[Spoiler]-So i finally trumped my previous successes in Day 20

Started by Amram, April 23, 2013, 12:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amram

I've never managed to get it finished with a sub 10 minute time before, always seemed to arrive just too late to prevent it spawning and then had to slog it out with the nexus.. Finally managed it with a roughly 3:30 time, then tried again and beat that too.
"my approach to it"

screenshots are the nexus at 0hp and post death.  I could attach them, but this way you can't fault me for spoilers, you've been warned, and have to go off site to see the result.
http://imgur.com/a/tYRsu
[close]
Anyways, just felt like sharing, this is uncharacteristically quick for me.

slayer

WOW, if you can overbuild that much and still get close to 3 minutes I KNOW you can go much lower. Take a close look at what your building and the placement of your various units and you will see opportunities for improvement.

Today, after a couple of months away from CW, I was able to crush my old time of 2:48 and get down to 2:40 with a little insight and a VERY serendipitous strategic "error" that indicated a new strategy. I'm keeping that last bit a secret for now  ;D.

And a quick note to Virgil - It still amazes me that I can keep coming back to this game and squeeze even more fun out of the original levels you created. KUDOS to you.

Slayer

slayer

One more thing. As crazy as it sounds, I found an inefficiency in my approach that MAY allow me to go faster still. I'll post again if it succeeds.

mthw2vc

Quote from: slayer on June 25, 2013, 06:42:22 PM
WOW, if you can overbuild that much and still get close to 3 minutes I KNOW you can go much lower. Take a close look at what your building and the placement of your various units and you will see opportunities for improvement.
I didn't realize it was even possible to overbuild (at least in the conventional sense) on day 20. :o

Imposter

I didn't even know you could kill the nexus before it spawned, haha. Very nice.

JF-T

Way to go! In all honesty, I'll never be able to do anything close to that, way to go man!
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

Amram

Quote from: JF-T on August 04, 2013, 05:07:49 AM
Way to go! In all honesty, I'll never be able to do anything close to that, way to go man!
said that myself not all that long ago, my typical times initially were much much closer to an hour, lol.  Slowly got better, but killing the nexus once it spawns is far far more work, this just requires a relentless and rapid advance, and as some have noted, is by no means the pinnacle of performance, but hey, im happy, I got the damn thing before it spawned.

Just try different stuff, keep going at it, your times will fall.  I still top my scores by a bit every now and then, though not all that often, lol.