Custom Map #1143: Drone Factory

Started by AutoPost, May 29, 2012, 03:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1143: Drone Factory

Author: Viper

Desc:
My Drone factory, please comment, rate and enjoy!! **Warning - Not for cheating!**

RealAndy

Meander

Unplayable due to lag.

I have a Intel i5 with 4gb mem, but this one is wayyyyyyy to slow. Every frame takes at least 5 seconds :(

viper00900

i have a phenom 6 core, it does lag a bit, but i will shrink the drone count and convert the digsites into fast decayable, thanks for the comments.
Wait until you see this --- oh wait....nevermind

JmfR

I liked the map. I agree with the lag I am running a P2 6core and 3 one gig radeon vid cards said I was only using 17% capacity but the first 3 minutes or so actualy took 12 change it around a bit so it flows better and I think average folks wouldnt mind this map at all it seems simple enough but plan carefuly

teknotiss

i think it's to do with how many dig gateways are trying to path dig packets at once. i thought i read on a forum post that every dig packet needs to have it's path calculated as it's generated.
with so many gates digging at once lag would be inevitable.
still fun to play after the digging ends, and if, like me, you watch documentaries while playing it's no big deal, and it's part of the learning curve for mappers.
well done for effort 8/10
nice one for playability 7/10 (would be higher but for the lag)
make more maps please  ;D
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Karsten75

If it wasn't for the lag, I might play it again, since my first attempt got a reasonable score, but the 7+ minutes game time was much longer in clock time.

I must tell you that this map is not really hard at all. It presents no challenge that is a threat, all one has to do is figure out optimum approach - which with Experimental weapons, usually amounts to the same thing for most maps.

Running at double speed might help a tiny bit, but not much. Not moving the mouse cursor without pausing first also helps.

toastkid

Quote from: Meander on May 29, 2012, 07:05:30 AM
Unplayable due to lag.

I have a Intel i5 with 4gb mem, but this one is wayyyyyyy to slow. Every frame takes at least 5 seconds :(

The lag is extremely bad, especially at first:  it eases off as the earth gets destroyed by the white enemy packets.  I stuck with it and finished it in 10 game minutes, which was about 45 mins real time.  It's a nice original map despite the lag.

viper00900

Thanks for the comments, I revisited the map, took out alot of the gateways and digsites.  As far as not being challenging, that depends on your skill level with the game :D  I never intended the map to be a great challenge.  Just something different from what I normally see.

Please make sure you play the revisit and let me know what you all think!!  And I plan on making more maps, just takes me time to think of how I want it laid out.  I typically stech my maps and make a map of the fields, node and gateway placement.
Wait until you see this --- oh wait....nevermind

RealAndy

I enjoyed it, you've made some good maps, keep them coming.  And don't get worried about negatives, sometimes some of the best maps have only a limited appeal but without them we wouldn't see the best of what the game has to offer.