Custom Map #372: Revelation. By: Decagon

Started by AutoPost, November 26, 2016, 06:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #372: Revelation

Author: Decagon
Size: 384x266

Desc:
Arriving at the second Progenitor facility marked on their route, Varro and the crew are faced with more Collective ships. This time, however, they will receive the aid of an unforeseen ally.

stdout

fumbuckle

Really enjoying this one. I haven't beat it yet, but I'm really looking the design. A good progression, but enough firepower to make it fun. I also was intrigued by the friendly tanker. Does it power my ships if they are in range? I don't have the opportunity to double check right now, but if so, that could make some interesting maps built around that mechanic.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: fumbuckle on November 27, 2016, 03:23:20 AM
Really enjoying this one. I haven't beat it yet, but I'm really looking the design. A good progression, but enough firepower to make it fun. I also was intrigued by the friendly tanker. Does it power my ships if they are in range? I don't have the opportunity to double check right now, but if so, that could make some interesting maps built around that mechanic.

Yes, the Tanker will power your ships as long as they are not in range of an energy mine or one of your own tanker ships. I set it to have a high intrinsic energy, so that it can recharge your ships without putting an extra burden on the energy network too (since friendly ships also drain from your energy network normally).
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

chwooly

Great Map. At first I thought the balance was off when I lost 6 ships in 1 go but overall, A lot of fun to play and win. Thanks, Hoping you will continue to create such enjoyable maps .

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

GoodMorning

I agree. An enjoyable map, though I had to bring it into the editor to find the invisible spawner.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

jcheung

loved the battle, and i loved the story too. i wish the tanker was on the lower right side of the planet, i couldn't really draw from it very well...

your two big bruisers with the MK7's on them, the armor on them is abysmal lol. couple shots into the MK7's and the whole ship is weaponless and/or slagged...

one of your carriers is.. a tanker

it's also nice to bring my CHQ into the fight without a care in the world about it being broken :D

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: jcheung on January 02, 2017, 03:20:58 PM
loved the battle, and i loved the story too. i wish the tanker was on the lower right side of the planet, i couldn't really draw from it very well...

your two big bruisers with the MK7's on them, the armor on them is abysmal lol. couple shots into the MK7's and the whole ship is weaponless and/or slagged...

one of your carriers is.. a tanker

it's also nice to bring my CHQ into the fight without a care in the world about it being broken :D

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

The Cruisers do have shields to compensate for this weakness, but do generally need other ships to cover their vulnerable weapons (particularly the three cannon variant). This makes positioning of your ships more important.

Yes, it is basically a massive tanker with destroyer-grade weaponry and heavy armour. Far more durable than Support Frigates (or indeed the fighter-bearing Carrier) and can hold its own against light to medium particle waves. Also, the gap in the ship can encapsulate an energy mine.
Just note that in my storyline, a Carrier is not restricted to a craft equipped with fighter bays. It is more of a capital-class resupply ship (since all of my carrier variants have large energy tanks and ports).

And if you like bringing your HQ into a fight, you're gonna love my later maps, where the standard HQ is basically ditched in exchange for a HQ Carrier armed with all sorts of mean things, whilst still having all of the essentials. :P
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

jcheung

I found out about the energy mine cover by accident while playing your earlier maps, and as a replacement for the Hammer lol.

How are we going to have energy gen without hq? I didn't notice a way to modify the hq...

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: jcheung on January 04, 2017, 09:50:34 AM
How are we going to have energy gen without hq? I didn't notice a way to modify the hq...

The new Carrier has a HQ module on it (currently unavailable in the editor) that allows it to stand in place of the standard HQ. It is not replacing the standard HQ on its button, however, and will be another ship. There is no way to fully replace the standard HQ officially yet, so it is more of a workaround to allow a custom HQ to be used instead.

tanelorn

Lots of great things on this map but I find the enemy ships to be so difficult to damage that the only way to kill them is cheap tactics like ramming and waiting for them to drift over emitters. Not sure how to counter this. Of course you do get two battleships but they take FOREVER to build. Even then their heavy cannons still have a hard time getting through. Great job overall, it's especially fun when it seems like the going is good and then the enemy battleships arrive.

jcheung

Ramming isn't a cheap tactic, it's what makes half the maps bearable :p
I personally sped up the game and went for a quick meal while the big ones were building because i didn't feel like trying to micro my way along.

Neoshade

Can't seem to finish the map...
Ships are continuing to construct in the upper left corner even though I've destroyed everything ;-/

GoodMorning

There is an invisible spawner there, which is vulnerable to a lathe if you bring one in.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: GoodMorning on July 10, 2017, 08:03:51 PM
There is an invisible spawner there, which is vulnerable to a lathe if you bring one in.

This. You'll find that the majority of my maps moving forward from this one will have invisible spawners, mainly to reduce the amount of visual clutter there is around enemy fleets.