New map approval notice

Started by knucracker, September 10, 2011, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mthw2vc

Quote from: lich98 on September 12, 2011, 03:08:11 AM
Quote from: virgilw on September 11, 2011, 06:49:05 PM
The '80 high map rejection rule' is only intended to address maps that are clearly left at 80 height for no apparent reason.  If a map uses 80 rows, that's great... and perfectly fine.  If it is pretty clear that the map author just didn't even think about lowering the map height, that's what this rule is for.  The intent is the map moderators simple say "I think you just forgot to reduce the map height before submitting this map" in the moderator comments for a map.  Once the author sees this, he can make a quick fix for the map and resubmit the map.

Yes that is a quick fix but then they have to replay through it, what if it takes 72 minutes to play through?
If you can't enjoy or can't be bothered to play through your own map a second time, maybe it doesn't deserve to be uploaded... :P

lich98

Quote from: mthw2vc on September 12, 2011, 03:11:13 AM
Quote from: lich98 on September 12, 2011, 03:08:11 AM
Quote from: virgilw on September 11, 2011, 06:49:05 PM
The '80 high map rejection rule' is only intended to address maps that are clearly left at 80 height for no apparent reason.  If a map uses 80 rows, that's great... and perfectly fine.  If it is pretty clear that the map author just didn't even think about lowering the map height, that's what this rule is for.  The intent is the map moderators simple say "I think you just forgot to reduce the map height before submitting this map" in the moderator comments for a map.  Once the author sees this, he can make a quick fix for the map and resubmit the map.

Yes that is a quick fix but then they have to replay through it, what if it takes 72 minutes to play through?
If you can't enjoy or can't be bothered to play through your own map a second time, maybe it doesn't deserve to be uploaded... :P

Possibly but maby i played through it once. I wouldn't do  it again i'd work on another.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Fisherck

And we generally reject them because they look like This. Not a problem replaying them... ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

lich98

Quote from: Fisherck on September 12, 2011, 08:45:51 AM
And we generally reject them because they look like This. Not a problem replaying them... ;)
that is true...
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Cavemaniac

...and you know what really bugs me about that map?

Despite being about a thousand blocks high, half of the units are hidden under the status bar at the top!

I live in hope that map designers will some day (soon!) start their maps a couple of blocks down from the top - I find it tiring having to 'peek' under the status bar every few seconds when I've got operations going on up that high.

That's my only complaint - like MadMag, the extra height at the bottom doesn't offend me, though I do find it inelegant.

Do oversize maps take up extra space on Virgil's server? If so, I'm offended on his behalf!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

DethbyIT

I just found this thread and the very interesting reading.

As a player I certainly wouldn't qualify as a "Map Mod", but I do read the Map Mod comments that are posted.

I would encourage anyone with that power/authority to use it wisely. The comment above about "a 10 year old kid" is really valid. Try to imagine your own child/grandchild submitting a map and then getting eaten alive by some "Map God". I fail to understand these constant belittling comments about the maps that our MEMBERS are producing.

Even the worst map ever produced means that someone took the time to try to figure out the creation process, took the time to create and submit the map, and did it all so that the rest of us could have a little enjoyment.

I've watched some really terrible map-makers develop into creators of really fine games and I cringe to see some of the comments posted. A little mentoring and encouragement will go a long way.

Based on the comments I've seen, there is no way in Hell I would ever submit a map on this site.
dbit

Shimizu

I just read through this post, Dethby, aren't you a map mod? ;)

/confused
Meow?

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Shimizu on February 22, 2012, 04:14:49 PM
I just read through this post, Dethby, aren't you a map mod? ;)

/confused
He wasn't a mapmod when he made th post. He's a new mapmod.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

WileE

:-\
My six-year old asked to design a map, and I said, "Why not?"  I helped him tweak it a bit to make sure it was playable.  It's not perfect; it probably has some unnecessary space and some gates that don't do anything, but it was a good challenge (for me) and I had to work to get enough energy to get started.   Now, after reading all this, I'm hesitant to upload it!   

I will though  ;)     as I'd hate for other people not to submit maps for fear of criticism.

Thanks to everyone for all the great maps AND the not-so-great maps!

Binz

Not sure whether this is the right thread to post in, but I've uploaded two maps and they're not getting approved (maps #3014 and #3015), even though the "remaining time" indicator on the submission page says "overtime" for both. Is something wrong with these maps, or do I just have to be patient?

Thanks in advance!

knucracker

Binz

Thank you very much! I just wanted to make sure that there's wasn't anything wrong with them, like community violations or something. :)