Custom Map #1062: Worlds Apart

Started by AutoPost, April 30, 2012, 05:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1062: Worlds Apart

Author: Bongo

Desc:
* THIS MAP IS VERY DIFFICULT * You on the bottom, enemy on the top * Enemy shoots rockets down at you * Normal gravity on bottom 2/3rds anti-gravity on top 1/3 of map * Psychedelic Creeper * Alternate technology aquisition method Hints: * There are 10 missile launchers that fire 6 seconds apart. * Missile volleys launch every 90 seconds and last for 60 seconds * Getting to the anti-gravity top should help a lot, at least until the drones blast you * Dig out the top middle to avoid spending 5 minutes rocketing pink missiles

fitz

Wow, very intriguing, however I'm running out of ideas. Any chance of a clue as to what to do in the first three minutes?

I can stay at the bottom, build and slowly die - in particular because of the drones.
I can move to the top, kill 3 or 4 emitters then it all gets too hard with creeper everywhere.

alice329

That is so hard to keep alive and win.

I tried every way what I find out, but no one could make me win, the only ending is died slowly...

Show me someway to win.....

Bongo

I'm no expert at strategy and I've only had this game for two weeks, but this is how I do it (also I made the map :P).

* Firstly the Holocube gives 300 energy along with 40 Tech.
* I always buy "20% cheaper" + "Reacter Efficiency" first.
* I then click the next two Techs (I always have 2 selected, they take more time than energy)
* Then I make as many reactors (below, only like 4 on top) as I can until exactly 1:00
* At 1:00 I make a Shield 'shell' up top, the solid stones demarcate the 'landing spots for the rockets'. I make the 'shell' exactly 3 rockets wide.
* I then make 6 Blasters and 2 Launchers, and one Maker,  one space inside the shield wall (most wont get done for a while but that's ok).
* After the rockets start hitting the top of your Shield 'shell' double the thickness of the shell and as shields start to die, shrink your shell so that it always has double thickness, especially at the top.

After that it's up to you (Reactors, Techs, Weapons). That one Maker can keep the Creeper from getting inside your base at the bottom, and you definitely will need "Increase Weapon Range" to get the drones before they hit your Shields, and more "Increase Reactor Efficiency". If everything goes right you should have extra weapons a full 'shell' and enough energy to move up by the 3rd volley at 4:30. Then it's a tower of babel maneuver up until you get to the anti-gravity portion. Once there, use all your shields to make a wall across the whole map so that any rocket hits will fall back towards the rocket launchers. Mind the Drone Gates on the left and right (put at least 5 Blasters on both sides, until you Nullify them). Lastly, after taking out the middle two rockets, dig out the top two 25 unit Terrains to quickly kill all the rockets, otherwise it takes 5 boring minutes with 20 Launchers to kill them all.

Good Luck!

Ultraexactzz

That's.... an uncomfortably specific strategy! I'll have to try it out.

teknotiss

yeah i'm not a fan of having to follow a battle plan from the author.
this one is just too unforgiving for any fun for me. and i like massively threatening grinder maps. if there were some openings i could exploit i'd keep at this one but prob just going to get lost in my map list. might notice it in a month or two and retry.
8/10 (for effort and design)
3/10 (for fun playability)
keep making maps. sorry if you think this was a harsh post, just trying to be constructive. ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Bongo

Crap I made a typo.

I meant exactly 4 rockets wide (12 spaces) for the Shield shell. Otherwise you won't have enough space to shrink the shell in the first 3 to 4 minutes while you build more Reactors, Blasters, and Techs. Three might work, but I' ve never done it that way.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, especially with 300 Energy, 40 Tech, and 1:35 unmolested build time. That guy with the 8 minute time is doing something different than me. (Narrower Shield wall?, much more aggressive up steps?)

Sorry if it's too hard, I like hard maps. I just spent an afternoon beating "Day 21: A Second Base" and "Day 23: Trapped" both by J (very hard maps). Easy maps are like playing 'Creeper World Solitaire". I already have regular Solitaire. ;)

DRider

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that one was a BEAR!!!  Took me quite a few retries before I managed to create a self-sustaining base at the bottom and then I had to fight all the way up.  Now I'll try it your way and see what happens...

joshuad156

Fun map!  Only took me a few tries to get enough blasters up at the beginning to hold back the flow.  I beat this before reading the comments, but my strategy was nearly the same.  Clear land/build reactors for the first minute or so.  Spend the next 30 sec putting up blasters and a shield wall.  Double thick on top for drone protection.  Then it was a matter of build reactors, a few more blasters, get your weapon range/speed and reactor upgrades, then just clear the map.

Karsten75

Quote from: teknotiss on April 30, 2012, 03:35:18 PM
yeah i'm not a fan of having to follow a battle plan from the author.
this one is just too unforgiving for any fun for me. and i like massively threatening grinder maps. if there were some openings i could exploit i'd keep at this one but prob just going to get lost in my map list. might notice it in a month or two and retry.
8/10 (for effort and design)
3/10 (for fun playability)
keep making maps. sorry if you think this was a harsh post, just trying to be constructive. ;)

Yes, this was harsh and uncalled for. You don't *have* to follow the battle plan. It was merely a suggestion of how to beat it. I and others beat it before the suggestion was published.

I had to restart a few times as my understanding evolved of what will happen in later phases of the map and what was criticl to protect or not.

I ended up building a moving shield wall and moving my LS up as the game progressed. Eventually I moved to the left and concentrated on taking some emitters out on the left.  Then things got more bearable.  Don't remember what I did after that.

To the map maker:  Dude this is a great map. Not easy, but winnable.  I left it and came back to beat it.  Nice work!

teknotiss

karsten did you make this map?
if no then i respect your opinion of my opinion, but did you need to reply to me to tell the author you liked his map?
also why do you feel the need to gloat over you beating it.
the author has replied after my post explaining what he likes and wants, i'm not sure you help by aiming more of your snipes at me.
please karsten leave me alone. can i state it any clearer for you?
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Karsten75

Quote from: teknotiss on May 04, 2012, 03:09:42 PM
karsten did you make this map?
No, my name on maps I make is Karsten75. This map was  made by the guy with the handle "Bongo."
if no then i respect your opinion of my opinion, but did you need to reply to me to tell the author you liked his map?
I replied to you to tell you that the map is not subject to a single solution as you implied when you rated it 3/10.
also why do you feel the need to gloat over you beating it.
Gloat? I'm often very happy when I beat a difficult level in a game. But gloat? I don't think so. Gloat means I compare my score as superior to some other players. I don't see where I did that nor do  I play well enough to claim the top spot ever.
the author has replied after my post explaining what he likes and wants, i'm not sure you help by aiming more of your snipes at me.
It was not a snipe, it was pointing out that you were in fact harsh to say that you have to follow the battle plan from the author and then give it 3/10. So I felt compelled to let the author know that others do in fact find the map fun. That way your negative comment can be balanced with a positive so the map maker will perhaps make more maps - even if you may not like them.
please karsten leave me alone. can i state it any clearer for you?

These are *discussion* forums, when you post on them, you make your opinion available to everyone and people are entitled to comment.
While I prefer to provide my opinion of maps, I will also provide my opinion when I think a map has been unjustly criticized.

But other than that, sure, I have no desire to interact with you. Go your own way.

teknotiss

you failed to note the 8/10 that i put in primary position about the map design. odd ;)
i was putting my opinion here for the author, and for me the map wasn't fun to play.
you don't agree, ok but why did you need to reply to or quote me?
i also fail to see the part of my original quote where i stated that there was only one way to complete it?
i couldn't see the openings/methods and so i was engaging the author to let them know i thought the map was too unforgiving. my opinion which the author may have found interesting, or not.
my apology about any percieved harshness was to the author (who didn't mention it) as i wanted to be sure i wouldn't come across as sacastic, or cutting, or mean, or rude, to said author, which may have put said author off from making more maps.
this has, i'm informed, happened before, and i didn't want to cause that. there are few enough repeat map makers to risk mis-understandings, or to be unpleasant.
i really wasn't harsh, as the score i gave was split into design and playability.
the 8/10 indicated i believed this map had a lot of effort and skill put into it, and the fact that i don't like it's play style in no way detracts from either this map, or your opinion, or anyone elses, about it.
ps after our last little exchange i went my own way. i was deliberately not engaging directly with you. from my point of view you deliberately engaged me.

Helper

This was one of those maps that I gave up on, then came back a few weeks later. It still kicked my butt severely, but at least I could finish it.

Next time I will try some of the techniques discussed here.

I like tough maps and this was definitely that.
Well done.