Hardest Tormented Space maps

Started by florrat, October 12, 2013, 06:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florrat

I have updated the first post with all of the maps posted in this thread.

Also, I finally beat Kilnaleport. The screenshots LF posted were an incredible help, showing how much defense I needed a few minutes later. Because of that, I hardly needed any micromanagement (I almost never needed to disable a mortar or cannon), and could build up even a little faster than LF.

florrat

I want to say that
S200_44 (2,9): Midinverlo
is perfectly possible.

I've not completed it yet, but I've survived 13 minutes, achieved an energy generation of 14.2, and can start to slowly push back the creeper.

I'll post some screenshots this weekend.

EDIT: as requested by 4xC I've added to the opening post which maps are inhibitor maps (for the solar systems I've reached)

EDIT 2: LF, I like the fact that you post screenshots for "your" maps. Personally I'd like to see how the maps look after ~2 minutes (without landing a CN), because that gives a rough indication of the difficulty of the map.

Lord_Farin

Nice one on Midinverlo. I'll have to try some harder, I guess.

I'll keep your request in mind for future hard maps.

Note that the current screenshots should allow you to determine if a map is an inhibitor map or not :).
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

florrat

Quote from: Lord_Farin on November 01, 2013, 04:44:55 AM
Note that the current screenshots should allow you to determine if a map is an inhibitor map or not :).
Good point

florrat

Here are the screenshots of the map Midinverlo. Great, hard map! As always, I forgot to use the Artifact of Odin...

florrat

Quote from: Yalichenta on October 26, 2013, 01:42:43 AM
s200_153 : Sieioanu (south-west)
This is a very nice map, a great fit in the "very hard"-list. Good job on finding and completing it! I think it's a little easier than you make it appear to be, though. I think it isn't the hardest map in my first post,

On my first try (without reloads) I got a pretty steady hold, but I made some mistakes (which destroyed one of my reactors and a beam) which became fatal (after 8 minutes). Will try again later this week.

Yalichenta

As you stated in your first post, dificulty is quite subjective, and depends heavilly in your starting position and how you manage the first few minutes (see Auchcardensar).

Most of my strategies on that map usually failed around the 2nd wave of spore though, which is ~7mn in the map iirc (and once managed to survive till ~18mn before getting overwhelmed because of not aggressive enough gameplay, but my final strategy was just an optimisation on that one trying to save every possible energy packet for the first 10minutes). Would definitly be interested if you found a better starting position than mine though.

Godsbrother

S200_178 Khanxis Damn near thought it was impossible, the creeper overwhelms so fast.  Ultimately had to terptle like never before.  But I was quite proud to be the first one to beat it.  Though at 4 hours game time someones eventually going to get it done faster.  Sry, didn't take any screenshots.  Hardest map I've ever completed
"If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true, and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."   Penn Jillette

florrat

I think we have the same starting position, because there's not much choice in this map. Yeah, you have to be careful with your energy, and the spores are a big energy drain. I messed up a few times when spores came at the same time (for the first waves I used 5 beams, after ~11 minutes there is a wave where I needed 6, and after ~22 minutes there is are 3 waves arriving practically at the same time, there I used (and probably also needed) 9 beams). That went wrong a few times. Attached you'll find screenshots how I did it. I'm very interested if you used a significantly different strategy than mine in some aspects.

@Godsbrother: I'll try that map out, sounds good!

Yalichenta

Spoiler
Well actually I didn't thought that position was defensible (I tried a few time, and got totally destroyed by spore each time), I had a totally different one, killing that 7/1mn spore tower and catching the mass driver at the beginning (it's possible to get both), which then give ~4mn to build only reactors, and is then defensible with only 2 mortars for quite a long time. However the construction place is a lot more limited, and you have to attack quite early to expand. However only 5 beams is enough for ~15mn (then you need a sixth at some point), but most of the time you can keep 2 desactivated. I totally messed up the attack there, but it was early in the morning at that point
[close]

Wheatmidge

I tried S200_56 Shepmoium And I couldn't complete it. I seems like it should be possible. I thought I had a foothold and lasted about 15 minutes But then I lost a mortar and it went downhill quickly. There is one posted time of an hour and seven minutes. Either way I think this map would fall under the very hard category.

florrat

@Wheatmidge: I will try it when I have time!

@Yalichenta: oops, I wanted to answer your post earlier. Very nice to see your screenshots. You definitely proved me wrong, there are multiple places to build up a base on this map. Great to see your strategy! I now completely understand your opinion about the almost-impossibility of that map, because it was much harder for you to build up fast... You have so few reactors after 20 minutes that the spore waves must drain a large portion of all energy you generate. If the bottom right wasn't available to build a base, I would probably agree that this map is nearly impossible, because the top right was overflown very quickly. I must say: great use of the Artifact of Odin!

Godsbrother

S200_138 Jupnale(I).    Either very hard, or impossible.  I've managed to last 9 minutes, but always get overwhelmed.  No one has finished it yet.
"If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true, and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."   Penn Jillette

Lord_Farin

S200_183 (7,7): Langian (Inhibitor) deserves a place among the hard ones. Mind where you place those mortars!
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Katra

S200-107 Danmags goes in the hard list.

Two scores over 2 hours, and me flying through it at just over an hour.

Not too bad a spot to start; but it's a narrow strip of land and you'll have to fight your way out over some really rough ground or bridge a gap that's just wider than mortar range (and no totems until you've advanced quite a ways.)

(sorry; no screenshot.)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!