Custom Map #6736: JUBILEE CSM-50. By: yum234

Started by AutoPost, November 01, 2018, 12:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #6736: JUBILEE CSM-50

Author: yum234
Size: 144x144

Desc:
Cornucanis Style Map with Kajacx Integrated SuperSemiconductors. As toy gift for Jubilee we created new unit - SB (Stargate Blocker)! :) SB - friendly unit which player can control. By click on SB and then click on any destination Stargate player can move it and Stargate will be blocked (not work!). Control of SB possible only when game not paused. At any time you can change position of SB. Please enjoy JUBILEE CAKE! :) #BravoCornucanis #ThanksToKajacx #GoodLuck

yum-forum

D0m0nik, whether the cake and cherry (Stargate Blocker) on it was yummy?  ;)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

cornucanis

We've finally reached map #50! Thanks to everyone who has played the game mode and given us some great words of encouragement  ;D

I originally approached yum a few days ago and told him that since he's nearing map #50 I wanted to make a new script for him to celebrate the milestone. The script I proposed was for a new stargate boss fight but yum had a better idea, the stargate blocker! We may someday still see that boss I've envisioned, but for now this toy is much more versatile and can be used in a wider variety of maps  :)

Now let's talk about how it works... You start the map with several blockers. If you click one one, it will select it. Multi-select is not supported due to the nature of how the blockers move. After selecting a blocker, you'll see a red shadow appear under your mouse that will turn green when you mouse over an open stargate. Clicking the open stargate will send the blocker to the gate. When the blocker arrives, he will plug up the stargate and prevent it from interacting with the stargate network. Pretty simple overall, but it opens up the door for interesting new strategies.

There are a few drawbacks to the script though. The biggest one is that you can't interact with the blockers while paused. It's certainly not impossible to do with CRPL, it's something I can patch myself one day or someone else could patch if they were enterprising and wanted to improve the script. The problem is that it would be a little time consuming to make sure there are no major errors with the implementation since you'd essentially have to divide the script into a pause-friendly portion and a non pause-friendly portion. I've been working on game jams lately and have a new one starting today, so I only had a few days to knock out the script and wasn't able to fully make it support paused interaction.

Also note that there were a couple of improvements to the script I made as we tested map #50 that aren't yet reflected in the map because yum had already finalized the map before I made the changes. In future maps using the blockers, though, the highlighter ring will be much bigger and more noticeable because we found it was easy to "lose" your blockers if you forgot where you put them. In addition, there will probably be some blockers that move faster in future maps. I've made the highlighter ring spin faster or slower depending on the blocker's movement speed to give visual feedback on their speed.

Finally, I'll try to get the new finished template available on the forums within a few days. I have a few more tweaks I want to make, but in the worst case that I'm not able to get it to the forum (as with the last one, when you guys had to pass it around yourselves because I was absent) I've attached a temporary template that should have everything you need to use the blockers in your own map!

D0m0nik

Hi Yum

Yes I am loving all of your maps, but these are my favourites. They are a rare map where I don't use the pause button which is very relaxing.

The new feature here was great and gave an extra dimension. Nice to be at the top of the board but it won't be for long, I am not quick at these maps for some reason.

Enjoy them loads though, thank you.

Deatzar

KingGladiator88

I really enjoyed it. The blockers make you think in new ways and different approaches to the board.

However I wish there were neutral stargates like a white or black stargate that the blockers spawn in that you could return them to if you didn't need them anymore so they weren't forced to be placed in a spot if you didn't need them at that point.

yum-forum

Quote from: Deatzar on November 01, 2018, 05:59:32 PM
Отличная карта.

Спасибо, дорогой Царь!

Big thanks!  :)
last

yum-forum

Quote from: KingGladiator88 on November 01, 2018, 08:55:27 PM
I really enjoyed it. The blockers make you think in new ways and different approaches to the board.

However I wish there were neutral stargates like a white or black stargate that the blockers spawn in that you could return them to if you didn't need them anymore so they weren't forced to be placed in a spot if you didn't need them at that point.

Thanks for comment!

Concerning special neutral stargate for landing SB (Stargate Blockers) which you don't need to use. We leaved possibility to land any number of SB to one stargate.  :)

P.S. Black color stargate already exist. Black hole. White stargate (and brown stargate) we plan to add in future for better variety of color gates. I think this will help to create more interesting gameplay.
P.P.S. Just now I checked new version of Cornucanis script and find out that "possibility to land any number of SB to one stargate" will be impossible...  :-[
last

yum-forum

Quote from: D0m0nik on November 01, 2018, 05:24:38 PM
Hi Yum

Yes I am loving all of your maps, but these are my favourites. They are a rare map where I don't use the pause button which is very relaxing.

The new feature here was great and gave an extra dimension. Nice to be at the top of the board but it won't be for long, I am not quick at these maps for some reason.

Enjoy them loads though, thank you.

Big thanks, D0m0nik!  :)

In past you created many excellent maps (2728, 2819, 2779 etc.). I will be happy if you will find time and create on my demand one CSM map with Stargate Blockers.   :D

last

Twi

I enjoyed it a lot! The blockers are definitely an interesting element to keep track of.

The blockers weren't affected by movement speed upgrades, were they? Just asking because they move pretty sloooooow by default and that's honestly not a bad thing if I can make them move faster later.

I'll second the note about wanting random 'neutral'/extra 'stargates' to park them on, though. And they are indeed pretty easy to lose at their current size.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

yum-forum

Quote from: Twi on November 02, 2018, 09:06:19 AM
I enjoyed it a lot! The blockers are definitely an interesting element to keep track of.

The blockers weren't affected by movement speed upgrades, were they? Just asking because they move pretty sloooooow by default and that's honestly not a bad thing if I can make them move faster later.

I'll second the note about wanting random 'neutral'/extra 'stargates' to park them on, though. And they are indeed pretty easy to lose at their current size.
Thanks for comment!  :)
1. Yes. Forge can't upgrade SB (Stargate Blocker). This is not easy to do with scripts because SG is additional unit (not build-in-game). But in next game will be at least 2 types of SB: slow and very fast.  :D   And in first map with SB I setted very low speed of SB so that they flying like "small cute spy".
2. About visibility of SB: in next map rotating ring around SB will be more brighter as grass in spring. Also rotation of ring will depends on speed of moving of SB. More faster SB - more faster rotation.
3. About "neutral stargates" it perhaps will be not stargate but something like platform/home of SB. I will discuss about this with Cornucanis.
last

D0m0nik

Big thanks, D0m0nik!  :)

In past you created many excellent maps (2728, 2819, 2779 etc.). I will be happy if you will find time and create on my demand one CSM map with Stargate Blockers.   :D

[/quote]

Hmmm, intersting. I am a very slow map maker so could take me a while, where is the template?

yum-forum

Template file here/above in the end of second post (by Cornucanis).

P.S. You still number one by time score!  :D
last

D0m0nik

Where is the standard template (with the handy info panel in the top right)?

Also is it easy to determine how strong emitters are when they flip?

D0m0nik

Yum - have you sorted maps by rating lately? You have the first 24 places! I think CSM maps are quite popular!