game performance issues

Started by Karsten75, March 07, 2014, 01:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I thought I saw a thread here with this.

It happened to me as well. I was playing a relatively simple DMD map and I noticed stuff wasn't smooth. checked frame rate and it was 20 fps.

I saved, quit  and restarted CW3. Reloaded the save game  and performance is back to 30 fps. the game was up for a while and I did play and complete  a map prior to that. Unfortunately. I didn't think to save the log file. :(  It would be nice if in-game the game could rename the log file and keep an older version.

miquelfire

I notice something like this, wasn't even 10 minutes (game time) into the game, and the stuff I had built so far was a faction of what I would normally build, but I noticed that Steam was trying to update the game. (As I play mostly single player games, I set the default in Steam to download even when I play games)

Did you happen to note if Steam downloaded an update when you quit?

thejoe66

Yha you know i came across a lot of lag today it was my first time playing a big map and it just lagged so much. I don't remember it lagging so much before, but if i had to guess i would say it lags because the game has to run with steam.
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

Karsten75

Quote from: thejoe66 on March 20, 2014, 12:02:35 AM
Yha you know i came across a lot of lag today it was my first time playing a big map and it just lagged so much. I don't remember it lagging so much before, but if i had to guess i would say it lags because the game has to run with steam.

You are dead wrong. There is almost no measurable performance penalty using the Steam client. The bigger (and still less than 4%) performance penalty comes because the Steam version is the 32-bit version as opposed to my native 64-bit version.

Next time you have a serious lag, pause to think. If the game has been up for a very long time, do a save, quit out, restart the game and load your save back up. See how it runs then. This has been my solution of choice a few times when I was playing large maps I thought was very laggy. Every time it was the underlying Unity issue.

miquelfire

Can Steam send out the 64-bit version at all?

knucracker

They can, but is isn't very nice or clean.  One way is to bundle both 32 and 64 bit together in one app windows app.  But that would mean doubling the size of the download for everyone.  The other is to list it as a separate app, but they have very poor support for handling this properly.  Some of it has to be setup by hand on their end I think.  I am hopeful they will add (windows 64-bit) as a platform type across their admin portal.  If they did that, then it would be much easier to make work.  As is, it's a can of worms I didn't want to open.