New weapons for PFE

Started by freshbananashea, May 31, 2017, 11:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freshbananashea

If I wanted to offer a suggestion of a new weapon platform for Particle Fleet Emergence, what would make it easier to implement? Artwork, design, strengths and weaknesses are some of the things I imagine are important. Is there a certain pixel size I should limit a weapon to?

For example:
I wanted to create a mine layer weapon for ships. Or even a floating object much like a mire spawner.

<O>

Out pop little * mines that can either be free floating or in a fixed position. Mainly a defensive armament. You could even recycle code from the particulate for the mines and also the mortar from CW3 could be a placeholder for the artwork for the mine layer.

The plasma laser could be used to "flip" or destroy a mine.

The main difference between particulate and a mine would be that mines are only dangerous for ships.

So perhaps an activation code such as-

if(!ship || !doppler){
explosion = false;
}else{
explosion = true;
}

I like the idea of a mine layer because it makes a traverse-able map more difficult. You can just wade through particulate and struc. You would actually lose ships to these mines. You can make a maze much more fun if people have to stick to the path. Or it can be an achievement if you don't lose a single ship to a mine explosion.

I have noticed that when I make a map without traveling limitations, a player can do things such as HQ bombing or bum rushing an emplacement before it can activate its defenses. A mine layer would limit that kind of intelligent work-around. I like story telling with my maps. I don't want people to rush too fast. They might ruin a perfectly artistic moment in the game. Plus, speed runs ruin good story games.

I really like this game. I look forward to any new developments.
Sincerely,
Bananaman

Sorrontis

I do already have a script for mines - a little tweeking will give you what you need.

Then, you need to make a ship module that lays little PRPL Core mines. Shouldn't be too difficult.
Balance is going to be the hard thing.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

tornado

For unit gestures, using the cw3 mortar texture makes sense. There is also a mortar projectile texture, which may be useful for the mines themselves.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

freshbananashea