Main Menu

Ore Hogging

Started by Ranakastrasz, August 19, 2011, 03:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranakastrasz

One thing I noticed in my game-play, was that ore is not evenly distributed to all makers. It appears that one maker (I believe it is the first one you build) gets it's share first, then the second, and so on. I assume the game logic loops through each maker, and tries to give it 1/2/4 ore, and if it is available, it is sent, otherwise, it is ignored, and the game logic goes to the next one. (because if you are in an ore deficit, the makers with lower production multipliers are prioritized, as you are more likely to have 2 ore than 4 ore in a tick.

This may not seem like a big problem, but having two makers, one of them doing absolutely nothing, is quite a problem if they are not sitting next to each other, but both are, say, making a creeper bubble to protect an area. If one shuts off, that area could get overrun.

Two options.
1: Wait until enough ore to cover *everything* has been collected. This would mean that if you have 3 active makers, at 4x each, it would make all 3 pulse when you hit 12 ore. However, if you had 6 of them at 4x each, they would require 24 ore to pulse, and therefore would not be able to unless you research a higher capacity (which you would probably do anyway, but still)

2: Make a maker production queue. Each maker when it is built/activated is added to the end of the queue. If a maker is deactivated, or when it pulses, it is removed from the queue. (if it pulses, it is re-added after the cooldown) It will process the makers starting at the front of the queue, and working it's way to the back.
This would work better, as it would not require research, but would make it so that the makers are all getting their fair share. It would also not make all makers synced, although, that is not a big deal regardless.

I am unsure, but I think packets already use a request queue, which is why construction is so inefficient in deficit, but weapons tend to all stay about even, rather than filling one totally before doing the rest. (or overload deficit, meaning more than 60 packets/sec requested, still has the same effect as deficit however.) (especially inefficient because you are unable to pause reactors building for example.)

Fisherck

I agree, and like option 2. I have noticed this too, in my map field fight at the start. It can be a real pain. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on August 19, 2011, 03:05:21 PM
I agree, and like option 2. I have noticed this too, in my map field fight at the start. It can be a real pain. :)

+1
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: Fisherck on August 19, 2011, 03:05:21 PM

This is where I seriously noticed it, when doing that quite clever map you made.

Mister_Andy

Personally, I like the way he has it. :)

Lord Jragon

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 19, 2011, 03:01:21 PM
(especially inefficient because you are unable to pause reactors building for example.)
Actually, you can use the activate/deactivate button (or hotkey q) to pause building on any object.

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: Lord Jragon on August 29, 2011, 11:29:53 PM
(especially inefficient because you are unable to pause reactors building for example.)
Actually, you can use the activate/deactivate button (or hotkey q) to pause building on any object.
True, But Im pretty sure that didnt used to be possible.

thepenguin

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 30, 2011, 07:43:54 AM

that was always possible.
We have become the creeper...

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: thepenguin on August 30, 2011, 08:38:04 AM
Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 30, 2011, 07:43:54 AM

that was always possible.
Huh, I guess my memory sucks, or maybe I assumed it because it was not in Cw1