Main Menu

Multiplayer?

Started by D3fr0s7, May 28, 2011, 10:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3fr0s7

Why can't this game have multiplayer? like 1 on 1 multiplayer? Lets say you want to play multiplayer, and you find a game and play against one other player. You are the builder with the ship, and the other player is the creeper, and in the next round, you trade factions. It sounds like it could work. The player with the creeper is able to create drones and excavate and send spores annually to places on the map. And the builder with the ship can do everything he normally does as that faction.| or head-to-head mode where you can see your partners screen and see who can finish a map faster? | This mode I had in mind is a little bit more complex, what if you make Co-op and play with another player, all his buildings are in one dimension, and your buildings are in another dimension. so that they don't interfere with building space, and the creeper is 2x stronger, and in both dimensions. like buildings in dimension 1 can kill creeper in dimension 1 and 2, as well as in dimension 2. Here is an attached pic of what I had in mind.

-Pic-
Circled by (red) you see that power-plants (or any buildings) do not interfere with each other.
Circled by (Purple) you see that is dimension 1, there is 2 weapons attacking creeper. but in dimension 2, all you see is the destruction of creeper.
Circled by (Teal)  you see in dimension 2, an anti-creeper maker producing anti-creeper, while in dimension 1, all you see is the destruction of it.
(Buildings never interfere with each other)(Never see other player's buildings)
I also have another idea in mind, but ill wait for a reply.

UpperKEES

See here for 9 pages with answers. ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

D3fr0s7

Just a suggestion >.>

ontheworld

Quote from: D3fr0s7 on May 28, 2011, 10:13:54 AM
Just a suggestion >.>

Why not post that suggestion in the thread already made for it?
Especially since two of the suggestions were already made (with the second basically how high score works, but then at smaller scale.)

Grauniad

The previous topic on multiplayer in CW2 is in the now-locked-for-posting CW2 Pre-Release Talk board. There is also a misleadingly-titled poll on multi-player in the Random section.

Since talk of multi-player is inevitable, I will leave this topic here rather than move/lock it. Note however, that since this topic was broached many moons ago in CW1, Virgil has never responded at all. That should be a clear indication of where his thinking on this is.

More than a technical decision, it is also a business decision and a substantial one on both fronts. I would imagine that the business case for a multi-player game is a hard one to make.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

TTophat

Actually...gameplay wise, all you would really need to do would be to balance out how structures would hurt eachother, and then how gravity would work (reverse for each person, perhaps, so they were both "at the top" (though it could work quite easily in space levels).  It wouldn't have worked for the original, but it could work quite well, since the AI was given more abilities.  I suppose Makers/emitters would need some balancing for multiplayer...

Grauniad

I"m not going to go into a debate with you (or anyone else) on this topic. What we say or do has no bearing on the eventual outcome. I will, however point out that your "all you would really need" are about as correct as Jules Verne's depiction of a moon trip in "From the Earth to the Moon."
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

MadMag

thepenguin

Quote from: Grauniad on May 28, 2011, 01:23:48 PM
The previous topic on multiplayer in CW2 is in the now-locked-for-posting CW2 Pre-Release Talk board.

request to move, and merge this thread with it
We have become the creeper...

Jeff

multiplayer would awesome but it depends on virgilw opinon.

Kamron3

I'm thinking that the community has already stated several times that it doesn't want a multiplayer.

N. O. to multiplayer.

peter

Quote from: Grauniad on May 28, 2011, 01:30:13 PM
I"m not going to go into a debate with you (or anyone else) on this topic. What we say or do has no bearing on the eventual outcome. I will, however point out that your "all you would really need" are about as correct as Jules Verne's depiction of a moon trip in "From the Earth to the Moon."

I almost missed your reply because I had been laughing so much at that phrase that there were tears in my eyes.

As many realise, (including yourself) there is an awful lot that is needed to run a multiplayer game, and that this is not one is both a blessing, and not a surprise.

Ytaker

Multiplayer is very tricky to code. Indie game developers don't like doing it. Multiplayer can as much as double your profits so a lot of modern games have it, but it's a fornlorn hope for it to be in cw2.

LOL

I've been also thinking about that, and I have some ideas, too:
Maker=
Spoiler
Emitter
[close]
Micro-Rift/Liberation Ship=
Spoiler
Gateway
[close]
Anti-Creeper=
Spoiler
Creeper
[close]
Large Red X=
Spoiler
Small Blue X
[close]
Here, in the table, is: Above is what P1 sees; in the spoiler is what P2 sees.

Fisherck

I have never seen an emitter or gateway move... :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.