Help on three Tormented Space Maps

Started by geoschmo, December 13, 2016, 09:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoschmo

I have three Tormented Space maps I can't get past. These are preventing me from accomplishing my initial goal of clearing enough inhibitors to enter every system.

Tatbor S200_14 (3 in from left edge, 7 down from top)
I found a topic on this forum with some advice:
https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14333.75
Evil Roc had some good suggestions, but I still can't get past just under 7 minutes before being overrun.
I'm attaching a screen shot of one of my best times.

Hianterros S200_178 (1 in from left edge, 8 down from top)
This one I couldn't find any tips on. Best I can do is being overrun at just over 6 minutes.

Culvasse S200_198 (right edge, 7 down from top)
This one is really hard. Best I've done here is less than 4 minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geoschmo

Karsten75

I don't have any advice, just wanted to say that if those are the only ones holding you back, you're doing a heck of a lot better than me. All the reds are the ones I've been unable to make headway.

Relli

People have determined in the past that some of these levels are outright impossible, correct? Whether Tormented/Prospector/Alpha Sector, there are a few that just can't be won. I couldn't tell you if these are them or not, but it's worth looking into.

I doubt anything will be done about it this far down the line, but for me, knowing that I could absolutely never finish 100% of the maps is enough to make me not want to play any of them at all. It's a huge part of the game that has no functional goal to it, nothing I can shoot for, no reason to try. I don't expect anything to change, but I'll ask regardless. Can something be done about them? Can broken missions be removed or revamped? Can I, if nothing else, have access to a functional set of Alpha Missions?

knucracker

Given permission to speak candidly, Saavik confronts Kirk. "I don't believe this was a fair test of my command abilities," she protests.

"And why not?" Kirk replies.

"Because there was no way to win."

"A no-win situation is a possibility every commander may face," Kirk says, circling her. "Has that never occurred to you?"

"No, sir, it has not."

"How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life," Kirk says, "wouldn't you say?"

Relli

That was an excellent response, to be sure, but I do have a few objections to it. Knowing how to deal with a no-win situation is great practice for a Captain in charge of dozens or thousands of lives, to be sure. I am no such person. I'm just a kid playing a video game. And if you wanted to make a video game that had a no-win situation in it, that's entirely your right. I just assumed, given precedent, that you did not intend for this map collection to be unbeatable. Still, great job with the Star Trek quote. You thoroughly beat me at my own game :P

geoschmo

Quote from: Karsten75 on December 14, 2016, 10:07:00 AM
I don't have any advice, just wanted to say that if those are the only ones holding you back, you're doing a heck of a lot better than me. All the reds are the ones I've been unable to make headway.
Karsten, Yeah don't misunderstand. There are WAY more than 3 systems I haven't cleared.  :D At this point my goal is just to "unlock" every system. So I'm just trying to clear the inhibitors in the systems adjacent to the "question mark" systems. There are a lot of others I haven't been able to crack or haven't tried but I was able to find another path around them.  It appears from youR map you are also stuck (or haven't tried) the three that I mentioned. But you appear to have found a way around two of them by opening up S200_137. That's very helpful. Thanks.

Geo

geoschmo

Quote from: Relli on December 14, 2016, 10:40:49 AM
People have determined in the past that some of these levels are outright impossible, correct? Whether Tormented/Prospector/Alpha Sector, there are a few that just can't be won. I couldn't tell you if these are them or not, but it's worth looking into.
I have read that as well. However all of these systems have many dozens of scores posted for them. Now obviously many of these are BS times so low they can only be cheaters. But they all have times which appear to be reasonable. My assumption is if someone is going to cheat why would they go through the trouble of then taking so long to finish the map. But it's possible I'm being a bit naive.

Also there have been a few systems which I felt were impossible at one point which I have been able to crack after enough attempts or learning some new technique from someone on the forum or discovering some aspect of the game I didn't quite grok at first. So I haven't totally given up on these just yet.

Geo