Custom Map: Nice Job 19: The Paleontologist

Started by AutoPost, June 19, 2010, 06:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 19: The Paleontologist

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
You'll have a rather easy start, but as the emitters increase slightly during the first 15 minutes you won't be able to just sit and wait. Can be played laid back though. Have some prehistoric fun!

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 19: The Paleontologist
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
You'll have a rather easy start, but as the emitters increase slightly during the first 15 minutes you won't be able to just sit and wait. Can be played laid back though. Have some prehistoric fun!

Description:
For weeks you have been escavating the fossile remains of 5 prehistoric animals.

As an experienced paleontologist you realize how lucky you are to find so many different species at one site.

Finally you and your team are finished and all creatures seem to be perfectly intact:

- a Tyrannosaurus Rex
- a Pterodactylus
- a Stegosaurus
- an Apatosaurus (also known as Brontosaurus)
- a Trilobite

At the moment you take your camera to make some pictures, the animals turn out to be less fossilized than you expected....

Download page:
Nice Job 19: The Paleontologist

Full size screen shot:

More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

NNR_Alex

'can be played laid back' yeah after i got 2-3 blasters and 2 mortars up and running, then filling up most of the space i had with reactors.  I lost a lot of time trying to advance too soon, and even more time trying to cap one of the emitters before i realized it can't be done

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on June 19, 2010, 03:54:36 PM
'can be played laid back' yeah after i got 2-3 blasters and 2 mortars up and running, then filling up most of the space i had with reactors.  

Hahaha! ;D Like I said you can't just sit and wait, but you won't get into real trouble during the first minutes when you just build collectors and a few reactors.

After that you can just add 1 mortar and 1 blaster and keep building reactors without getting a deficit.

Spoiler
I guess it also depends a bit which location you chose for Odin City.... ;)
[close]

Quote from: NNR_Alex on June 19, 2010, 03:54:36 PM
I lost a lot of time trying to advance too soon, and even more time trying to cap one of the emitters before i realized it can't be done

Spoiler
Indeed better wait until you have enough energy, some storage and a few speed nodes set up, so you don't have to worry about that later.
[close]

Spoiler
3 of the 5 emitters can be capped and those are the 3 strongest. Two blasters is enough for each of them (assuming they don't get distracted by surrounding creeper), but I added 1 more myself to be sure. Only the Trilobite and the Pterodactylus can't be capped.
[close]

NNR_Alex

yeah i had a lot of blasters on that stupid bug, the bird wasn't much of an issue as i just had to clear the creeper away from the corner wing.

Fisherck

Wow. Another fun map that constantly tests my skills at this game. I must have started it five times before I got my plan down, and even then, you beat me by 4 minutes (game time)! :'( But I loved the challenge of the map ;D. Keep it up!
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Thanks! :)

Spoiler
I overbuilt a little (up to 23-24 energy and because that was too much I built >20 speed nodes), so 16 minutes should be possible.
[close]

Alwego

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 20, 2010, 01:11:00 PM
Thanks! :)

I overbuilt a little (up to 23-24 energy and because that was too much I built >20 speed nodes), so 16 minutes should be possible.

~17 energy packet per second should be ok ;-)

Miss Melissa

Dinosaurs!  ;D  im obviously determined. those scores are pretty hard to beat..

UpperKEES

Quote from: Alwego on June 20, 2010, 05:15:12 PM

Great time Alwego! :) Nice to see you back here and even better to see that you're still as good as you were a couple of months ago!

Thanks for the tip, I'll take that into account during my next attempt.

Quote from: Miss Melissa on June 21, 2010, 03:31:42 AM
Dinosaurs!  ;D  im obviously determined. those scores are pretty hard to beat..

Yeah, I guessed you would like that. ;) Indeed pretty tough scores. I will have to think of something new to beat Alwego....  8)

UpperKEES

Quote from: Alwego on June 20, 2010, 05:15:12 PM

Yep.

Spoiler
I started off with about 16 and completed the map with ~19. I misjudged the timing for building my second batch of blasters, which cost me about 40 seconds. It was my 3rd attempt by the way; on my 2nd try I had exactly your score: 7947, so I aborted when the rift opened. :P
[close]

DethbyIT

:-[
Anyone feeling generous enough to offer a couple more hints?
I've read through all of the comments, tried a variety of locations for the city, blasters & mortars, reactors & collectors - all with the same (dead) result.
Thanks.
dbit

UpperKEES

Spoiler
I'd pick the Apatosaurus (OC is between its tail when you start) and first generate as much energy as possible before creating weapons.
[close]

Spoiler
I'd use a blaster to prevent the creeper from flowing down the neck and a mortar to attack the creeper in the center of the map. Keep generating more energy (reactors!) and only add weapons when you really need them. A total of 2 mortars should be enough, but you'll need a lot more blasters to conquer the map completely.
[close]

Spoiler
When you start your assault I would go up and clear the Stegosaurus. Just advance a little and again generate more energy. When you're up to 16-18 energy per second you start adding some speed nodes and all the blasters you'll need for the rest of the map. Then cross to the T-rex and connect to the final totems.
[close]

Let me know if that works out for you!

AJ

Thank you - I'm am setting up right now.
Details later.

DethbyIT

Glad I'm not the only one looking for help.
Thank you for the hints - I was able to survive all the way through (but would love to see a video of one of you speed demons cranking through it).

Excellent fun.