"Bigger Pipes" Upgrade

Started by kilzero, February 12, 2010, 10:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilzero

First off, this games awesome.

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, but aside from the current Speed Upgrade, maybe you can give us a "Bigger Pipes" upgrade? I think everyone on here has attempted to make their network so fast and powerful that it can build a Mortar in a split second... only to find themselves stuck waiting the same amount of time they would have been even without the speed upgrade.

To me, this 'speed upgrade' isn't much of a speed upgrade at all, sure, it gets the packets there quicker, but if the city/source is still only pumping the same amount of packets/second, it's useless.

It kind of sucks when i have a 600 energy surplus and a million speed upgrade and it still takes FOREVER to build my buildings (sometimes i even plunge into starvation if i build around 25 buildings at the same time, EVEN WITH SURPLUS OF ENERGY)

Just something to consider, i felt as though this aspect of the game was missing...

Thanks  ;D

Karsten75

Yes, it has been discussed and you may find the other threads here in Suggestions and in Gameplay. But I'll offer you a hint.  Without a storage upgrade, Odin City can only deliver 16 packets/second. With a storage upgrade, the maximum is 32 packets/second. If you build or spend more than that number of packets, then regardless of your reserves, you will enter starvation mode.

kilzero

That wasn't stated anywhere in the game.

A new upgrade should be considered.

TheBuilder

thats cause its a storage structure/building not a upgrade, the green hexagons are the storage, they add 20 units of space to energy storage, but u still see the packets coming from odin city.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

crazyone76

could you pls make a upgrade to decrease packet delay time for the same building
go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UpperKEES

That one is called 'Build 20% faster'....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

crazyone76

no not the upgrade like the speed buildings but i mean theres like 3 secs between the next round of packets is send could that be faster?
go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Siccles

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on February 12, 2010, 10:25:17 PM
Without a storage upgrade, Odin City can only deliver 16 packets/second. With a storage upgrade, the maximum is 32 packets/second.

Odin City can always deliver 32 packets per second. You don't need a storage for that.

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 13, 2010, 09:38:10 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on February 12, 2010, 10:25:17 PM
Without a storage upgrade, Odin City can only deliver 16 packets/second. With a storage upgrade, the maximum is 32 packets/second.

Odin City can always deliver 32 packets per second. You don't need a storage for that.

Prove it.

UpperKEES

Just build enough collectors and/or reactors. I did last week (don't remember the map) and the energy consumption/depletion was more than 16 without having a storage building.

Karsten75

You see, I already did this. But I did it again, just to prove it to my satisfaction.  The results are not in line with what Virgil said or with what I recall from my earlier test , since without a storage unit, I could disperse 21 packets. With a storage unit, I could disperse the expected 32 packets.

And just so you can check for yourself, here is a test map.

Let it run, you will see a growing depletion, but the yello dispersal should stabilize at around 21.  Then build a singe storage unit and see the dispersal increase to 32.

UpperKEES

Well, that makes sense, as you would never have more than 20 units of energy available without storage, so you can not deplete them. I'm just saying that the limit of 32 packets per second (since version 0346, it used to be 16) is not tied to having storage. Of course the amount of available energy is. I can't recall Virgil saying something else.

Karsten75

* Karsten75 smacks forehead

Doh!  Virgil changed Odin City to disperse more than 16 packets, but to disperse more than 20 (up to the max of 32) you have to have the storage unit since the internal storage is only 20 units.

Thanks, now I have it straight again.