Custom Map #768: A Tragedy Forgotten Part 1

Started by AutoPost, January 30, 2012, 08:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyP2000

Once again, awesome map. I am really looking forward to the next one.
Vote Tony!

DethbyIT

Quote from: PeterPower on January 31, 2012, 06:59:18 PM
But, on the other hand my "Dagon" series is unofficially discontinued because of the interest. :)

I personally hope that isn't true. The Dagon Dragon has been great fun.
dbit

Ebon Heart

Quote from: DethbyIT on February 02, 2012, 12:52:49 PM
But, on the other hand my "Dagon" series is unofficially discontinued because of the interest. :)

dbit
Once we get to part 4 in this series, Peter will probably have a lot of time to work on his Dagon series... That map is gonna take forever with the field work. And I hope to get First Encounters parts 5-7 out soon. They're pretty much done. They all just need a bit more work before they're ready for the public.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

lich98

Quote from: Ebon Heart on February 02, 2012, 02:06:04 PM
Quote from: DethbyIT on February 02, 2012, 12:52:49 PM

dbit
Once we get to part 4 in this series, Peter will probably have a lot of time to work on his Dagon series... That map is gonna take forever with the field work. And I hope to get First Encounters parts 5-7 out soon. They're pretty much done. They all just need a bit more work before they're ready for the public.
I thought you wanted someone to post a map before you did that... ;)
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

PeterPower

QuoteI personally hope that isn't true. The Dagon Dragon has been great fun.
dbit
Haha, Yah, Dagon-DRAGON was actually not a coincidence. In the original plot for that series I had planned Dagon to die in the last level and come back as a benevolent (Asian) dragon who helps Sarah and Samuel fight an overwhelming military force. Of course at this point, there are so many dragons flying around in my levels, I'm thinking about changing the plot! :)
I hope I will get back to the Dagon series eventually. ;)

lich98

-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

TrickyDragon

anything doing is worth over-doing :D  really fun and love the triggers you got there *.~ i was thinking about doing something like that, just never had the time to put it to use lol  cant wait for more,  and dont forget i am here to help :D (< wants sneak peeks)
This is Life,  Life happens.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: TrickyDragon on February 02, 2012, 10:25:19 PM
anything doing is worth over-doing :D  really fun and love the triggers you got there *.~ i was thinking about doing something like that, just never had the time to put it to use lol  cant wait for more,  and dont forget i am here to help :D (< wants sneak peeks)

I'm not sure that "Ebon Hear PeterPower and TrickyDragon" would fit in the author space. :P you'll get to see part 2 when it's ready... Shouldn't be too much longer, presuming I'm able to use my laptop this weekend. (I've been having some medical issues recently, which may cause a slight delay) but don't worry, CAT scan results came in today, and it's nothing life threatening. I'm condemned to an iPhone with low brightness settings for now.
EDIT: also, lich, I gave up on trying to get Dbit to post a map. He has more stubbornness than I have patience. :P

lich98

Quote from: Ebon Heart on February 02, 2012, 10:58:05 PM
Quote from: TrickyDragon on February 02, 2012, 10:25:19 PM
anything doing is worth over-doing :D  really fun and love the triggers you got there *.~ i was thinking about doing something like that, just never had the time to put it to use lol  cant wait for more,  and dont forget i am here to help :D (< wants sneak peeks)

I'm not sure that "Ebon Hear PeterPower and TrickyDragon" would fit in the author space. :P you'll get to see part 2 when it's ready... Shouldn't be too much longer, presuming I'm able to use my laptop this weekend. (I've been having some medical issues recently, which may cause a slight delay) but don't worry, CAT scan results came in today, and it's nothing life threatening. I'm condemned to an iPhone with low brightness settings for now.
EDIT: also, lich, I gave up on trying to get Dbit to post a map. He has more stubbornness than I have patience. :P
How sad for him I'd like to see him post a map sometime soon ;)
-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

PeterPower

WALKTHROUGH.
This is a screenshot walkthrough for those of us who don't have fast internet. :)
http://dagongame.blogspot.com (yes, it's on the same Blog as my Dagon#8 walkthrough)

1:30: Enter the pond, Build 4 reactors, then build a Blaster and set it to only shoot drones (or you'll run out of energy). If you do this out of order or too slow, the drone will explode on your LS, but you won't die. Collect the holocube and dig out 1 tile and place a sheild. (or the water will drain out of the pond) Continue filling the tunnels with more reactors. I used the 27 Tech points to upgrade Weapon Range and Reduce Cost of Building Units.

5:33: This shows the dig out pattern I chose. notice on the left by the entrance to the cavern i have dug 2 tiles width. This should be filled with 18 Blasters if you don't want to lose many when you open the cavern.

10:52: After entering the cavern I dug up to the first emmiter and nullified it easily since the feilds keep the creeper from flowing out up there. Fill in all the empty areas with reactors. Build a Portal next to your ship and a second one down at the bottom left. Note at the top right I have set the dirt to all be dug up around the emmiters. Don't waste one shot on that lovely looking creeper cross until all 8 emmiters are dead. Keep your Launchers out of range or you'll be wasting precious energy shooting into the cross. Now is also a good time to start building Tech Domes if you haven't finished upgrading your weapon Range and Fire Rate to LV3. I also maxed out the Packet Speed.

11:56: Work your way up to the second emmiter in the cavern and destroy it. Build another portal on the far right and start planting nullifiers around the creeper cross so that each one destroys 2 emmiters. Note: the first one I set (Left side) must be placed directly after the drone comes out of the gateway and have full packet speed and over 50 extra energy or else the next drone comes out and breaks your nullifier as it's counting down. Once the emmiters are destroyed I had about 12 Launchers mopping up the creeper in the cross. Start at the top so you can get the Repulsor. Gravity will aid you. Occasionally a drone will try to use your portals so deactivate them if you see it in time. Note as well I still only have 4 Blasters set to Drone-Kill at the top protecting the LS. These will take out the top drones as well as any stray drones from the bottom. (There is a MUCH faster way to beat this level, by going up, right, and then down into the frozen AC lake but it is not neccesary to beat the level so I didn't include it here)

18:37: Over 100 Blasters all lined up. This is not a joke. The worst thing that can happen to you is even ONE drone escapes and happily runs amok through your base, destroying all your reactors, leaving you so energy-starved you can't finishe the level. Protect that bottom left entrance to prevent this. Also notice I have 9 repulsors pushing AC down into the cavern and another moving down to push left under the LS. At some point previous I also took out the 2 drone gateways in the sky. To trigger the final battle point a repulsor up so it shoots AC into the hole behind the wizard. Keep filling the sky with AC bc once the final battle starts the Dragon comes back. I moved the Launchers up and spread them out in the sky to prepare for this as well. (another trick is to use sheilds to eliminate the problem but I won't reveal that secret here) :)

Good Luck and get ready for level 2 coming soon!

Ebon Heart

Here's a video walkthrough for everyone. I had to split it into 4 parts.... I ALMOST got it done in the videos, but needed just like 5 more seconds in the last one. And I didn't feel like doing another video so you can see some launchers pick off a few subcells of creeper.
Part 1, initial survival and digging: http://screencast.com/t/SIc9TeUpI
Part 2, busting open the pit: http://screencast.com/t/4mHkgCr0 After this, I cleared that magma pit, thus dispanding the dragon. I also dug around that gateway in order to place nullifiers. I felt as though text was fine for here. Remember, don't bother attacking the gateway until after you've taken care of all 8 emitters.
Part 3, nullifying the gateway, mopping up the top, and preparing for the fight: http://screencast.com/t/kzT4VIdi After this, I prepared for the final battle... lots and lots and lots of building, no need to show it here. You can see what I did in the next movie.
Part 4, besting the beast: http://screencast.com/t/VD4Z160mTA Remember one thing... the area you're fighting the drones in is unstable. The creeper flows oddly. I nearly got this done in time. I just had a bit more creeper left when the video cut off. Sorry. Oh well, enjoy.

Also, if anyone is actually decent with videos... can you offer your services? If someone can volunteer to make videos for the next maps, I will be forever grateful. I just suck with videos... this was my 4th attempt. I got two blank screens, a corrupted file, and a series of 4 videos that are only 5 minutes long.
EDIT: apparently my Jing account has a limit to how much data people can stream from it, and these have been watched enough to cross that limit. :/

vaynthegreat

awesome map dudes very well put together story line as well "yes i read through the whole thing"  cant wait for the next ones took me longer then i wanted but i built a crap load of shields to help defend against something i didnt need that many but was still fun >.< first time playing this map ill have to get a better time on it in a day or 2 i got like 30 more maps to play on now

Ebon Heart

if you're actually reading the storyline, you're in for a treat when I finally get ATF2 done. :D It's almost there, it's just... procrastination. You know. lol.

MadMurphy

Just recorded myself playing this map. Skipped the dialog to keep it short.