Custom Map #949: Remermber me?

Started by AutoPost, March 11, 2012, 04:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #949: Remermber me?

Author: Olson

Desc:
an old map idea came to my head...

Ebon Heart

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

teknotiss

that is not the worst example of bad spelling on these forums or maps!
prob a speed typo.
someone did a series of maps with virtually unreadable scripts in the intro, running to 20 pages once! ok maps but i forget the author
perhaps a spell checker could be inserted in the next game?
and maybe one in the forums too!
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

2b3o4o

Quote from: teknotiss on March 11, 2012, 05:17:19 PM
that is not the worst example of bad spelling on these forums or maps!
prob a speed typo.
someone did a series of maps with virtually unreadable scripts in the intro, running to 20 pages once! ok maps but i forget the author
perhaps a spell checker could be inserted in the next game?
and maybe one in the forums too!
If you use firefox, it will automatically spell check whatever you type.

teknotiss

i do use firefox
and it doesn't spell check for me!
perhaps a spell check in the GAME EDITOR would help Vs the atrocious "speelink" and "Gramemer" some players use?
i know that some here are learning english as a second language (thanks for that you dudes i don't learn languages well), a spell checker would assist them.
and for the lazy dudes that can't be bothered to learn to spell or use grammar it would make it possible to get an idea of what they are on about, maybe actually understand the clues, etc?
just an idea, perhaps i should make a new topic?
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

J

The editor does check in conversations, but not in the map info. Good idea for the next game.

teknotiss

mthw2vc

Quote from: teknotiss on March 12, 2012, 03:24:47 PM
i do use firefox
perhaps a spell check in the GAME EDITOR would help Vs the atrocious "speelink" and "Gramemer" some players use?
i know that some here are learning english as a second language (thanks for that you dudes i don't learn languages well), a spell checker would assist them.
and for the lazy dudes that can't be bothered to learn to spell or use grammar it would make it possible to get an idea of what they are on about, maybe actually understand the clues, etc?
I don't know why you expect proper spelling and grammar from others when you yourself make posts littered with mistakes.
I do use Firefox, but it doesn't spell check for me!
Perhaps a spell checker in the map editor would help combat the atrocious "speelink" and "Gramemer" some players use?
I know that some here are learning English as a second language (Thanks for that you dudes, I don't learn languages well.); a spell checker would assist them.
and For the lazy dudes that can't be bothered to learn to spell or use grammar it would make it possible to get an idea of what they are on about, maybe actually understand the clues, etc? interpret their writing.
It is just an idea; perhaps I should make a new topic?

Ebon Heart

Quote from: mthw2vc on March 12, 2012, 06:07:56 PM
i do use firefox
I don't know why you expect proper spelling and grammar from others when you yourself make posts littered with mistakes.
Perhaps a spell checker in the map editor would help combat the atrocious "speelink" and "Gramemer" some players use?
I know that some here are learning English as a second language (Thanks for that you dudes, I don't learn languages well.); a spell checker would assist them.
and For the lazy dudes that can't be bothered to learn to spell or use grammar it would make it possible to get an idea of what they are on about, maybe actually understand the clues, etc? interpret their writing.
I dare you to do that with one of lich's longer posts. :P

teknotiss

Quote from: Ebon Heart on March 12, 2012, 06:47:53 PM
i do use firefox
Well "however" would have been better than but, but is however acceptable! ;)
Nothing wrong with failing to capitalise on the web, however my point is a SPELL CHECKER (perfectly acceptable spelling in the UK) would correct that for those of us with old and tired keyboards and hands
Game editor or map editor? Not relevant really but ok precision police person I'll endeavour to type "map" in future.
Semicolon! From wikipedia... "According to the British writer on grammar, Lynne Truss, many non-writers avoid the colon and semicolon for various reasons: "They are old-fashioned", "They are middle-class", "They are optional", "They are mysteriously connected to pausing", "They are dangerously addictive (vide Virginia Woolf)", and "The difference between them is too negligible to be grasped by the brain of man".[3]"
(apologies for the large number of parentheses in that quote, however if it got past the grammar nazis on wiki then you should be able to live with it)
Now i actually grasp the difference, that is to say where I place a comma i mean that is where i would breath in a sentence; a semicolon is where i mean to have a slight pause for effect. so rest assured that I knew where i wanted my comma's, thank you!
I would further point out that I was writing a post informally on a forum about a spell checker to assist in basic understanding, not writing in a formal exam on the English language.
I also notice you leapt to the attack instead of answering my posts content, a snide aside about my informality would have been fine, but no.
Have a nice day  ;D

tijno77

lich98

Quote from: Ebon Heart on March 12, 2012, 06:47:53 PM
i do use firefox
Um I'm insulted I can accually use grammer right, when I think about it. Some times I use my phone to post to KC so I don't allways use proper grammer or capitization. Other times i just don't feel like it.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Ebon Heart

You're can accually use grammar right? I guess you're right, I have no argument against that. :P

mthw2vc

EDIT: Whoops! I forgot that removing posts in Custom Map Comments was disabled. Please disregard this post.

mthw2vc

Quote from: teknotiss on March 12, 2012, 07:37:11 PM
Well "however" would have been better than but, but is however acceptable! ;)
If I were here to criticize your word choice, I would be here all day; I have only bothered to fix outright mistakes. ;)
Nothing wrong with failing to capitalise on the web, however my point is a SPELL CHECKER (perfectly acceptable spelling in the UK) would correct that for those of us with old and tired keyboards and hands
In a post complaining about spelling and grammatical errors of others, it is hypocritical to disregard purposefully the established conventions thereof. You also get bonus points for telling me that my correction is a perfectly acceptable spelling in the UK. ;)
Game editor or map editor? Not relevant really but ok precision police person I'll endeavour to type "map" in future.
The game itself is not changed by the map editor. It may indeed be a minor quibble, but it is nevertheless an error.
Semicolon! From wikipedia... "According to the British writer on grammar, Lynne Truss, many non-writers avoid the colon and semicolon for various reasons: "They are old-fashioned", "They are middle-class", "They are optional", "They are mysteriously connected to pausing", "They are dangerously addictive (vide Virginia Woolf)", and "The difference between them is too negligible to be grasped by the brain of man".[3]"
(apologies for the large number of parentheses in that quote, however if it got past the grammar nazis on wiki then you should be able to live with it)
Now i actually grasp the difference, that is to say where I place a comma i mean that is where i would breath in a sentence; a semicolon is where i mean to have a slight pause for effect. so rest assured that I knew where i wanted my comma's, thank you!
I would further point out that I was writing a post informally on a forum about a spell checker to assist in basic understanding, not writing in a formal exam on the English language.
You are welcome, but when using a comma to separate two independent clauses, you must use a coordinating conjunction as well; thus, you were in error not to use a semicolon. :P
I also notice you leapt to the attack instead of answering my posts content, a snide aside about my informality would have been fine, but no.
Have a nice day  ;D
The entire post is nothing but a snide aside to be taken in good humor. I suggest you do just that. :)