Projected system Requirements

Started by JF-T, September 01, 2013, 06:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

Here's the "official" word from Virgil:

The main factors in performance are the fill rate of the GPU and the memory in the system.  GPU memory doesn't really matter... I don't use very much of it.  System memory get's jammed on because of all the data structures I have to keep up with and the modifiable textures I have to hold in system memory.   GPU feature wise, I don't use anything fancy...  there are no fancy shaders that use anything 'newer' like T&L.  DirectX9 is the minimal DirectX required by the game.

I'll write all of this up into a 'System Requirements' by the time of the release.  But as usual it will just be general guidelines.  The demo will be recommended for all to try first since it is free and can answer definitively if the game won't run well or at all.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

Quote from: Batstar on September 03, 2013, 07:46:26 AM
Fortunately anymore if you want a Decent gaming rig you can build them for VERY cheap. We're talking like 5-6hundred dollars for a good gaming rig. With the release of AMD's new APU's you can get a Processor and what amounts to a nearly full powered GPU on the same chip for pennies compared to what it used to cost. If you want some builds or whatnot let me know and I'll link you some stuff.

We have a useful "Builder's Corner" forum right here. :)

Additionally, if one keeps an eye on Newegg, it's easy to score a decent mid-range gaming machine like this one for about $400.

knucracker

For the system specs that JF-T listed....  hmmmm :)
The game will probably 'run'.  That's a maybe, though.  DirectX9 is a requirement and 2G is the minimum recommended system RAM.  With only 512M of ram, the game will almost certainly want to swap on maps of any size.  In my system I have 8G, and I have 1-2G free at any time because of all the dev tools I run.  When I run the game it will use around 500M minimally during a mission.  On a system with less memory it might not do that, but the trade off will be more aggressive garbage collection which will slow things down.

The GPU and CPU are also of large concern in JF-T's specs as well.  CW3 maps tend to run in the neighborhood of 20000 cells large (that's a rough average for the story maps.... they go up to 65535 or higher for DMD and custom maps).  CW1 maps were all 3360 cells.  CW1 updated the creeper every 4 frames (if I remember right).  CW3 does it every frame.  CW3 has real time unit motions, target tracking, and a giant list of other things it does.  There is digitalis, runners, CRPL cores, modifiable terrain (in real time)...  All of these things want CPU time and they can also place demands on the GPU.

All that said, CW3 should still run fine on hardware that is way, way below the latest top end system gaming specs.  Many business systems and many 'older' systems are just fine.  My own desktop is 4 years old.  So I don't want to give the impression that you need some monster gaming rig to play CW3.  But, CW3 does want 'more' than the previous games because it delivers so much more.

My best advice will be to try the free demo that I will make available.  If the demo runs super slow or not at all, then you will know your system needs to be paid a visit from the 21st century :)

JF-T

Hahaha, AWeosme V, G and everyone else (not neccesarily of the alphabet... jsut kidding Hahaha) For the... well way more answers than I expected. I'll give the demo a shot once it's released... and then I'll get myself more RAM if needed, then I'll give the demo another shot... 500 times in a row xD
But yeah... thanks you guys, really kinda helps to have such helpful people here :)
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

asmussen

Quote from: JF-T on September 03, 2013, 11:28:49 AM
Hahaha, AWeosme V, G and everyone else (not neccesarily of the alphabet... jsut kidding Hahaha) For the... well way more answers than I expected. I'll give the demo a shot once it's released... and then I'll get myself more RAM if needed, then I'll give the demo another shot... 500 times in a row xD
But yeah... thanks you guys, really kinda helps to have such helpful people here :)

If you do end up needing to upgrade, I'd really strongly consider just getting a new system at this point, unless you just absolutely can't afford it at this point in time and need to stretch your old system out as long as possible. I certainly wouldn't put any significant amount of money into trying to upgrade that old of a system. There are some very reasonable deals out there for low end computers that would still blow the doors off of what you have right now.
Shawn Asmussen

Grauniad

I dould be even more specific than asmussen. Do not put any more than $25 into that system. More than that is a waste of money.

JF-T

Will keep that cloesly in mind G, I bet I could probly jsut build my own computer if it absolutely came down to it for probably firt cheap compared to getting 'em all and shipping it across canada or something.
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

Grauniad

NCIX is Canada's answer to Newegg. Prices are good and they often have specials same as Newegg. Don't hesitate to ask if you need advice.

Jaeger_CDN

Memory Express is also an excellent option here in Canada.  I usually go between NCIX and ME depending on the better deal and whether shipping is free or not. 

Batstar

Newegg has an Canadian site as well and i've heard awesome things about NCIX too. I've got a buddy in Nova Scotia and he buys from both of them.