Custom Map #102: Come git some!!

Started by AutoPost, August 28, 2011, 04:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #102: Come git some!!

Author: LionCourt

Desc:
Nothing special, Drones, creeper, Phantoms. Enjoy.

DethbyIT

Quote from: AutoPost on August 28, 2011, 04:01:02 AM

Desc:

Nothing special?
How about mentioning that Nullifiers can't take out structures - or didn't you think that worth mentioning?

Kithros

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 28, 2011, 12:27:56 PM
Quote from: AutoPost on August 28, 2011, 04:01:02 AM

Desc:

Nothing special?
How about mentioning that Nullifiers can't take out structures - or didn't you think that worth mentioning?

They can kill them, it's just that he way overdid the health on the buildings and set them to 100 (which means you'll need 100 nullifiers to kill one of them), which does absolutely nothing but make the map vastly  more tedious.

DethbyIT

Kithros,
Thank you.

I don't think I've ever posted a negative comment about any of the hundreds of maps I've played, but I simply don't see the value of many of the CW2 maps.

There is no 'technique' involved in creating or playing them, just slap in some big-assed Emitters/ridiculous parameters and let the game run for hours while you play the last 1% of it.

Is there some way to 'rate' CW2 games as there was with CW1?

Thanks,
dbit

Grabarz

There is a suggestion about a rating system, and most probably it will happen in the future.

Fisherck

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 28, 2011, 01:40:10 PM
Kithros,
Thank you.

I don't think I've ever posted a negative comment about any of the hundreds of maps I've played, but I simply don't see the value of many of the CW2 maps.

There is no 'technique' involved in creating or playing them, just slap in some big-assed Emitters/ridiculous parameters and let the game run for hours while you play the last 1% of it.

Thanks,
dbit

I completely agree. I will even settle for the 5-star system right now, just to help sort the maps out. It is simple, but effective. I would, of course, also like to be able to leave a comment with it (not required) as to why I do or do not like it, and have it be required that you leave your signature behind too, so you can't spam, and have it help other people who know your ability judge wether or not they would like the map. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Sqaz

Thanks,
dbit

It might take a while before something is implemented, and even if so your rating won't make a difference.
The only way to stop this is to type a comment saying that you did NOT like the map, doing this you help yourself and the map maker who might not even know that his map is damn annoying.

Lioncourt

I had asked Ebon if it was possible to fix the health to 3 or 4 for me, because after a few hours of making and testing most of the map, when I finally got to the bottom on the last time I played it, well, it was late, and I needed sleep.  It was not done on purpose.  But I wanna understand something.  Absolutely nothing about the map was good, and all that anyone wishes to say is how bad it is because of the last mistake?  Should I just not make more maps in fear of being tore a new one?  Should we all go back through all the maps that were made and pick it apart for not being the super high standards of making maps that you all must use when making your own?  I cannot believe after the time it took, that there is only complaint and not one word about getting to that mistake.  As for the "Nothing special" comment in the game...  When I made it, I didn't have a theme, there was nothing really special about it that hasn't been used on other maps, and I most certainly didn't know or realize until the last part of the map where I went wrong, in which I had asked a map mod if they could do a quick fix because it had been late, I had spent a lot of time on it, and I did not plan on it being like that.  Yes, it is my fault for doing it, my fault for not knowing, and my fault for not wanting to replay the whole map for another time with my eyelids drooping, AND I was so excited that (and I thought) the map looked nice, and up to the last part I enjoyed it.  So I am sorry, my first map I ever made, and I feel like I have been whipped.  I still cant believe that as someone said, the last 1% is bad, and that is all that can be mentioned.  Shame.  Maybe I need to revisit some maps, not notice anything good about them, and only comment about the bad.  Oh, and if you didn't notice, yes, I do feel bad about making the map for you to play, and I feel worse about what you say.  In the future, maybe asking if it was on purpose before letting one know how tedious, or how ridiculous their multi-hour job on making maps for you to enjoy is before you insult their work.  Might I say, this isn't constructive criticism by any means.  So again I ask one of the mods (please lower the health down on the emitters and gates to 3 or 4, for it was not done on purpose).   
The funniest thing about time is when it doesn't...

Grabarz

Don't be so nervous, not everyone's first map must be best and loved by everyone instantly. But if you spent a lot of time on the map, and really wanted it to be perfect, you could go sleep and send it another day, after changing emitters health and beating it again. When I make maps I find myself testing them a lot of times, just to know everything's right. If you want to fix this map, upload the fixed map, and if you really want, ask a moderator to delete this one.

Everyone makes mistakes. Keep on making more maps if you really like, eventually you may get awesome feedback!

Ebon Heart

Give it some time, the cw2 map editor is still in it's infancy. A lot of maps are rather.... well, not so great right now. People are still trying to figure out what they can/can't should/shouldn't do with the editor. If you look at some of the first cw1 maps posted, they weren't very good either.  There were some good ones, of course, but the cw1 editor was a lot easier to figure out than the cw2 editor. Just give it some time, people will get it. We'll find some masterpieces soon.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Fisherck

I am sorry. :) I know for me, and looking at DethbyIT's comment, that we are somewhat frustrated with the "wide range" of the quality of maps right now. It wasn't really your fault, but the fact that all your units are 100 health could make some people rather unhappy. :D I definitely understand where you are coming from, as I spend a lot of time on my maps too. But I think the best thing that could have been done here was to just fix and redo the map, as long as that would take.

Quote from: Lioncourt on August 28, 2011, 03:21:20 PM
I had asked Ebon if it was possible to fix the health to 3 or 4 for me, because after a few hours of making and testing most of the map, when I finally got to the bottom on the last time I played it, well, it was late, and I needed sleep.  It was not done on purpose. for you to play, and I feel worse about what you say. 
First off, I want to make it clear that mapmods do not have power to "fix" a map.

But I wanna understand something.  Absolutely nothing about the map was good, and all that anyone wishes to say is how bad it is because of the last mistake?  Should I just not make more maps in fear of being tore a new one?
No, your map is not entirely bad. It is not even close to the worst I have seen so far. ;) But the fact that all your emitters and gateways have a hundred health is going to make some people annoyed. :D

I cannot believe after the time it took, that there is only complaint and not one word about getting to that mistake.  As for the "Nothing special" comment in the game...  When I made it, I didn't have a theme, there was nothing really special about it that hasn't been used on other maps, and I most certainly didn't know or realize until the last part of the map where I went wrong, in which I had asked a map mod if they could do a quick fix because it had been late, I had spent a lot of time on it, and I did not plan on it being like that.  Yes, it is my fault for doing it, my fault for not knowing, and my fault for not wanting to replay the whole map for another time with my eyelids drooping, AND I was so excited that (and I thought) the map looked nice, and up to the last part I enjoyed it.  So I am sorry, my first map I ever made, and I feel like I have been whipped.  I still cant believe that as someone said, the last 1% is bad, and that is all that can be mentioned.
You need to realize here that people play a map to enjoy it. If they don't, then they are not happy. To work hard going down an 80 height map, just to find out that you have to build 400 nullifiers is not going to sit well with most.

In the future, maybe asking if it was on purpose before letting one know how tedious, or how ridiculous their multi-hour job on making maps for you to enjoy is before you insult their work.  Might I say, this isn't constructive criticism by any means.  So again I ask one of the mods (please lower the health down on the emitters and gates to 3 or 4, for it was not done on purpose).   
Why though, should we assume that you did not mean to do this? You made, played, beat, and submitted this map. It probably would have been best just to spend that little extra time to fix it and resubmit a score.

The best thing that I think can happen here is that just to learn from ones mistake. So what if your first map is bad? Move on forward.... :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM

eudrick

I thought this map was pure evil (and Genius, aside from the 100 health emitters and gates).  The use  of fields drove me nuts. 
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

Lioncourt

Dear Map Moderators, could you please delete this map, I fixed it, tested it, submitted my score, and I am not sure if I can upload the new map already, I will try.  Sorry for the problems.  Thank you.
The funniest thing about time is when it doesn't...

Grabarz

Quote from: Lioncourt on August 28, 2011, 07:53:03 PM
Dear Map Moderators, could you please delete this map, I fixed it, tested it, submitted my score, and I am not sure if I can upload the new map already, I will try.  Sorry for the problems.  Thank you.
Yes, you can upload the map already. And don't worry, this one will probably soon be deleted then :P

Grauniad

So again I ask one of the mods (please lower the health down on the emitters and gates to 3 or 4, for it was not done on purpose).  

Note that no mod can change a map in any way. Once a map has been created, there is a unique identity associated with the map. Any changes will alter that identity and alter the map. Then there is no score associated with the map.

While I would prefer to refrain from commenting on the map quality (I've not played your map), I would advise you, and any other map maker, to perhaps not be hasty in submitting a map. With the 24-hour delay built into a map submission, having a night's sleep and then perfecting a map the next day may be a good idea. It would save you and the many people playing the map a great deal of frustration and anguish.

After all, you (or Ebon_Heart) must have played the map and have noticed that all the enemy unity had 100 health associated with it. At that time it would have been a good idea to have not submitted the map, reworked it and then submitting a viable copy.

Great map makers take their time and submit a map after days (or perhaps even weeks) of painstakingly crafting and desinging a map to be perfect.

PS. Just saw your post above this one asking us to delete this map. Consider it done. As I explained in my first paragraph, you are able to submit a modified map at any time, there is no possibility of it being confused by an earlier map.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon