Internet related stuff

Started by Blaze, October 17, 2013, 12:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepenguin

Quote from: Blaze on October 19, 2013, 06:01:29 PM
Quote from: teknotiss on October 19, 2013, 11:59:47 AM
you router will have a web address, it can be accessed through a browser window even if you have no interent cos you disabled something, mine starts 192.168.xxx.x (not giving all the nos just the ones in the public domain), your provider will be able to give you the addy, it's prob on their site, worth know this stuff, look up some stuff on that router and get some learning done  ;)
in that web/router page you can change ports and do all sorts, including reseting it.
DON'T mess about in there if you don't have too! not as bad as messing with a registry, but it can take a while to sort ::)

Wanted to take a peek, found my actual IP and not my public one, and the page loaded but it was just white... :D
I'll wait until we have another reason to call our ISP, chances are we'll be moving in about a year so we'll have to call to move service.

Then the Router will be put in my room and I'll have a nice wired connection for the best speed. ;D
Most routers require a wired connection to access system settings, for security reasons.

if you open up command prompt, and then type "ipconfig", the router's IP is listed as "default gateway".  be sure you are using the router's IP address and not your computer's IP address (which is listed as, well, "IP Address").  If that doesn't work, you need a wired connection.
We have become the creeper...

Blaze

Quote from: thepenguin on October 20, 2013, 07:35:40 PM
if you open up command prompt, and then type "ipconfig", the router's IP is listed as "default gateway".  be sure you are using the router's IP address and not your computer's IP address (which is listed as, well, "IP Address").  If that doesn't work, you need a wired connection.

It probably requires a wired connection then.
At least that's my guess since it seems most ports are closed, I'm guessing for security reasons as well.

And the only computer with a wired connection is so slow it might as well not run.
My dad said he'd run a wire up to my room if I wanted it, but I'll just wait for when we move again, seeing as the router is in the basement and I'm on the second floor. ::)

Edit: Nevermind, just looked and found the right IP and am in the router's settings. ;D

I'll have to remember this, I can reboot remotely, which is much better than going all the way down into the basement and unplugging it for 20 seconds to reboot.