This topic is for discussion of map #88: Rocket

Author: ThirdParty
Size: 20x20

Desc:
#Puzzle #NoCRPL #3P

Asbestos

Okay, I think this is how it works:
Spoiler
Put down a blaster, then a guppy, destroy the blaster, use the guppy to build an ore mine, use the ore mine to make AC, use AC rain to destroy the creeper and then the emitter.
[close]
I haven't beat the level yet, though, so I can't see if this actually works.

J

Spoiler
You need to terp a bit of the top of the rocket to have a CN and a oremine at the same time. AC rain seems like a very good idea on a small map like this.
[close]

12345ieee

I won it, giant spoiler onward:
Spoiler

AC is waaay overrated these days, I did it in the old fashioned way in under 13 minutes.
In spoiler there is an image of my final position.

Spoiler
[close]

I won't give away the full strategy yet, but you can ask for hints.

So there are 2 possibilities: or I found a loophole in your map, since my time is 10 minutes lower than yours (and that's why I didn't submit my score) or you put those ore mines just to distract us.
[close]

Totally awesome map, had a lot of fun trying different strategies.
Looking forward to other puzzle maps.

ThirdParty

Congratulations, 12345ieee!

Quote from: 12345ieee on January 27, 2014, 09:27:04 PMthere are 2 possibilities: or I found a loophole in your map, since my time is 10 minutes lower than yours (and that's why I didn't submit my score) or [...]

Unlike its predecessor, "Racquet" (which you should play if you haven't yet), "Rocket" was created without any particular solution in mind.  I just built a map that I thought might be interesting, flailed around until the emitter died, and then posted it.  So there's no such thing as a "loophole".  Go ahead and submit your score.

I tried replaying it just now, with a new strategy based on the screenshot you posted, and ended up with 8 minutes instead of 23.  My new solution is very different from, and more satisfying than, my old one: like my old one (and unlike yours, from what you've shown of it) it uses a civilian structure, but it uses a different one than the old one did.

It makes me happy that there are multiple possible strategies!

Quote from: 12345ieee on January 27, 2014, 09:27:04 PMLooking forward to other puzzle maps.

I think you may be the only one; this is the lowest-rated and least-completed map in all of Colonial Space.

Tyler21

Wow.  :o
I just discovered your maps. Wow.

This was the most challenging and puzzling CW3 map I've ever played. And the fact that you can complete it in different ways makes it even more amazing. I would give 11/10 if it was possible.
"Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act."
― Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Check my collection of the 30 most difficult and challenging maps in Colonial Space!

hbarudi

How can a blaster and a mortar do the map? I built a blaster and it dies, map is out for a long time now and we really need a walkthrough of some sort. Good the emitter only make 5 creeper and not 20.

cornucanis

I've made of my approach to this map since it still has one of the lowest completion ratios in Colonial Space. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Maybe someone will be able take something away from the video :P

D0m0nik

Just watched both your videos, defo more than a little of Alter about you! Very intersetingn to watch.

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

cornucanis

Quote from: yum-forum on January 29, 2018, 12:44:13 PM
Funny video with dance of weapons!  :)

Haha yes, quite a lot of dancing around with the weapons in between waves! I am very thankful for CTRL+1 and SHIFT+1 hotkeys on this map!

Quote from: D0m0nik on January 29, 2018, 12:10:04 PM
Just watched both your videos, defo more than a little of Alter about you!

Thanks, I think that's the highest compliment anyone on this community can receive!  ;D

You can definitely tell that a lot of my techniques were influenced by Alter. Probably most obvious is the  tactic of dedicating a save slot to an "opening setup" that can be modified and refined as you play the map repeatedly and find out precisely what you need to win. I don't really use one on this map due to the nature of the map, but you can definitely see me use this technique on the other video I made.

Thanks for watching! I might make a few more, but they will have to be on small performance-friendly maps until I'm able to get myself a decent system to record on  :P