Bug with Ore Guppy / Sprayer / AC combos

Started by legobil, October 22, 2013, 09:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legobil

Hey! New to the forums, but i have found a bug I would like to report.

I have in virgilw's Alpha world, on the Dungeon Novice map noticed something weird where i try to use Guppys to send Ore packets. Despite having excess AC in my storage, some Guppys refuse to load with AC, while being yellow with the ore box checked. Further I have Guppys fully loaded with AC that refuse to deploy their cargo to empty, fully constructed Sprayers despite standing next to it, clearly having a network connection and I also tried with relay between.

Also, in the center of the map there is a Anti Creeper emitter, i flew over guppys there and placed a sprayer and had him draining the area and that was no issue, it went as I sent the fully loaded Ore Guppys to the command node to unload and so they did, despite my AC storage being full. Now, I dont know if that AC was destroyed/wasted or if it was stored but not accounted for in the UI.

So, I understand that these alpha maps are quirky and some made early in the dev cycle and so I dont know if these bugs(?) are linked to this specific map or if there is a overlying issue with some core mechanic. Have anyone else experienced similar problems with guppy/sprayer combos, on this map or otherwise? Thanks for the time

Grauniad

Ore is not AC. Guppies can carry ore from an Ore mine or from Ore packets collected by sprayers that have the "return Excess Ore" click box enabled back to a CN. To distribute AC you have to either use a SPrayer firing at visible (line-of-sight) creeper or have one or more bombers drop AC.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

legobil

Aha, so it wasnt a bug but feature. But this means that sprayers cant be put on "invasion" style front lines since guppies cant supply them, they require a land line from the CN in order to work properly. Correct?

4xC

Correct.

Distant AC distribution: that's what bombers are for. And it only works well if there are plenty of ore deposits to begin with. That makes maps with less than 3 a bunch of ore-based wastes.
C,C,C,C

Karsten75

I assume you've never heard of collecting some AC and using it judiciously? Not every instance calls for continuous and  liberal drowning of terrain with AC. Consider the poor people that live on the land. Do you think they appreciate the soldiers leaving and leaving their fields and parks drenched in that AC goop? Would you let your children play in AC?

4xC

Yep.

It's almost the same deal with raw energy as it is with AC. Harvesting energy and loading the raw energy into a guppy is like how USA harvests many resources by import.
C,C,C,C

NFITC1

I wonder if AC is sticky...

I've always pictured AC as a non-corrosive creeper annihilator. Not that it's good for living things, it just doesn't hurt machines and ground like C does and it naturally evaporates.

MizInIA

Quote from: NFITC1 on October 23, 2013, 12:49:32 PM
I wonder if AC is sticky...

I've always pictured AC as a non-corrosive creeper annihilator. Not that it's good for living things, it just doesn't hurt machines and ground like C does and it naturally evaporates.

I think it is slimy. that is why we have to land and place units on level terrain. other wise they would slide to the bottom of the hill.  ;D

that being said wouldn't that be a cool game mechanic if the game were 3D. terrain modification is not needed but if you flood the area with AC it becomes slick and units slide off if they are not on level ground.

Kingo

Quote from: Karsten75 on October 23, 2013, 09:33:35 AM
I assume you've never heard of collecting some AC and using it judiciously? Not every instance calls for continuous and  liberal drowning of terrain with AC. Consider the poor people that live on the land. Do you think they appreciate the soldiers leaving and leaving their fields and parks drenched in that AC goop? Would you let your children play in AC?

It technically evaporates like creeper that is cut off from emitters..
I imagine that nobody would want to live on a planet, being paranoid about creeper structures suddenly showing up.
If it were me in command of the human race, I would decree that all planets have underground AC supplies and a planet-wide network of delivery systems.

Cherry

I'm pretty sure AC causes cancer in laboratory animals

Yalichenta

Quote from: Kingo on October 27, 2013, 02:25:10 AM
I would decree that all planets have underground AC supplies and a planet-wide network of delivery systems.

Seeing all the trouble some civilizations went trough to fight creeper, I'm sure some of them tried it... and eventually still got overwhelmed :P