Thumb drive for backup

Started by knucracker, September 12, 2013, 07:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

I use cloud backup, daily directory backups to NAS (with RAID 1), even regular old windows backup of my main development machine to a NAS.
But what about this as well?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178659

It looks cheap enough... so why not plug this into an open usb port on the back of my system and setup a daily backup of my important dirs (like my source tree) to a thumb drive?  Better, worse, or no different than backing up to an SSD or an external hard drive, etc.?

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

knucracker

That might not matter at 3:00am during an automated process...
Is a thumb drive more or less reliable than an SSD or hard drive?

Another thing I am paranoid about are other internal devices.  I had a power supply explode one time and in the process it cooked everything plugged into it.  Motherboard, CPU, memory... resistors were blown off the control boards of the hard drives and even the dvd drive.  My internal backup hard drive got destroyed at the same instant as the drive it was backing up.  I wonder in that case if a usb thumb drive would have been cooked too.  Maybe so....

asmussen

I personally back my Windows 7 machine up to a network share on a Linux system that I use for a file server. The copies of the data are on two completely separate machines at that point. Came in handy recently too, when the hard drive in my Windows box failed. All I had to do was install a new drive, boot off of the Windows 7 DVD and tell it to restore my system from the network share. A couple of hours later, the system was back up and running as if it had never had an issue in the first place.
Shawn Asmussen

Kingo

You can store 128 GB worth of data in THAT?!

lich98

I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Grauniad

Here's a USB 3.0 drive. You may think the extra $30 is not a bad deal when you actually try to write 128GB to the little darling. :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233566
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon