A general observation

Started by Kjempff, June 18, 2011, 01:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjempff

All in all I like the ideas of CW2, a completely rethought game with so many new interesting ideas.

One thing I have observed though is that at the end of each map, it seem to get a tad tedious to finish.
Correct me if I just haven't found the finer aspects yet, but working through a long maze seem to be done only using blasters. Taking one or two blasters from the back of your force, placing them at the front, rinse reapeat every 2 seconds.
This constant micro management, in longer games (past day 12ish) get slightly tedious and one sided at the end of the game, while the start of a map is challanging and tactical.

I don't have a specific solution to this, but I miss a bit more use of alternative weapons or tactics.
One thing comes to mind too, one of the great things in CW was that you could build a handful of weapons and move them into creeper to clear a big are instead of one small step at a time. The weapons would often survive so long that you could build the path behind with defenses, but in CW2 you can't move weapons into creeper like that because they will die too fast - So I find myself stuck with the small step with blasters approach.

Other than that I love CW2, gains on me every mission.
ps. The demo missions don't really give full justification to the game, and I am not certain I would have bought the game based on the demo.. good thing I did though :)
Cheers looking forward to the editor.

CobraKill

I think it will be like this until the editor, unfourtanetly. We'll just have to wait and see.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Sqaz

Quote from: Kjempff on June 18, 2011, 01:36:21 PM
This constant micro management, in longer games (past day 12ish) get slightly tedious and one sided at the end of the game, while the start of a map is challanging and tactical.

I think most of those later games aren't that tedious, like in the aquisition maps or the Bonus ones.
Actually apart from the two maze maps "The experiment" and "Exterminate!" every map is very un-tedious.

Quote from: Kjempff on June 18, 2011, 01:36:21 PM
I don't have a specific solution to this, but I miss a bit more use of alternative weapons or tactics.
One thing comes to mind too, one of the great things in CW was that you could build a handful of weapons and move them into creeper to clear a big are instead of one small step at a time. The weapons would often survive so long that you could build the path behind with defenses, but in CW2 you can't move weapons into creeper like that because they will die too fast - So I find myself stuck with the small step with blasters approach.

Well then, use repulsors makers or launchers and you'll see that most of the time these will make things go faster.
And you can still drop weapons in the creeper in e.g. "The experiment" thsi saves some time, you must just be sure you don't send them in too deep or the creeper isn't too dense.

Kjempff

I just finished day 18 finally, and again it was very tedious after the initial challange of surviving the big skulls.
I would even dare say day 18 is annoying, as were day 17.
Day 17 and 18 I ended up with having to use around 100 weapons of all types to win, and moving those one click at a time .. it was tedious. Especially the small ghosts are annoying when you have to advance 1 blaster at a time or they will blow up any weapon they meet.
I have trouble clearing a chamber full of creeper too (especially with ghosts), as the weapons seem weak and short ranged for that task.. might be a tactical solution I haven't found yet.

I take up a challange and I am so damned stubborn I WILL finish it all, but the last two days 17-18 have not really been much fun.

Ytaker

If you double click on a tower all similar towers within weapons range will move. Late level you should have limitless energy essentially so you can just build thirty blasters and toss them at any emitters you see. Some will die but you don't care.

With the invaders you shouldn't need to move more than two blasters at a time, if fully upgraded.

Grauniad

If you have the new version that includes code maps, Virgil has added group controls. I'm not sure that he has as yet added this to the help text, so here is how I described the use for another member here.

Group controls:

1. Select a few units by holding down shift wheile clicking on the units.
2. After you have selected all the units you want in a group, release Shift.
3. Now (for the first group), press Ctrl and 1.
4. You can now give the group a movement order by placing the cursor at the destination.
5. The re-select the group, press Shift and 1. The same units will be selected again
6. You can now give the group a movement order by placing the cursor at the destination.

Ctrl+number assigns to a group, Shift+number recalls the group and then you can click on the destination.

Ctrl+zero releases the group.

You can have up to 9 groups and you can then easily give them movement orders by selecting a destination.

HTH
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kjempff

Aha, two things made it smoother now.
Grouping .. thanks for the advice, works but lags like..
Cheated and looked at videos and noticed an essential thing with the shield and breaking in.. now I don't need 50 units (and loose half) to break a small room :P

With those two tricks in mind, the tediousness I was complaining about is more or less gone.
Spank me with a wet celeri.

UpperKEES

My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

CobraKill

Quote from: Kjempff on June 20, 2011, 12:26:55 AM
Spank me with a wet celeri.

I don't have any celeri, does a noodle work? ;D
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

thepenguin

We have become the creeper...

Pyxis_GeeK

Why should we when you will spell it for us..... ;)

thepenguin

Quote from: Pyxis_GeeK on June 20, 2011, 11:20:19 AM

well, buyery and celery some stocks :P

(excuse the pun, I couldn't help it)

Pyxis_GeeK

Quote from: thepenguin on June 20, 2011, 11:21:50 AM

LOL oh how I have missed this place.

thepenguin

Quote from: Pyxis_GeeK on June 20, 2011, 11:22:41 AM
Quote from: thepenguin on June 20, 2011, 11:21:50 AM

LOL oh how I have missed this place.

glad to know

want to hear samoa puns (some more puns) (pun intended)

ontheworld