Custom Map #1037: Merry Christmas. By: FOXX

Started by AutoPost, January 18, 2018, 11:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniels220

Thanks for looking into it. Yes, both of those saves are from a full restart.

FOXX

Quote from: daniels220 on January 30, 2018, 01:28:49 PM
Thanks for looking into it. Yes, both of those saves are from a full restart.

Interesting indeed.
I haven't heard from the Scriptmaker yet.
But maybe you can try this save file from me and put this in your editor and see how that works out.

Greets
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

kajacx

Hello and sorry for such a late response, sometimes I gen un-motivated for weeks on and and can't get myself to do anything.

The bug with the coal spawning after you load is really wierd, it might ba a bug in Particle Fleet itself convering how global variables are store across saves, since the state of the gring is stored in a global variable.

To clarify the small presents: they drop from doppels and from enemy present ships. That means only enemy ships that have the present and ribbons on them will drop the small presents. Also only small presents drop omnis and ampgemps, so farming the is definetely the way to go, although the chance of getting one of these lowers with how many you get.

Finally you should be getting small presents again after you defeat the Grinch, if not, that's a bug in the script and I appologise for it.
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

daniels220

I had the thought that it might be a PF bug. Let me know if I can help in any way to figure it out. I don't know PRPL at all, haven't even opened the editor for that matter, but I'm familiar with programming, so I could probably read stuff enough to understand what you're talking about... Also, I'm reminded of this map from CW3, where global state is explicitly, intentionally preserved across restarts. Here you're not trying to, and a "global variable" as I understand it does seem like it should still be local to a particular instantiation of a particular map and stored in the save file, but...still, I wonder.

Aha, that makes sense about the small presents. I don't think I ever destroyed a present ship, certainly not until after the Grinch had spawned.

Of note, I think the thing about getting presents instead of coal after you destroy the Grinch is inconsistent with the text, which as I remember it says...ah. Maybe what was meant was, the coal you already got turns into energy pods, but further doppels and present ships you destroy go back to giving you presents?

FOXX

QuoteMaybe what was meant was, the coal you already got turns into energy pods, but further doppels and present ships you destroy go back to giving you presents?

I know this is the case.

Have you tried the save yet to see if that works ok?
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

daniels220

I hadn't, but I now have—still getting coal, unfortunately. I did get a good first few drops, though, so maybe I'll try playing it out and see if waiting for the Grinch to appear, then destroying it, fixes the problem on subsequent plays.

daniels220

Update: Still playing, getting highly inconsistent results. Grinch appeared, I killed it. 99% sure I got at least one piece of coal after that. But then I did start getting small presents from present-ships, at least. Camped a ship spawner, got a bunch of stuff which I mostly couldn't see (all stacked up). Grinch re-appeared (I assume it's supposed to?), I killed it again. Noticed that there was definitely some coal mixed in with the small presents, but figured it was from when the Grinch had spawned and was building and I hadn't noticed it yet. Just now killed a Doppel, got coal, checked and the Grinch is definitely not there. So...???

FOXX

Strange, when i tested the mechanisms for this map all seemed to work ok.
And i have played this map more than any of my other maps just because i liked the mechanisms very much.
All seemed to work well.

I just loaded up the map again -> started playing and the first Doppel i destroy leaves Coal. so i am baffled at the moment.
It shouldn't be a Save/load issue because i've tested that before but i don't know why the doppel just spawned Coal instead of a present.
Also very odd is that you are the only one who addressed this issue.

Really don't know why the Map doesn't work for you Daniels220 but i think i have a bit of bad news.
Since Kajacx and myself have moved on to new Projects i don't think we have a lot of time to investigate this issue.

What i can say is that i can't help you further because these scripts are to complicated for me and i don't know if Kajacx has the time.

Greets,
FOXX

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

daniels220

Yeah, it's a mystery. I did ultimately finish the map, which was my main goal, so I'm good.

FOXX

Quote from: daniels220 on February 08, 2018, 11:25:30 AM
Yeah, it's a mystery. I did ultimately finish the map, which was my main goal, so I'm good.

:D
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

Kerbal Kowbell

A very good and enjoyable map, with x-mas broiling in the casseroles I happily bump this one for attention for any possible new players - or those like me had not played this one until now.  ;D
Edit: And yes had a completely different set of ships and spawns on a second replay, cutting down the finish time by a whole minute.