CW3 won't open on Mac Os 10.11.5

Started by SeventyTimesSeven, June 13, 2016, 07:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeventyTimesSeven

I've just downloaded the full version and unzipped it using Archive Utility. Then, when I try to open the program, I get the following message:

Quote"CW3" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

Any ideas?

knucracker

Yeah.... that's Apple for ya...
They show that message in newer versions of OSX not because the archive is corrupt but because it isn't signed with an Apple issued certificate.

You can do the following:
Go here and change this setting to "Anywhere":
System Preferences / Security & Privacy / General Tab / Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere
Note that there is a lock icon in the lower left of the dialog you have to click first before you can make any changes.

You can also work around this by using the steam version (which you can get a key for from here: http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld3/steamkeys.php )
And, I'll pay the piper at some point in the next few months and get an Apple signing certificate (in addition to the other signing certificate I have).

Grayzzur

Gotta love certificates. "We declare this program is Safe™! You know, because the dev filled out a form and paid us! Never install anything from devs that haven't paid us to call their software Safe™!"
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

SMTGeek

Quote from: virgilw on June 13, 2016, 08:59:16 AM
You can do the following:
System Preferences / Security & Privacy / General Tab / Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere

However you should set it back after opening CW to protect from actual malicious programs. Once you open CW and give OS X permission to open it your computer will remember that permission.