Racist Tags on Colonies Maps

Started by xxj6xx, December 14, 2020, 09:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxj6xx

Just browsed the Colonies maps, and at least 12 maps at the time were tagged with the word
Spoiler
"nigger"
[close]

Can it be made so that tag creation is attached to the user that creates it, via their steam account? If not, any way of cleaning them out or flagging them besides the thumb down?

This is really disgusting.

chwooly

Just for the record,

Spoiler
Anal
[close]
is also being used as a tag, I am sure other unsavory words have been used and will be used,

Tags might be something that should be hard coded and not allowed to be added by random players.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

xxj6xx

Quote from: chwooly on December 14, 2020, 10:40:49 AM
Tags might be something that should be hard coded and not allowed to be added by random players.

This would be a good idea, along with perhaps having a button for submitting tag requests.

Karsten75

Quote from: xxj6xx on December 14, 2020, 09:13:33 AM
Just browsed the Colonies maps, and at least 12 maps at the time were tagged with the word
Spoiler
"nigger"
[close]

Can it be made so that tag creation is attached to the user that creates it, via their steam account? If not, any way of cleaning them out or flagging them besides the thumb down?

This is really disgusting.

The first line of defense against offensive tags is that  players press the thumbs--down next to the tag That triggers mechanisms on the server to deal with tags and ultimately to redact these offensive tags.

It is nearly impossible for any one person to sit on guard all the time for all combinations of offensive tags that might come through. Similar, the mechanism suggested for requesting and approving tags are cumbersome. .

xxj6xx

Quote from: Karsten75 on December 14, 2020, 11:05:52 AM
The first line of defense against offensive tags is that  players press the thumbs--down next to the tag That triggers mechanisms on the server to deal with tags and ultimately to redact these offensive tags.
It is nearly impossible for any one person to sit on guard all the time for all combinations of offensive tags that might come through. Similar, the mechanism suggested for requesting and approving tags are cumbersome. .

I wouldn't expect someone to do that kind of thing full time or anything, that does sound unreasonable. My worry on the thumbs mechanic is an upvote brigade by...let's just say trolls, instead of what they are. Maybe a flag as inappropriate feature would be better, that way there's a review every so often instead of relying purely  on votes and server automation. I'm not a programmer, so I admit I have no idea what kind of time and effort would be involved in any of these solutions.