen shot:
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

2b3o4o

Very VERY good job! Those fields must have taken days to make(at-least)! :o I loved how the dragon disperses as you fight your way into the magma pit, the idea of hiding in the moat at the beginning is very creative, and the wizard clearing away the fire; GENIUS!!!!!! :D :D *peaks at fields and faints*
Overall, this is HANDS DOWN THE BEST MAP I'VE EVER PLAYED!
Oh dear! I seem to have forgeten to even mention the art?! I shall proceed to ramble on about that as well. :P
The castle was remarkably well done, and as for the dragon; it was a true masterpiece! The only thing remotely  bad about this map is the bit of castle underground. But that was unavoidable and doesn't matter that much any way. GET IT NOW!(or later :P)

PeterPower

You might thank me for the final battle existing, but thank Ebon_Heart for doing all the work to create it! As well as the amazing feilds. We had trouble with the decaying tile images, especially on the see-thru tiles, so I finally decided on burnt tiles. I think it looks good in the fire and also good underground as it looks like the tiles crumble away into nothing.

The dragon definately looks great, but Ebon_Heart animating it is what made it amazing. I learned alot about advanced feild usage watching him design this map.

Also note: there is a Screenshot Walkthrough  at http://dagongame.blogspot.com.

Ebon Heart

well you can at least thank PeterPower for the dragon drawing. lol. Also, I'll post a guide here soon for anyone who's stuck on the map. For now if you can't figure out what to do, message me or PeterPower.

Nate Dog

Amazing map, and very glad i saved before unleashing the water. I'm gonna have to come back and finish this tomorrow with many, many more weapons. No seriously people, save before you even think about using a repulser ;)

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Nate Dog on January 31, 2012, 12:04:40 AM
Amazing map, and very glad i saved before unleashing the water. I'm gonna have to come back and finish this tomorrow with many, many more weapons. No seriously people, save before you even think about using a repulser ;)
actually, you can use all the repulsors you want... as long as they're facing down. Move that ice pit up through the castle... and get ready for one heck of a fight! Make sure you have lots of blasters, and shields. Flooding the magma pit with water helps quite a bit, too. Also, what do you guys think of the plot? I haven't gotten any real feedback on it yet.

AbrahamC

LOVE this map! Cant wait for the others.

Oh and did I mention the music is a must.
Victor: I did something bad.
Echo: What did you do?
Victor: Nobody will tell me.

My Stuff -
Maps By AbrahamC CW1
Maps By AbrahamC CW3

MuadDib

I'm stuck near the end of the map. I've gone from above, destroying the dragon then attacking through the frozen AC, and from below, which seems closer to the intent. The dig sites have all been dug in both cases, but for the ones keeping the large drone from getting out. Is this a bug or did i miss something ?

Ebon Heart

Quote from: MuadDib on January 31, 2012, 06:13:43 AM
I'm stuck near the end of the map. I've gone from above, destroying the dragon then attacking through the frozen AC, and from below, which seems closer to the intent. The dig sites have all been dug in both cases, but for the ones keeping the large drone from getting out. Is this a bug or did i miss something ?
When the water starts flowing into the castle, the dragon will release the large drone. It says this in the Holocube by the wizards foot... But I was worried about this not being obvious enough. Like Nate Dog said, save before you even THINK of using a repulsor pointing at that castle. And as I've pointed out several times, the map is easier when you read the text. :P

MuadDib

I've read all the texts, but i dont see what is supposed to happen. Perhaps i shouldnt have destroyed the dragon first ? Then i need to start over.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: MuadDib on January 31, 2012, 07:05:44 AM
I've read all the texts, but i dont see what is supposed to happen. Perhaps i shouldnt have destroyed the dragon first ? Then i need to start over.
No, no. Destroy the dragon. You have to use repulsors to dislocate the water in the frozen spring. When the water flows into the castle, the drone is released. Aside from destroying all the water on the map (next to impossible to do, and would take hours) there is no way to make the map impossible.
For everyone's ease of mind, let me explain how the trigger works. There is an anti creeper pin field under the holocube under the wizard's foot. Every frame, it tries to grab anti creeper from there and bring it to a cell containing 2.47B anti creeper. If it has anti creeper there, this subcell overflows and becomes creeper. if it does this, then that creeper is teleported to the space with the big drone in it, so that it can decay the wall there. Then that happens, the gateway digs itself out.

MuadDib

Ok i get it now :) I didnt understand what you meand by "flood the castle", as for me the castle didnt exist anymore ;)

J

Great map/use of fields (those fields are not hard (no field is hard to create, to me) to create but it takes hours (mayby days) to create, and then you must find the mistakes you made somewhere).

After moving in that pit, I built reactors everywhere I could and 2 blasters to kill the drones. Then I started to dig ground to build reactors while slowly building addictional blasters and 2 launchers to kill the creeper before it kills mine. (I had 2 rows filled with 2 reactors, 2 launchers and blasters) After I got the gems I got into the cave (make sure you have your upgraded your weapons (tech))(from this point the gateway will start digging to your LS, start building a few blasters) and I killed the dragon and the emitters in the cave. I did not prepare for the final drone battle and I didn't save the game. My blasters were still near and I had 2 MR's ready to keep some drones moving there, until the creeper destroyed one of them.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: J on January 31, 2012, 10:10:43 AM
Great map/use of fields (those fields are not hard (no field is hard to create, to me) to create but it takes hours (mayby days) to create, and then you must find the mistakes you made somewhere).

After moving in that pit, I built reactors everywhere I could and 2 blasters to kill the drones. Then I started to dig ground to build reactors while slowly building addictional blasters and 2 launchers to kill the creeper before it kills mine. (I had 2 rows filled with 2 reactors, 2 launchers and blasters) After I got the gems I got into the cave (make sure you have your upgraded your weapons (tech))(from this point the gateway will start digging to your LS, start building a few blasters) and I killed the dragon and the emitters in the cave. I did not prepare for the final drone battle and I didn't save the game. My blasters were still near and I had 2 MR's ready to keep some drones moving there, until the creeper destroyed one of them.
No field is hard to create? While I agree these fields weren't terribly difficult (just a lot of work), I don't agree with this statement. Let's see if you still say that after part 4 of this series.