Main Menu

My new computer.

Started by allu, November 19, 2013, 03:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allu

Here is my part list so far. It is around the price range I want. If you disagree with something please speak out loud. I gained it from a friend of mine. He seems to know quite alot but since I don't myself know that much about this subject I wanted to hear some other opinions.

1000GB Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003

Intel Core i5 4670K 4x 3.40GHz So.1150 BOX

ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AMD 990FX So.AM3+ / ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Intel Z87 So.1150 Dual

550 Watt XFX Pro Core Edition Non-Modular

Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW) Tower

120GB Samsung 840 Evo Series 2.5" (6.4cm)

8GB TeamGroup Value DDR3-1600 DIMM CL11

2048MB Asus GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II

They appear to be at around 700 euros. ( Fits to my budget) This doesn't include a screen or a case. You are free to suggest those aswell.
If you need more information just ask. If something appears to be completly wrong I have propably failed copypasting.

Edit: That could be a possible screen DELL U2312HM 23" ULTRASHARP IPS 16:9/1920x1080/VGA,DVI,DP/8ms/PIVOT

Grauniad

What store or online retailer do you use for your parts?  A few of the parts doesn't show up on the US sites, so I used the nearest I could find.

Here's a fun website for you:  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24YgT

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler:  Thermalright Macho-120 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler  ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard:  ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory:  Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.94 @ Amazon)
Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply:  XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $802.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-19 15:31 EST-0500)

I'd switch out that cooler for the Corsair H55

Apart from that, I think your build looks reasonable for a budget build, it would help if you were to mention what you want it for, what you have and what your budget looks like.

Cases: Do you want a quiet case, a windowed case; Do you want lots of flashing lights or a silent, quiet beast? Colors, painted interior, steel/aluminum, all those things matter.

If space is a concern, and you don't plan to upgrade much, you can switch to a Micro-ATX board and use a smaller case (should still support up to 16GB of memory and a video card. Easier to col with a liquid cooler since you don't need that massive cooler inside the case.

Edit: Yea, while I was typing you changed your configuration to include the Intel parts. 
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

allu

Actually my prices are from Warenkorb ( I live in Finland). The build is for gaming ( Strategy games).  Case: Quiet would be good. I don't think color really matters.
Edit: Why would you switch cooler to that one?

Grauniad

I prefer closed-loop liquid coolers over air/fan coolers. They make for better cooling and are quieter. Just ask Virgil - he is just getting his new rig in order.

If you can give me a link to Warenkorb, I'll have a look at what's around.

I personally prefer cases made by Fractal Design or Nanoxia - their Deep Silence series. Here in the US those cases hover around the $120-80 price depending on size and specials on offer. You can get pretty good cases for even around $50.

And as I said, you have to take space considerations in mind. As well as how much you want to expand your rig. Typically you can only sensibly expand in the first 4-6 years or so. Later expansion isn't as effective since the base technologies moves on so much.

Grauniad

That's funny. Something got lost in translation.  :)

Warenkorb is "shopping basket", but the site you're buying from is actually mindfactory.de.

Have a look at the Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 (mid-tower) and the Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 (Micro-ATX)cases and see if you like either of them. They come with and without windows. The non-windowed version is slightly cheaper and will be quieter since it will have more insulation. They are both available on the Mindfactory site and you can find reviews on various Internet sites as well as full specifications on the Nanoxia site.

Pay particular attention to the clearance (space) available for graphics cards and make sure that at the least it will fit the card you are interested in.

Once we settle that, we'll do on and look at a few other things.

Edit: A very nce review in German) of the new Deep Silence 4 is here ()  even if you don't understand German, it shows the case off quite well. Note that they have the white, a black and an "anthracite grey" case in the series, so you have a little choice on color.

A few months back I built an orange computer in the orange Bitfenix Prodigy case and it was, to say the least, interesting. It was the first time I tried my hand at a mini-board and very small case and it takes a bit of learning.

allu

I'll take a closer look to your suggestions tomorrow. Sadly the ongoing exam week is drawing most of my at the moment. Hopefully I can offer faster responses during the weekend.
Edit: My germany needs a bit more practice.

Grauniad

I was thinking a bit about your processor. You chose the AMD FX-6300. That is a 6-core processor and by all benchmark standards it is a very fine processor. You should, however pause to consider if you will be running workloads that will benefit from a 6-way multi-processor. Very few games do. Some video and digital photo processing packages do. For this reason, you should also look at the single-processor performance of your chosen processor.

It is easy in a benchmark to start 6 or 8 or 12 instances of Prime95 to see how well the processor perform. It is entirely a different thing to have various parts of a game co-ordinate between threads so that they create a harmonious experience.

Having said that, I must once more reiterate that for budget-PCs, AMD is a fine choice.

The Intel i5 processor is probably what I'd recommend for a very good gaming rig at a low price, but it is around 2x the price of the AMD processor. If one evaluates only the single-thread performance of the two candidates, the i5 is almost twice as fast though.

allu

I will go for Intel. Other people I asked for had similar opinions to yours. I edited the changes to OP.

Edit:According to mindfactory and pcpartpicker it seems that my original cooler has 17-21db while your suggestion, The corsair according to link you provided, has 30.3 db. So it doesn't looks quieter.

Grauniad

I will look into it a little more, but have you seen the size of that Macho cooler? it probably has specific space requirements and not all cases might have enough clearance for it. fan coolers still require additional fans to move the hot air out of the case. I liquid cooler removes the heat to the radiator and that is then at one of the boundaries of the case where one of those fans (front, rear or top) is re-purposed for dual-use airflow. It leaves the interior cooler and in my experience most liquid-cooled PCs are near silent.

I'm hoping Virgil will put a short not in this thread to share his experience with his new build. In his previous build, he also had one of those huge fan-based heatsinks.

knucracker

Yeah, in my new build I went with this cooler:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Motherboard-Liquid-Cooler-BXTS13X/dp/B00CYX45CK
This was my first liquid cooler and I had only ever used air heat sinks before. 

'Silence' is in the top 3 of my priorities.  I don't want to be sitting here listening to fan noise while I'm coding and testing all day.  So I went with a case with no window and that had insulated covers over exposed vents that would not be used. 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020

So the liquid cooler is very nice.  It is closed loop so you have to take their word that it contains an liquid... you never deal with any liquid.  You mount the heatsink pump unit on the CPU, stick the radiator on the back of the case with the fan exhausting out through it, and you are good to go.  The fan is a PWM 4 pin fan so its speed will vary based on need.  Now, I also ended up changing the fan that came with the liquid cooler to this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

The reasons weren't noise, I had simple received a faulty fan to start with.  But this fan is very quiet blowing air over the radiator.  I can't hear a thing unless I open the case door and stick my ear in the case.

So all told, this is the quietest system I have ever built.  Sure if I drive the gtx 770 it's fans will spin up and make a little noise.  But for everyday work (which included development and game testing) I don't hear anything from the box.  Since the OS and my work are done on SSD's I don't even hear any hard drive noise.

All that said, the closed loop water cooling route can add to the system cost.  I'm sure you can use a stock heatsink or any purely air based heat sink and have a perfectly fine system for less money.  You may pick up a little noise since you have to move all of that heat out of the case one way or another and only with air, but the system won't be loud by any means of measurement.

Grauniad

Quote from: allu on November 21, 2013, 04:46:06 AM
I will go for Intel. Other people I asked for had similar opinions to yours. I edited the changes to OP.

OK, here is an updated PCPartpicker list. Feel free to put it in the OP and to modify it any way you see fit. I chose a motherboard I know and that are halfway in the middle price-wise of all the motherboards.  If you decide to go for a small case, then this motherboard may not fit and we have to look at an alternative.

I'm sticking with a liquid cooling solution since I'm bone-headed and believe they are better than air-based coolers. :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard:  ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory:  Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($255.66 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:  XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $936.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 11:07 EST-0500)

allu

I was wondering wether thishttp://www.legitreviews.com/bitfenix-outlaw-pc-gaming-case-review_1750 case would be sufficient or not? Atleast it would have a decent price.

Grauniad

In the USA, that case has been discontinued and is not available for order anymore. :(

Here are the considerations I'd apply to a case. Feel free to look for other cases that meet these (or your own set of considerations -  if you list your's I may be able to help you look for a case :) ).

Will my graphics card and motherboard fit in the case?
Does it have enough external bays and internal bays for the equipment I want to put in it?
Does it have space to mount water cooling radiators? If using air-cooling, does it have enough space to allow the heatsink?
I prefer steel to aluminum in the construction. Make the case heavier, but at the same time steel has less harmonic vibrations for noise.
I look for insulated cases that has noise-dampening material applied to the inside of the case.
I prefer non-windowed over windowed - more noise dampening material than otherwise. My most recent case has a window, though - the price was right!
:)
The case should not have  side or top openings - if there are fan mount positions, they should be closed until I choose to open them. Again, for noise and to keep dust out of the case.
All fan positions should have filters that can be removed to clean for dust.
The inside of the case should be painted.
Pay some attention to the ease of access to optical drives.
Pay some attention to the location of the connectors (USB, headphones, eSATA, etc.) Will it be convenient to access from where you will place the case? How about the power/reset switches? One case I got did not have  a HDD activity light - that was a pain.
Is there space for cable routing behind the motherboard back-plate?
How large are the fan mount positions? 120mm fans are quieter than 80mm fans, and 140mmfans than 120mm fans.
How are the side panels removed? Thumbscrews or do you need a screwdriver or...?
Is it easy to mount drives? Drive trays, etc?
Can some drive cages be removed to allow for more airflow?

I'm sure there are a few more, but this should get you going. :) 

Happy hunting.

MadMag

Here are the considerations:

Do I have more than enough power?
Can I fit even more RAM?
Is it possible to get a faster SSD?
Is it faster than a Zonda?
Does it look scary enough to get the wife not to clean it?
Can I store WWW in it, or do I need to buy one more HDD?
Does the gaming gear break when I lose?