Custom Map #8289: Eye of the storm. By: Cal16

Started by AutoPost, April 06, 2020, 10:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8289: Eye of the storm

Author: Cal16
Size: 256x90

Desc:
Somewhat challenging start, you need to nullify the spore towers within 15 minutes to survive. After this you can turtle if you wish, you have only one PZ bertha for the duration (ignore the extra bertha tech - that only allows you to re-build the one you already have). Good luck and thanks for playing!

marvinitfox

AWESOME map,
it actually remains challenging all the way through. Well, interesting, at the very minimum.
That start really requires a bit of thought for optimal approach.

My only negative comment is on the single neutralizer.
It makes the mop-up towards the end rather bothersome, for no practical reason.

Johnny Haywire

I heartily agree - this is one of the best maps I've played so far this year!

The description: "Somewhat challenging start" probably could be better qualified if you specified that this map isn't for beginners. I mean, I suppose there might be a few quick studies out there, but I'm guessing the relatively low map score is from people not able to complete the map.

If you're a bit new at this:
Spoiler
In almost ANY map, if you have a chance to build something on a PZ right away, build a reactor. The boost in energy right at the start is huge, and you'll subsequently be able to build more energy sources faster than if you build anything else.
[close]

I also agree with marvinitfox that the single nullifier doesn't really seem to do anything but slow down inevitable progress. That would be my only gripe (if you could call it that) in the map. 9/10 rating for me  ;)

What's really cool about this map is that once you defeat the 4th spore tower, the threat is over... but you still have some challenges ahead that keep you thinking, although at a significantly-reduced clock speed.

Thanks for the map, Cal16! Really appreciate your work on this  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

callumh167

Thanks guys!

I limited the nullifier to one to add to the jeopardy at the start, my thinking was that you would need to allow build time for the nullifiers in succession within the initial 15 minutes. In hindsight I should have added the tech in after this point, I'm working on a map at the moment so I will make sure to bear that in mind.

I'm not overly worried about the low ratings, I know it won't be for everyone as it's on the harder side but this is intended for the long running players who like me are struggling to find a new challenging map to play. Some of my favourite maps on here were by Jason Stevens and I'm trying to capture that sweet spot of difficult but not impossible!

Johnny Haywire

Wow dude, if Jason's maps are your favorite then that's scary. I look forward to trying your maps!  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Helper

I quit when I hit 30 minutes and still hadn't won.
Then checked the scores and went back for another go.
I enjoyed the challenge of surviving those Towers.
Thanks,
H