Custom Map #1295: PACursor2:Remix- Resource Denial. By: Shatterstep

Started by AutoPost, April 09, 2021, 09:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1295: PACursor2:Remix- Resource Denial

Author: Shatterstep
Size: 320x200

Shatterstep

I wonder if I made the map too easy... Hmm.

I switched the cursor output script right before release. I had done all my tuning with the version 2 of the script, not 3. Alas.v2 calculated things based on area, v3 based on amount.

Jerle

Quote from: Shatterstep on April 09, 2021, 11:13:57 PM

I switched the cursor output script right before release. I had done all my tuning with the version 2 of the script, not 3. Alas.v2 calculated things based on area, v3 based on amount.

Biggest thing is the eggs.  They pop inside the walls and you can get them next to the rift for a sniper to hit if you place your emitters right.

Shatterstep

Quote from: Jerle on April 10, 2021, 12:13:43 AM

Biggest thing is the eggs.  They pop inside the walls and you can get them next to the rift for a sniper to hit if you place your emitters right.

Good feedback. I think you are right, way too many eggs. Maybe if they had been cut in half it would have helped. It was a fun mechanic, I think I went too far with them, lol.

knightace

Big yep to this. I like the concept for this; with the walled-off areas sucking up anti-creep to keep a controlled amount. However, that cursor change just ruins any level of challenge.

For example; I walked creep over the -500 badlands right into the home base and took down the rift. Bypassed the whole maze.
Maybe re-upload with the older cursor?

Shatterstep

Quote from: knightace on April 10, 2021, 12:48:53 AM

Big yep to this. I like the concept for this; with the walled-off areas sucking up anti-creep to keep a controlled amount. However, that cursor change just ruins any level of challenge.

For example; I walked creep over the -500 badlands right into the home base and took down the rift. Bypassed the whole maze.
Maybe re-upload with the older cursor?

The downside is the older one is laggier I think. I'll have to re-balance everything and reupload.

Malignantmind

It was definitely too easy, but that's not a bad thing. It was fun just being an unstoppable wave of creeper. And getting revenge for how annoying parts of the original map could be. Definitely cut back on the eggs though because I took half the map without even realizing it because of those.

Karzon

Yeah, once that spore tower just to the SE of the rift gets active, there's a tile where you can bypass the wall and sneak over.

Piko

Forbs' pathfinding is rather unsettling... lol (not a feedback to this map in particular)

Durikkan

I got super lucky here and scored what seems to be a near perfect time on my second attempt (As Auri). 2:51.4.  Basically you take the spawn just south of the rift lab, quickly free the skimmers, and if you're lucky, one will disable the nullifier up on the plateau to your northeast at the right time, and that spore launcher will spawn an egg early (apparently it doesn't have the 3 min minimum like the other spores, but you don't normally notice because it's nullified.).  The egg will be immediately sniped, and then you can use the cursor to get to the rift lab, thanks to the 1 tile wide gap between the crazonium and the absorber terrain. 

It's a fun map though, and allows for lots of interesting strategies, so well done.  I did the north spawn on my first run and that was a very different adventure. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

Shatterstep

Quote from: Durikkan on April 10, 2021, 01:19:29 PM
I got super lucky here and scored what seems to be a near perfect time on my second attempt (As Auri). 2:51.4.  Basically you take the spawn just south of the rift lab, quickly free the skimmers, and if you're lucky, one will disable the nullifier up on the plateau to your northeast at the right time, and that spore launcher will spawn an egg early (apparently it doesn't have the 3 min minimum like the other spores, but you don't normally notice because it's nullified.).  The egg will be immediately sniped, and then you can use the cursor to get to the rift lab, thanks to the 1 tile wide gap between the crazonium and the absorber terrain. 

It's a fun map though, and allows for lots of interesting strategies, so well done.  I did the north spawn on my first run and that was a very different adventure.

I'll have to close the gap at the rift lab. Maybe I'll rework some of the layout just to keep things fresh.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wanted there to be a lot of replayability, so even having different difficulty per spawn point is cool.

heritor

Pro wrestler, graphic designer, video editor, programmer, cat daddy, game designer - I'm more caffeine than man.

phischphood

That was great fun. A little too easy, I started in the bottom left corner and the flying blob thing gave me instant access to deep areas of the maze. It was nice to have a shorter map though.

One question, what actually do the cursor maps mean/do? They all seem to assume you know. I guess it's supposed to be creeper is emitted from  where your cursor is, but I couldn't see any evidence of that happening.

dwilkinson

Quote from: phischphood on April 11, 2021, 10:57:30 AM
That was great fun. A little too easy, I started in the bottom left corner and the flying blob thing gave me instant access to deep areas of the maze. It was nice to have a shorter map though.

One question, what actually do the cursor maps mean/do? They all seem to assume you know. I guess it's supposed to be creeper is emitted from  where your cursor is, but I couldn't see any evidence of that happening.
Cursor maps let you produce creep where your cursor is IF there is already some there, it can be 0.1 depth, as long as some creep is there. It does not work over void.(this is for PAC cursor maps, normal cursor maps are the same but with Anticreep instead)

phischphood

great, thanks, it's the "as long as some creep is there" bit that I hadn't realised.