Creeper World 3

Started by Ebon Heart, March 30, 2012, 07:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebon Heart

Since we can't talk on the announcement, who all has seen the creeper world 3 stuff on the blog? I think it looks really neat, there's a lot of potential. :D I just have one thing to say, though. I hope and pray that we don't get a third lame boss fight for Creeper World 3. That's been my only complaint about the previous Creeper World games. I'll be thrilled if we have more than 20 levels, maybe even multiple bosses. (multiple bosses would be amazing!) But can they be original? And without an ultimate kill all weapon that ruins the entire fight? If we get good, original bosses we can fight with the basic weapons... I will be happy. Who else agrees?
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Michionlion

me.  That would be really cool if we could have multiple 'branching' story levels, each with a boss at the end.  Maybe something like that to earn tech (at the end of every boss fight you would find a tech or something)?
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

knucracker

Well, you are going to be in luck with game 3.  In cw1 and cw2 I focused on unique game play and compelling strategy.  But the story elements and the mission system are pretty "normal" .  For game 3 I have a more open and immersive system in mind.

I still plan to tell a story, but it won't be a linear set of missions or levels.  As such, there won't really be a final boss.  That said, the enemies you encounter will get more and more intense as your journey progresses.

Much of this is still in the planning and very early dev stages, but my intent is to move a giant leap in this direction.

MadMag

There might be several "encounters" of more dangerous stuff as the Creeper, yes? :)

Michionlion

"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Ebon Heart

Quote from: virgilw on March 30, 2012, 08:38:28 PM
Well, you are going to be in luck with game 3.  In cw1 and cw2 I focused on unique game play and compelling strategy.  But the story elements and the mission system are pretty "normal" .  For game 3 I have a more open and immersive system in mind.

I still plan to tell a story, but it won't be a linear set of missions or levels.  As such, there won't really be a final boss.  That said, the enemies you encounter will get more and more intense as your journey progresses.

Much of this is still in the planning and very early dev stages, but my intent is to move a giant leap in this direction.
This makes me happy. Bosses tend to be my favorite part of games... provided that they're fun. I like to be incredibly overmatched by a seemingly invincible enemy, it's just so much fun. :D This is one of my favorite boss fights to date:
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

djcian

Just cant wait for another amazing game by the creative and talented Virgil Wall.   It looks like it will be eating up a lot of my time.  Unity is also a great program.
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

TonyP2000

A creeper world iPad app would be amazing. The app market would be a great place for Knuckle Cracker to expand to. Especially if it became popular, and I have no dought that it would.

Edit: 300 post btw!!!!!!!! W00T! I guess this means I get the official "This is Sparta Award" eh?
Vote Tony!

Nemoricus

This is probably the most exciting thing I've heard all week!

Some initial questions:

1. Will the drones from CW2 make an appearance in this game?

2. Will ore still be needed be needed for anti-creeper production? Will anti-Creeper emitters show up?

3. Will there be repulsor-like units in this game? What about shields?

4. Will there be a hotkey system for selecting user-defined groups of units? Like how most RTS games use Ctrl-# to define a group and # to select that group again?

5. What are those purple-spikey units by what looks like an Odin City equivalent? What about those units with the blue centers and red feet?

More questions to come as I think of them!

Good luck, Virgil. I'm eagerly awaiting any and all news on how development.

Echo51

Any comment on how it performs on the larger maps?
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Karsten75

Quote from: Echo51 on March 31, 2012, 03:46:20 AM
Any comment on how it performs on the larger maps?

Virgil switched to Unity because it is much, much  more efficient than AIR and can exploit video cards for rendering. So take it that it is far better than AIR on any size map.

As for details, so much is probably not in the game yet that specific performance numbers will have no bearing on what Virgil may eventually deliver. And we don't know yet how map makers will (ab)use the features of the new game. :)

zcxcasd

yeah however it turns out, i'm buying it lol
I hope there's an evermore for cw2 too
Everyday I live to play that 10 min of cw1 evermore but the excitement is too short

Karsten75

Quote from: zcxcasd on March 31, 2012, 02:01:54 PM
yeah however it turns out, i'm buying it lol
I hope there's an evermore for cw2 too
Everyday I live to play that 10 min of cw1 evermore but the excitement is too short

Buy the full games and you can play way more than 10 minutes a day... :)

knucracker

Quote from: Nemoricus on March 31, 2012, 02:49:14 AM
This is probably the most exciting thing I've heard all week!

Some initial questions:

1. Will the drones from CW2 make an appearance in this game?

2. Will ore still be needed be needed for anti-creeper production? Will anti-Creeper emitters show up?

3. Will there be repulsor-like units in this game? What about shields?

4. Will there be a hotkey system for selecting user-defined groups of units? Like how most RTS games use Ctrl-# to define a group and # to select that group again?

5. What are those purple-spikey units by what looks like an Odin City equivalent? What about those units with the blue centers and red feet?

More questions to come as I think of them!

Good luck, Virgil. I'm eagerly awaiting any and all news on how development.

1: Drones won't exactly being coming back, but I will experiment with discrete units.  I also plan to experiment with hybrid units that are between discrete and Creeper based....

2: My plans right now are to eliminate 'ore' and move straight to producing AntiCreeper (or other variants...) directly from the Rigs.  This will stream line the process and eliminate the middle man.  It does mean that you have to handle the AntiCreeper as it is produced and conduct it to storage tanks via pipelines.   But, I think this will be cooler and more interesting.  This is one of the potential additions to the game that I'm really excited to play with.

3: I do plan to have field based units.  Their exact form (from shield to black holes) is still all experimental.

4: Yes.  Along with drag selection, double click selection, and shift-click to add/remove units from groups.

5:Those are Reactors and Collectors in the screen shots.  These were two things that worked out really well in CW1, so my plan is to bring them back.  You don't see network lines between structures in the screen shots since I've not implemented those parts yet.

Karsten75

Quote from: Nemoricus on March 31, 2012, 02:49:14 AM

You know of course that this is implemented in CW2, right?