Custom Map #872: Nebula. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, August 15, 2017, 08:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #872: Nebula

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 320x320

Desc:
Enter the Nebula; you may not come out the same. #PRPL #NoLand #Plasma #FewEnergySources #HotKeys

Sorrontis

Still no completion?  :P I guess I'll give a few hints. 8)

At least try a couple times before checking these

• Use your "K" hotkey sparingly - the enemy gets stronger as you use it.
  • Use your "L" hotkey intelligently - it can save your life.
  • Struc is your friend. It's a useful defense and offense mechanism.
  • No point in turtling. Don't be afraid to lose ships (except maybe Exp. 55).
  • Ships were all designed for quick rebuild, except for Exp.55 and Point Defense. Know what to sacrifice and when.
  • Spoiler
    The instability is random - don't look for a pattern. However, there's a warning, so prepare for impact.
    [close]
  • Spoiler
    The corner explosions only happen once each, and they aren't that deadly. They're just there to keep you on your toes.
    [close]
[close]

Spoiler
I estimate that the best time will be in the 13-15 minute range, with most players between 25-40 minutes. Let's see if I'm right :)
[close]
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

careo

Oh... "L", not "I". Actually hitting the right key might help!

Sorrontis

Quote from: careo on August 16, 2017, 01:04:48 AM
Oh... "L", not "I". Actually hitting the right key might help!

Ha, I see that. I take full responsibility ;)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Tunnen

This map was so good that it forced me to come out of lurking to post here =P

Sorrontis

Quote from: Tunnen on August 18, 2017, 11:41:53 PM
This map was so good that it forced me to come out of lurking to post here =P

Woohoo! Thanks!

Sorrontis

14minute-ish. Tunnen, you're on a roll! My prediction was right!

Tunnen

You managed to make a map where I actually wanted to replay it multiple times in order to try to beat my time.  Then I saw your prediction and felt I had to try to get there.  =P

Sorrontis

I have no clue if you can beat that time though :)

GoodMorning

Sorry, Sorrontis - I'd been putting this off after the first attempt, forgotten why, and decided to have a go. I found it was the frame rate.

For now, I'm wondering what I should have been doing about those three attack craft. The cannon can deal with one, but the others seem to be too strong for conventional weaponry. (Ramming would work, if the rammer wasn't torn apart by cannonfire. The defence grid doesn't recharge in time for the second wave.) So far the best I have done is a full complement of ships (not full charge) and the top area under control, with the Struc belt finishing. The second triplet then proceeds to wipe everything. The first fell to the defence grid and some ramming.

So, for my own benefit (and possibly some confused others) ... what have I missed at this early stage?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

First wave is defense grid. Second wave, look at the movement and prepare struc to be 100% in it's way, and add a couple side ramming for good measure. You should have been able to grab both sides of the map before the second wave hits the center. The type of struc is key.

GoodMorning

Ah. So I just need to capture the Struc faster.

I get the impression that only some of those flip-Emitters actually make Struc, while the rest consume lathe time and complete the pattern.

Sorrontis

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 26, 2017, 08:12:59 PM
Ah. So I just need to capture the Struc faster.

I get the impression that only some of those flip-Emitters actually make Struc, while the rest consume lathe time and complete the pattern.

Nope, all flips create struc ... unless I forgot to click one of them.

GoodMorning

Well, an near-complete, prepared, Struc-channeled fleet just got wiped. Those guns tear through a Struc net just as fast as through ships.

The first wave, the defence grid was there to distract the guns, so I didn't need to fire a shot. The second wave, the central ship was stopped by the block about the central mine. The other two survived.

What did you mean by "sides" previously? The top sections connected to the Struc, or the Ship/Emitter/Doppel groups further down? Or the particle bursts in the lower corners?

Sorrontis

I took the right side, down to bottom right and get the two shippickup and amp gems on the way. On the left, all the way down to the center left energy source. This I had done before the second wave started moving.