"Sticky" creeper

Started by Karsten75, March 11, 2010, 02:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Maybe something for consideration could be sticky creeper. Think of it as creeper that roots. So the longer and thicker the creeper has covered an area, the harder it is to remove.  In effect, the creeper roots the same way black mold does and penetrates the surface ever more deeply. Perhaps to such an extent, that an area that has been covered under 4 layers of creeper for 5 minutes will not be free of recurring creeper for another 10 minutes, requiring the constant presence of a blaster to remove new outbreaks.

So in effect, an area might appear cleared, but the creeper still has micro-spores in the soil and if all blasters are removed, the creeper will regrow and take hold again - even if there is no emitter - it will not spread beyond the infected area (for that it needs an emitter), but it will destroy all structures built on the infected area.

This idea came to me based on another game I play that has "plague." You don't know if a planet has plague for x periods, and all ships that had visited the infected planet have a y chance of spreading the infection to other planets they visit unless they first visit a construction facility to be cleaned. Of course, there is a random chance that the plague gets cured while the planet is inhabited.

In CW, the surface is infected and if not constantly disinfected, the units on the surface will be destroyed eventually if a blaster is not present to hold the creeper in check.

Probably a lot of programming, I realize, but it will greatly complicate some strategies.

Twi

Would add a great challenge. I approve.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

UpperKEES

Hmmm, I have to think about this. When a large area was occupied with creeper before, do I need blasters covering the complete surface for 10 minutes? In that case I suggest that bombing the area with drones/mortars would get rid of the 'roots'. I would also change the colour of the surface to indicate roots are present.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Cheesecake

Quote from: Karsten75 on March 11, 2010, 02:34:04 PM
This idea came to me based on another game I play that has "plague." You don't know if a planet has plague for x periods, and all ships that had visited the infected planet have a y chance of spreading the infection to other planets they visit unless they first visit a construction facility to be cleaned. Of course, there is a random chance that the plague gets cured while the planet is inhabited.

Off Topic: What is this game? :p

On Topic: There should be sticky creeper emitters, too. What happens if the two types merge?

Twi

Quote from: Cheesecake on March 11, 2010, 09:08:00 PM

What happens if the two types merge?

One word idea: Density. Normal creeper flows over the undoubtedly denser sticky. And sticky should thus be more spread out in such a situation.

Twi

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 11, 2010, 08:59:30 PMIn that case I suggest that bombing the area with drones/mortars would get rid of the 'roots'.

Or fire-based weapons, if any make it in.

Blame my being forced to use Wii for double post.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Twi on March 11, 2010, 09:16:23 PM
One word idea: Density. Normal creeper flows over the undoubtedly denser sticky. And sticky should thus be more spread out in such a situation.

That's not gonna work. The only way to get this playable is a 'sticky mode' with only sticky creeper.

Besides that a denser sticky fluid (if the creeper was a fluid, which it isn't) would often spread less/slower as it has a higher cohesion.

Twi

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 11, 2010, 09:31:03 PM
Quote from: Twi on March 11, 2010, 09:16:23 PM

That's not gonna work. The only way to get this playable is a 'sticky mode' with only sticky creeper.

Besides that a denser sticky fluid (if the creeper was a fluid, which it isn't) would often spread less/slower as it has a higher cohesion.

True. Perhaps the normal Creeper should mix with the sticky Creeper to weaken the effects? Or they'd just be incompatible.

SPIFFEN

Hmm , would this make tha game lag more ,
and the map maker could make the Creepers stronger .
It might not have the same effect ,
but custom maps should not have this .

But for game maps , this might be an good idea .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

bobandirus

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 11, 2010, 09:31:03 PM

You get DD mode for completing spec ops, so how about you get sticky mode for completing Conquest? So when you compleate conquest, you unlock the last 2 spec ops maps, and sticky mode?

With the roots idea, what would the blasters fire at? Because if they stay firing at only creeper, that surly means that the roots will stay in place?
How about an option to load mortars and drones with a napalm like ammo, which burns to roots out?

Also, this leads the question what actually is the creeper? I know its coded as heat, but that just means that it behaves like that. Is it, from the stories point of view, a plant, animal, or what?
I know my spelling is shaky, have fun! Shake along with it :P

UpperKEES

The current version isn't gonna change anymore as far as I understood, so new playing modes are something for the expansion pack or CW2.

A blaster in a rooted field would act the same as a blaster near an emitters: it only fires when some creeper comes up.

If I remember the storyline correctly, the Creeper is a kind of organism, but this doesn't have to be a type currently known on earth.