Custom Map #268: The Shipyard. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, November 01, 2016, 01:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #268: The Shipyard

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 480x160

Desc:
An advance SSDI fleet has encountered a massive particulate aligned shipyard. Two cruisers have been pre-dispatched to aid you in clearing the sector. #SorrontisPRPL

Sorrontis

Nothing? No comments? Just a bunch of 1s?  :-\
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Argonwolf

I kind of liked it, but didn't finish it. If anything it seemed like a perfectly normal map to me, I'm not sure why it got so many downvotes.

Also you seem to be a very creative ship builder, but you also tend to reuse the same ships mission to mission. Let us see what's in that wild imagination of yours! (Please? :D)

Sorrontis

Quote from: Argonwolf on November 02, 2016, 02:23:09 PM

Also you seem to be a very creative ship builder, but you also tend to reuse the same ships mission to mission. Let us see what's in that wild imagination of yours! (Please? :D)

That I can do :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Dax

I made an account just to reply to this: It's not all that good. Your ship designs are pretty interesting at least, but partly because of them it's extremely frustrating. The big structure in the centre is, as far as I'm concerned, impossible to storm with ships and omnis. I ended up resorting to using a rock burner so I could get those combat lathes in along with every single omni I could build, and finaly took down the first super-powered turret. This was after I crept around the big rock to snipe the turrets around the edges. By this point, I got fed up and dropped it.
The day after I decided to load up my minmaxed sandbox fleet, and gave it another go. After sniping the turrets around the edges of the central rock, I pressed forward and took out the spawners on the far left. Because I had several ships equipped with Mk7s, I was able to deal with the Varro easily enough, something that your ships (with the exception of the Mother with its swarms of missiles) were unable to do decisively, which was extremely frustrating.
Anyway, I surrounded the central rock with cannon-equipped ships and they slowly managed to push back the mire. I stormed it with all my omnis, but I lost all of them except 4. Luckily, these 4 managed to open a beachhead, and by using a tanker ship I could build more omnis directly on the rock. From that point I just had to wait and watch for several minutes until the omnis completely beat back the enemy mire.

My point is, making a map so hard it's almost impossible doesn't make it fun. Those central turrets on the central rock aren't fun to try and take down (as well as impossible without a rock burner), they're just frustrating. That's what sums up this map: frustrating. Still, it has some interesting ideas. Keep it up.

Sorrontis

Hi Dax, thanks for your honest opinion. I'll have to read it a couple more times to really digest everything in there.

Also, welcome to the boards! Do stay around and talk with us old folks  ;)

Laithaldien

Another way to deal with the big rock:

Divide and Conquer.

TypoNinja

I wanted to give you a higher rating, it seemed like a good map, but....

Overuse of cannons isn't fun. I got them all eventually, with enough suicide omni rushes, so thrilling. Though the invulnerable mire spawners means I can't ever claim the place my self, and the enemy mines on it constantly peg your ships as you try to go around.

A varro with no real answer got old very fast.

I made it round the bottom to the energy mine on the other side of the island in the middle, but having my whole fleet there including the mothership, and defensive struct on the mine wasn't enough to hold onto the thing.

What could have been a good map had all the fun sucked out of it.

GoodMorning

I don't recall this specifically, meaning that it was a typical Sorrontis map: relatively difficult but possible.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Quote from: TypoNinja on March 28, 2017, 10:55:14 PM
I wanted to give you a higher rating, it seemed like a good map, but....

Overuse of cannons isn't fun. I got them all eventually, with enough suicide omni rushes, so thrilling. Though the invulnerable mire spawners means I can't ever claim the place my self, and the enemy mines on it constantly peg your ships as you try to go around.

A varro with no real answer got old very fast.

I made it round the bottom to the energy mine on the other side of the island in the middle, but having my whole fleet there including the mothership, and defensive struct on the mine wasn't enough to hold onto the thing.

What could have been a good map had all the fun sucked out of it.

Thanks for the review! Glad you didn't like it. Wait... that ain't right. Sorry you didn't like it. What I find fun, others might not.

Lisimba

I actually found the center island a bit of a pushover ??? I guess it's very strategy-sensitive.

Spoiler
I took out the particle spawners on the right side of the map first, while building up my fleet. Then I made a flyable corridor at the bottom to take over the left side. I put a line of struc about halfway between the main island and the bottom of the map, linked up to the struc spawners in my base. This mostly kept the cannons on the south side of the main island occupied while I used the fast ships to burn away plasma in the corridor. The cannons still try to fire at ships but half the time they're reloading instead. It probably would have worked without the struc too but it definitely took off some pressure.

After that I sent most of the small ships with tanks to the four-quarter island at the bottom, including the tanker ship and a lathe ship. The lathe ship got eaten by a cannon halfway but that turned out to be no big deal. I had the tanker ship build half a dozen omnis next to the island and then put them on the closest quarter, this got me control of it pretty fast and took out the particle spawner too. The rest of the island was soon under control as well, giving me the energy mine and with that a good beachhead. I just rebuild the lathe ship right there and proceeded to take over the rest of the left side.

The MK7 enemy ship is actually quite vulnerable to large numbers of omnis with the cannon upgrade, so I planted about ten on the beachhead island. They shoot off the front of the ship after which it'll go hide and repair. With some good piloting you can usually ram it with a fast ship too, after which it'll leave you alone for even longer as it's being rebuilt.

For the assault on the main island I took out the two southwest cannons (I had most ships and both lathe ships on the left by then so I decided to assault from there). Just park random crap up to the island for the cannon to chew on while a lathe ship takes it out. The fast ships are good for this too, when one blows up the next can be in position immediately. If you position things well you'll have at most two cannons shooting you at the same time, and nothing shooting the lathe ship. You may lose a ship or two but you can rebuild fast enough, while the cannon won't come back.

I then collected all omnis next to the island and... just flew them on. Half blew up, the other half made a beachhead and started miring. I built new ones with the tanker ship right away and put them on too to speed things up. The shielded mire spawners blow up when you mire under them, and everything else can be blown up by building new omnis next to them once your mire gets close enough (extra energy mine range helps, and the tanker ship does the rest - don't bother trying to fly omnis, that just makes them vulnerable). The cannons don't have a chance against omnis that are on the ground. This got me the whole island in maybe two minutes.

I never got to use the three big ships which is a bit of a shame.
[close]

Overall I quite liked the map though.

Sorrontis

Johnny Haywire

Well, I'm excited. I finally broke out of the sub-5-rated Sorrontis maps into 5+ territory. Things are looking up  ::)

So, this map is a little challenging but pretty easy with the huge Mother 2 ship. Honestly, that's all you need with a lathe. Or two lathes if you don't like to wait. It can tank all the guns in the center.

I tried reading through some of the forum posts that gave hints on how to take the center. They were all more than 2 lines.

1) Use your big ship as a shield and send it with all the omnis (so they're on top of each other). Land omnis and kill stuff.

2) Use your big ship as a shield to kill most of the oncoming particulate and block it from hitting the center. Then take it. Done.

I thought the carrier near the end of the map (?) was a bit anti-climactic, but once you take the middle each island is like taking the middle only a whole lot easier. Even more easier. Or more easierest even. It's like the exact same duplicate redundancy.

Thanks for the cool map, m8!  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?