Level number on Custom Levels

Started by slayer, September 03, 2011, 08:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slayer

Forgive me if this was mentioned elsewhere (I did search first ;D).

Each custom level is given a level number. This number seems to be generated based on when the level was created/made available. This number is also used when searching the score database. So far, so good.

My issue is that when I go into "My Maps" the number displayed is the order in which I downloaded the map, i.e., if my first custom map download is level 100, it is shown in my maps as level 1. Even though I can click on "S" button to show the correct level scores it is unnecessarily confusing.

Anyone else share my opinion?

Slayer

Grauniad

If by "level" you refer to the map id, then I might be able to understand what you are talking about. :)

On the Knuckle Cracker database, each map is given a unique map id. This is separate from the map UID which is generated when the map is created by the map author. The map UID is used in uploading scores.  The map id on the other hand is simply a sequential numbering scheme.

Then there is the arbitrary number that is assigned to maps you downloaded into the "customgames" folder of the game. This number has no meaning other than the sequence in which you downloaded maps. As you delete maps or download other maps, this number may change. It is in no way related to any other number that is associated with the map.

Confusing, I know, but that is how it is.  Since you can store maps into the customgames folder with names and/or numbers other than the numbers that maps have been assigned in the KC database, there is no realistic way that the numbers can be correlated.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grun

I actualy agree with such, I sometimes look for the map and forget it works in such a way and end up looking at discussion/times/scores for the wrong map :P Perhaps another field could be added to the deatils of the map on download and stored with the map data to show what the id no. is for the map in relation to the download page. Alternativly the way I may look at doing is delete all maps and download all in order, think I downloaded most already :P

Grun

Lord_Farin

Quote from: Grun on September 05, 2011, 05:41:02 PM
Alternativly the way I may look at doing is delete all maps and download all in order, think I downloaded most already :P

Grun
Be advised that not all maps are available for download; some have been taken down
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Grauniad

In the next update there will be a field on the My Maps display that will display the file name of the file in the "customgames" folder.  This may help you to determine the map id of the map in the Knuckle Cracker database, or if it is your own game that you manually placed in the "customgames" folder.

This should go some way towards helping, I'd hope.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon