Custom Map #126: First Encounters Part 4

Started by AutoPost, August 30, 2011, 06:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #126: First Encounters Part 4

Author: Ebon heart

Desc:
My fourth installment of the Old Foes series. Join the Commander and OPS from cw1 when they're teleported into the future. If you have no clue what I'm talking about, play the rest of the maps in this series, they're in the cw1 custom maps section. Thanks to Fisherck for the epic tiles, and eighttailedfox for making the custom characters for me.

Ebon Heart

I'm just redoing this message. Pay no attention to the stupid description... This is the fourth installment of First Encounters not old foes.... *sigh* my bad. I got everything perfect but the description. :( also, the author is wrong, if you wanna laugh about that. :P anyways, leave a comment if you need help, the start's tricky. Thanks to lich for beating this, i'll have a score up my self soon enough. I never got time. :/
Stupid life... Anyways, if you haven't already, you should really play the first three maps in this series before playing this one. They're cw1 maps, so they have an awesomeness cap, but they're still decent (in my opinion) and the story will make no sense otherwise. Also, read the text! Or at the very least, know that you should really save the conversion bombs in the middle. :P good luck, and have fun.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

lich98

this map is fun took me a while to figure out but after that its easy to do.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Ebon Heart

Thanks lich. :D

I'll have a topic up tonight (hopefully) that should explain the plot of this story, and hopefully explain the creeper terrain in this map, if it wasn't obvious enough. (I don't think it was) once again, leave a comment if you need help. I heard several people needed help with the start. At the very least, I'll post a few screenshots tonight to help you start.

DethbyIT

"At the very least, I'll post a few screenshots tonight to help you start."

Sounds great - thanks.
dbit

Ebon Heart

Alright, here you are.
1. Move up 4 spaces, and build 8 blasters as so. Also, scroll down to the middle of the map and set off one of your conversion bombs<---- This is important. Also, you'll want to use your technytes to get the decrease unit cost and increase fire rate upgrades.
2. Move 3 of your blasters down, and nullify that emitter immediately, and move two to either side to hold back the creeper. It's best of the creeper does not crest that hill, that's bad news. Also, you'll want to take care of the blob that Thrade and the Styglek Consortium will be fighting over at this time, be wary, it'll change shape over time, and map destroy an unwary commander's blasters. Also, start construction on some reactors, and a maker, while you have the energy. Your ore will pretty much become useless soon, so use it up while you need it!
3. Move your 3 blasters down like so, destroying one reactor, and digging up some terrain to make room. Be aggressive with your maker, it can make a difference. Leave 1 cell open to put a nullifier in later on. Watch that clock, at 3 minutes, thrade will lose his hold on that blob.
4. Move the LS down a bit in order to provide packets to your bottom weapons faster, and so you can get those techs down below without need for beacons. (which you don't have yet) The emitter's been nullified at this point, and the top's at a standstill. Make sure you've built more reactors. Also, notice my unnecessary paranoia about the blob of creeper up top. I didn't want it destroying my reactors. lol. The shields aren't necessary, but I needed something to do while waiting to nullify that emitter. Between that and pushing my maker forward... :D
5. I've built one more beacon, and have saved my first survival pod. I continue to push forward towards the other.
6. Thrade lost his hold, but I was able to destroy the blob of creeper before it wiped me out. (I should have made that thing more difficult to deal with...) I've crested the bottom spike, and am about to save the last capsule using my maker. I didn't realize at the time that I was about out of ore.
7. My maker has retreated, I sent my top middle blaster down, and after a tedious battle with the creeper, I finally ended up digging down deeper to get the capsule. After this it's just a matter of clearing up the top, and winning the thing. When you get to the middle, fight down the left side, and set off a C-bomb, you should know where. :D

TonyP2000

Oppps I went for the emitters on the right side. Took too long and let one of the capsules in the middle get destroyed. Well, looks that I am responsible for unforeseen consequences that will not only erase one, but two sentient species from the plane of existence.
My bad...  :-[

PS. For an evil race of aliens trying not to create a paradox that will wipe them out from existence, they sure did a bang up job protecting those escape pods (which if destroyed will cause the paradox) from the very thing they know how to control...
Sorry, but that is kind of a fail.

Other then that, awesome map!
Vote Tony!

Ebon Heart

Ya... They kind of went in a bunch of emitters and such and then realized, "crap, we still can't kill those people, even in this time." what's ironis is, in FE 3 when they Tried to take you to the "domain of the Loki" they were really just going to wipe your memory and pit you back where they found you. Then wipe out the humans of the future. You've got to remember, this is like 2 minutes after FE3, they were still pissed odd you crashed a city into their central brain. :P

But you saved the humans, so it's ok, the testing can now continue, and this time, they're testing the LS for results. "continue testing" - GLaDOS

P.S. I'm sorry my styglek can't fling an ancient race of all consuming organisms, and gravitational fields at you 50 years into the future with enough precision. To only threaten the LS. I'd like to see your styglek do a better job. :P

lich98

If you all need anymore help feel free to message me, :)
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

DethbyIT

I took me several tries to figure out the one critical move to win this, but finally survived.
Thanks,
dbit

Ebon Heart

Quote from: DethbyIT on September 06, 2011, 01:21:12 PM
I took me several tries to figure out the one critical move to win this, but finally survived.
Thanks,
dbit
and you got an awesome time. :D What'd you think?

DethbyIT

Quote from: Ebon Heart on September 06, 2011, 01:52:01 PM
and you got an awesome time. :D What'd you think?

Blackie -
Good stuff and a fun (tough) one to beat!
If more people will read through your hints above, I think they will have some fun beating this.
dbit

Ebon Heart

XD what's your opinion on the whole creeper terrain thing? Neat/stupid/challenging/infuriating? It's laggy at the start, but it makes a good story, and it's interesting, in my opinion.

DethbyIT

Quote from: Ebon Heart on September 06, 2011, 02:35:11 PM
XD what's your opinion on the whole creeper terrain thing? Neat/stupid/challenging/infuriating? It's laggy at the start, but it makes a good story, and it's interesting, in my opinion.

The box I'm playing on is pretty beefy, so none of the games have lagged (so far).
I'm not sure what you mean by "creeper terrain" - still getting used to CW2, so very much a n00b on the terminology and techniques.
Thanks,
dbit

Ebon Heart

Quote from: DethbyIT on September 07, 2011, 09:01:24 AM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on September 06, 2011, 02:35:11 PM

The box I'm playing on is pretty beefy, so none of the games have lagged (so far).
I'm not sure what you mean by "creeper terrain" - still getting used to CW2, so very much a n00b on the terminology and techniques.
Thanks,
dbit
That's kind of just something I made up. You'll notice that in between the cells Dax had already dug through, there's some frozen creeper, and fields keep that acting like solid terrain... That's what I'm talking about.