Loss of Data from computer reboot

Started by rpwilson1, August 17, 2009, 08:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpwilson1

I was playing the sixteenth story level and, thanks to my apartments fickleness, had a 5 second power outage. After booting my computer back up I found that all progress I had made in the game gone! This is just slightly depressing  :'(

Is there a config file or something that I can tweak to regain my progress or do I need to just buck up and start taking on the completed levels again?

Zmann966

I have a similar problem,
It's happened to me twice now, my computer throws a hissy and locks up or a power surge and all my data's gone.
Once 6 missions in, once half-way through beating Tucana (I don't know about you but that level was REALLY hard for me XD)
It'd just be nice to get BACK to Tucana without beating everything else.

knucracker

Progress is saved at the end of each mission in a file....  But, thanks to hard drive caching the contents of the file may not be written out to disk if you have a power interrupt to your OS.  If you really want, send me a mail at (support at knucklecracker dot com) and tell me what mission you finished and I'll create a savegame file for you that unlocks up to that level.  Your score will only be "1" on missions up to the level you are on, though.  So if you are playing for score at some point you will want to go back and play those levels.

Btw, a hint on tucana:  You only need to build two mortars to stabilize the map.  A mortar on the left and a mortar on the right can keep all four of the 'lakes' beat down.  So build collectors in the middle and these two mortars fairly early... then position the mortars so they can fire at all two lakes each.  Do that and then it's up to you how you want to win the map.

Zmann966

Yeah,  :-\ I got that after a few dozen tries...  :D

Anyway I don't mind playing through again, (indeed I've already gotten back to Tucana) I was just hoping that this wouldn't happen everytime my computer decided to kick me in the nethers.
So there's a game data save file? Any chance of you letting me know which file it is so I can just back it up every time I start my game... just in case? :D

knucracker

On windows this is the file:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\CreeperWorld\gameData.dat

Zmann966

Excellent! That's what I suspected, but I obviously couldn't test it unless I crashed. And since I looked for it after my last crash and haven't crashed since, I wasn't sure.

Thanks, that should help me in case it happens again.

rpwilson1

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely be making backups of my save file from now on.