Editing Tools?

Started by Shimizu, February 22, 2012, 04:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shimizu

Maybe there already exists a way to do this, but...

Import Fields:
I know you can clone an existing field within the same map, but I'd like to see a way to 'save' a field as a separate entity, that could then be imported into another map project (in the same sort of way that custom tiles etc. can be).  Particularly because I often come up with something I really like, but then I decide I hate the rest of the map and want to start over and I have to painstakingly try to recreate all the field cells/actions. 

Custom Horizontal Size:
Maybe its just me but I find it incredibly irritating that at the default map width it is impossible to properly CENTER anything because of the width of the tiles and the width of your ship.  If it was just ONE tile thicker, I would be a happy Shim.  But I don't see a way to do this :(   Obviously I understand the need for a horizontal limit to avoid unsightly scrollbars but I would think it should be possible to increase X by a little bit no?

Additional Null Tiles for Aesthetic Purposes:
At the moment we're restricted to a small handful of tiletypes;

normal
normal 10
normal 25
decaylong
decaymed
decayshort
solid

For tile types.  What I'm suggesting is the ability to have a 'pallete' of tiles, pre-created and loaded in the same way, but having more than one 'graphic' for what constitutes a normal-3 tile so that you could pick and choose which one you are using, if that makes sense.  Again this is completely irrelevant to gameplay but would allow even more fun graphic creations!
Meow?

2b3o4o

Quote from: Shimizu on February 22, 2012, 04:32:05 PM
Maybe there already exists a way to do this, but...

Import Fields:
I know you can clone an existing field within the same map, but I'd like to see a way to 'save' a field as a separate entity, that could then be imported into another map project (in the same sort of way that custom tiles etc. can be).  Particularly because I often come up with something I really like, but then I decide I hate the rest of the map and want to start over and I have to painstakingly try to recreate all the field cells/actions. 

Custom Horizontal Size:
Maybe its just me but I find it incredibly irritating that at the default map width it is impossible to properly CENTER anything because of the width of the tiles and the width of your ship.  If it was just ONE tile thicker, I would be a happy Shim.  But I don't see a way to do this :(   Obviously I understand the need for a horizontal limit to avoid unsightly scrollbars but I would think it should be possible to increase X by a little bit no?

Additional Null Tiles for Aesthetic Purposes:
At the moment we're restricted to a small handful of tiletypes;

normal
normal 10
normal 25
decaylong
decaymed
decayshort
solid

For tile types.  What I'm suggesting is the ability to have a 'pallete' of tiles, pre-created and loaded in the same way, but having more than one 'graphic' for what constitutes a normal-3 tile so that you could pick and choose which one you are using, if that makes sense.  Again this is completely irrelevant to gameplay but would allow even more fun graphic creations!
Import fields? It seems unlikely that you could use two fields that are exactly the same on different maps.
But I fully agree with the last part of your post, I have considered this myself before. :)

Ebon Heart

as for creating centered maps... one solution is to use solid terrain to make the map one cell thinner, so that it's an odd number and the ship centers nicely. Also, one thing that was suggested on the past was a custom tile overlay. So you can create a large image that will be put over the custom tiles, so you can customize them more precisely. I liked the idea, but I think that only about 1% of creeper world users would ever use this, and only 10% of those would ever use it well.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

lich98

so in other words 0.1% of CW2 players would use the functions right? :P im a math person so i like this better
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Ebon Heart

Quote from: lich98 on February 22, 2012, 05:45:58 PM
so in other words 0.1% of CW2 players would use the functions right? :P im a math person so i like this better
and I'm not one of them. lol.

Echo51

Or you could make the center 2 block wide to center it properly aswell :D This would still look silly, and ofcourse the ship would be awkward.

(Your name sounds familiar too..)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Ranakastrasz

I would use an import field function, assuming it included the abillity to actually add the field blueprint to an existing field, because then I could easily construct pipes without a custom mouse stability program (I wonder if they exist) or taking a long time, but rather just be able to have certain patterns be reproduced without undue time spent.

Ebon Heart

one simple way to import and export fields would be to convert the field box to some kind of text format you can copy and paste into the editor.

lich98

Saving fields would be nice, especially if you had to test something you could move it more easily.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra