Things You Hate In Custom Maps

Started by Bongo, August 15, 2012, 01:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bongo

Somebody always hates something about every map but sometimes I see things in 10 different maps that irritate me to high heaven. So lets get griping. No judgements here. You hate what you hate.

---

I hate maps that have dark backgrounds, dark tiles, and dark creeper. If I wanted to NOT see the map I'm playing I'd put vaseline on my glasses.

---

I hate maps where you do nothing (or the same thing) for a LONG time. If you just watch the game for over 4 minutes (game time) then that map sucks. This includes watching digging, and just mindlessly killing hundreds of millions of units of Creeper.

---

What do you hate in maps?

teknotiss

i hate the dark/invisible maps too, but my real pet hate is for maps that have only one method to complete. i like options.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

2b3o4o

I hate maps where the creeper and anti-creeper are different colors for no reason, I hate maps that have ridiculous amounts of creeper, I hate maps with dark beams, I hate maps that have hidden creeper, and I hate maps shaped like mazes.

crazyone76

I hate maps that use the indestructible ground glitch
I hate maps that try to have a good story line but really fail
I hate 80 height maps that use only a little bit of space
go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

I hate long maps without any challenge in it.
I love short challenging/puzzle maps, or linked in the same map (removes the 'short' requirement).

This also means, I hate the maps the mojority like and I love the maps the majority hate :P

SmileyCoder

I hate maps that require you to watch a dark beam eat away at an emitter because there is no space to build nullifiers.

In general I dislike the maps with experimental's (especially if they are not truly required by the map design)

I dislike maps that might as well have been generated through the code generator. If I wanted a code map I would have chosen one.

I hate maps that are way to easy, where there is no pressure on time or safety.

I love maps that contain a new concept, such as Mirror Mirror, or maps where the map-maker has clearly put alot of effort into the design (such as ATF1+2)

Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Cavemaniac

1. Maps with custom tiles - I'm old and learning all the new tiles just to play one map is cerebrally challenging! Unless they're done well/important to the map like Tower Attack, or Fragile.

2. Maps with black creeper on a black background.

3. Maps with creeper and anti creeper the same colour.

4. Maps where the creeper colour has been changed for no reason, though I actually like it when the full spectrum of colour is used well.

5. Maps that require the the use of the maximum creeper flip/inversion bug/feature.

6. Maps that require you to mine all the ore in one spot so you can dig through the ground to actually get on with the game.

7. Maps with pointlessly long digs, or artificial delays. I've lost count of the number of maps I've all but finished, but then had to wait around for enemy dig packets to break through.

8. Fields. Wow - where did that come from?! I hate fields. I like the natural flow of creeper. It's self explanatory, easy to learn and 'honest'. And then a field pops up. The next thing you know you've got creeper teleporting in behind your lines, unstoppable waves of creeper, creeper that ignores repulsors etc etc. OK, OK, fields do have their place when done well - Liberation Pinball (and my favourite map of all time ) The Hotel would not be possible without them - also we would have missed out on Mirror Mirror and Banana Man (it's a dancing banana, what's not to like?!).

More ranting will follow when I think of them...

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Spatchcock

Maps with emitters with high amounts of health that take a long time to nullify for no good reason.

koker93

The dark beam - I don't see the point and almost always make an attempt to finish the map without it.  I was really happy when I read blog posts that basically said no overpowered weapons in CW3.

A nexus - mainly because by the time you get to a nexus the game is unloseable and it just adds 5 minutes to the end.  Plus it requires a dark beam.

I actually really like slog maps, but not when the slog is waiting on a dark beam to kill an emitter because its down a long, single cell hallway and no room for a nullifier.