Custom Map #8294: Calling for backup. By: Cal16

Started by AutoPost, April 08, 2020, 11:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8294: Calling for backup

Author: Cal16
Size: 256x90

Desc:
This map is an abomination. Don't play it if you're a beginner or if you have a heart condition. The start is difficult but help will arrive in around 8 minutes if you can survive that long. The strongest emitters are active after 15 minutes, so don't be put off straight away! Make sure you save regularly in case you accidentally cut the digitalis. Good luck!

marvinitfox

umm.....

marvinitfox

oK.
So you need to do the thing, and the other thing before 2:30
then you need to do the other things by 2:47
then you can leisurely built up until 7:23, when you better have several of those things handy, or else.

And THEN, you have the remaining time until about 18:00 to do the other thing (9 times over), to be able to stop the other thing from doing horrid things to you.

No pressure!

Johnny Haywire

This looks pretty easy. I mean, he gave us a 50-energy packet! I'm going to try this map. Right after... right after I check with my cardiologist.

I'm sure it'll be easy.  ::)
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

callumh167

Yeah this one is the hardest one I've made, I'll probably do an easier version of it at some point.

The start needs to be completely optimal, as in no wasted packets going anywhere and build carefully with the reactors to not overstretch.

For the spores:
Spoiler
You have 3 minutes until the first spores come, so spend the first 2:20 getting as many reactors as possible together. You only need around 9/10 beams as they come evenly 5 spores every 6 seconds after that point, just make sure you have the energy surplus to keep them loaded.
[close]
For the creeper:
Spoiler
The creeper will start leaking into your base at 3:30 so don't waste packets on building defenses until you have to, a handful of mortars will be enough to hold it back until the friendly runners come. Set the mortars to "creeper only" so they don't cut the digitalis, or better yet just keep them out of range of the digitalis altogether.
[close]
When the runners come:
Spoiler
If you can snipe them you will generate a lot of AC to help you out, just be mindful that they will still stun your units if left to roam around.
[close]
The big emitters:
Spoiler
The 6 biggest emitters and the two 25 spore towers come online after 15 minutes. I deliberately allowed some of them to be nullified early so get a guppy together before that point, you can then use the powerzones for weapons.
[close]
Finishing the game:
Spoiler
You still need to nullify everything and collect all the tech to get a score. This includes the runner nests that were initially helping you!
[close]

I had intended for the map to take around an hour but it was more difficult getting a footing on the final island than I anticipated. Well done to anyone who has posted a score, I found it very difficult and I made the bloody thing and knew the timings for everything!

marvinitfox

I can handle the start.
For the spores:
Spoiler
I directly take those two islands. Beams on the islands(3 each on PZ) vaporize the spores
There is enough time to take both of these islands, and build the Beams. AMPLE time. Like... about 1.3 seconds spare!
[close]
The runners are nice, except for the rare one that spills a *huge* creep instead of AC. IS this intentional?
My problem is getting to those 9 emitters before the *************immense************* tidal wave approaches from the right.

D0m0nik

Wow great map. Had to restart a good few times.

Spoiler
I took out the spore islands and used PZ beams stocked by guppies to take care of the spores.
I also stopped packets to the bertha at the start, it is a big drain and those first 4 minutes are crictical.
To take the first emitter I loaded up loads of sprayers and then destroyed them in the air to land little bombs of 100 AC just beyond the nullifier, made it quite easy, strafers are a waste of time but may offer some support if you like.
If you cut the digitalis start again or reload!
[close]

BilboGCL

Wooooo-haaaooo - great challenge! Already restarted a couple of times,
Right now, best strat seems to be
Spoiler
to take out the no-threat islands, place a beam (with TWO guppies) on the nearest to base PZ.
[close]
Well, and on my next try I should make sure, that I reach and take out the 9 pairs of beam and emmies by ~20 minutes...
Next try tomorrow ;)

Greetings from The Shire!
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!

Lightforger

Nice map.

Destroying the 25-spore islands before they activate is definitely required.

The runners that sometimes drop creeper instead of AC is when they die in >147 anti-creep, resulting in getting flipped.

Personally i found the end to be a bit less, not very hard creeping forward with bertha's, but hindered by terrain. In the end a ton of strafers took care of most of it.