Custom Map #428: The Shipyard. By: Decagon

Started by AutoPost, December 09, 2016, 11:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #428: The Shipyard

Author: Decagon
Size: 280x280

Desc:
A lone transmission in deep space catches the attention of the HDF fleet as they soar through hyperspace, forcing them to change course and proceed toward a large fortified facility held by everyone's favourite AI menace, the Hydraxil Collective.

ChaosMaster130

I liked it. Then again I almost always like missions where you assault a well defended enemy base and sneak a small force inside to steal some sweet loot then bail out.
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

iwishforpie1

Got stuck on the start, I couldn't find a way to advance without draining my energy. It turned into a stale mate at the first energy source. Any help?

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: iwishforpie1 on December 09, 2016, 09:59:30 PM
Got stuck on the start, I couldn't find a way to advance without draining my energy. It turned into a stale mate at the first energy source. Any help?

Spoiler
Right, so at the beginning, almost as soon as you have built the Mine, build a few Omnis and plant them on the two nearest islands before they are fully mired by the particles. An Omni Reactors upgrade would help with this. That will not only absorb the particles, but also give you energy. Bringing Omnis to the centre islands also helps to turn the Emitter there, which is really useful in the long run.

One thing to have a look at is the design of all of the ships in the roster. Lasers are plentiful, which gives ships insane particle-stopping ability. I suggest using ships like the Fighter in choke points to take the brunt of the particles flooding in.

Be careful not to approach the Defense Platform to the left of the beginning area. It won't be going down easily, so I suggest you build your strongest ships (the Heavy Cruisers) before you attempt to take it down.

Okay, so from the beginning, I suggest doing this:

• Build mine and claim ore deposits with HQ.
  • Assign Amp Gem to Omni Reactors and build Omnis to claim the island to the north, and one of the central islands. Flip the central Emitter if you can.
  • Build two or three Frigates, the Fighter, an Ion Frigate (to ward off Stunners) and begin constructing a Destroyer. If low on energy, make sure to disable their tanks to prevent them from hoarding energy unnecessarily.
  • Build an RC and take the Emitter to the north out. Laser-bearing ships are useful in this encounter. This gives you more room to breathe and provides a second Energy Source for you to use for the assault on the next island. Be careful of the guns in the center.
  • If you can, try building the Heavy Cruisers (and maybe one of the Carriers) as early as possible, since they take a long time to build. Disable their tanks as well, so that they don't hoard energy.
And from there I'd say you should be good to go. Do tell me if you're still having problems.
[close]
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

Interesting map. For a reliable time, follow the guide, build everything, then press right with MK7s, warp the HQ into the back of that Struc barrier to stop rebuilding of it, and get the Omnis in as soon as possible.

Keeper, I disapprove of your killing a perfectly good HQ, including what I assume was a resident AI.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: GoodMorning on February 06, 2017, 01:36:05 AM
Interesting map. For a reliable time, follow the guide, build everything, then press right with MK7s, warp the HQ into the back of that Struc barrier to stop rebuilding of it, and get the Omnis in as soon as possible.

Keeper, I disapprove of your killing a perfectly good HQ, including what I assume was a resident AI.

Hehe, well, not only is the new HQ more powerful, but the whole aspect of warping your HQ behind enemy lines (which, might I add, I usually find a bit of a cheesy tactic) is also straight away nullified. And, it gives my later maps a bit more difficulty since there are no warp-ins.

Anywho, glad you found the map interesting. :D
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

tornado

I kinda want to know how you did the HQ ship(specifically, how you got the unbuilt Fighter base). I kinda want to steal this(should i ever get around to making a map).
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

Dark Ambition

Quote from: tornado on March 01, 2017, 03:19:29 PM
I kinda want to know how you did the HQ ship(specifically, how you got the unbuilt Fighter base). I kinda want to steal this(should i ever get around to making a map).

For the HQ ship, you can download a custom HQ from the Exchange and edit them and make your own ship from them, I have like 5, and as for the unbuilt-ness of it, I think he just took away the power supply of the ship before it could finish building.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: tornado on March 01, 2017, 03:19:29 PM

In the map editor, you can set how much "Intrinsic Energy" an AI ship has. If you set this to a negative number, the ship will drain itself of power. Use a temporary energy source to provide power so that it can build the main hull, but once the hull is done simply remove the energy source. It will drain itself of power and be unable to repair, fire, rebuild modules, or anything really, until it is specifically powered by something.

That's basically what I did with this.

tornado

thats....interesting.
Also DA, I did, and then I found a ship editor that I like(mostly) that can place HQ modules.
I was aiming for the "Half-Built" appeal.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

GoodMorning

A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.