Amp Gems on Ships

Started by bugbrain_04, October 03, 2016, 04:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugbrain_04

Do amp gems increase the fire rate of weapon modules? I know they increase range, but can't really tell about fire rate.

In fact, if it would be possible to get a full list of effects when you have an amp gem mounted on a ship, I'd be really grateful. Though I understand if that's a bit much to ask for.

Kharnellius

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure either.  Would be nice to know. 

Relli

The introduction to amp gems in the story (mission 6 I believe) states that amp gems increase both range and fire rate. Virgil has also stated that having an amp gem very slightly lowers the damage a ship takes. I have not noticed any other changes, but if anyone would like to take a crack at figuring things out, here are some good questions to ask:
Does energy usage increase to scale with the increased attack rate?
Do Lathes deal more/faster damage?
Do Storage Tanks/Guppies store more?
Do Ports change in any way aside from Range?
Do ships build/rebuild faster?
What of Fighter Bays?
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to missing information about Particle Fleet.

bugbrain_04

Oh really? I only remember the dialog mentioning range, but that'd be an easy thing to miss. Thanks.

Still wouldn't mind that list, though, lol.

PhailRaptor

AMP Gems definitely increase fire rate in addition to range.  Easy to test, too.  After you unlock your second Cruiser in the story, AMP one of them but no the other, then observe the difference.

planetfall

It doesn't seem that fighter bays get any benefit from amp gems. Is this an oversight?
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Bacteriophage

I and others have done some testing on the effectiveness of amp gems in the Data on effectiveness of modules thread.  In answer to Relli's questions:
It appears that energy use does increase to scale.  I haven't tested it thoroughly yet, though.
No, Lathes work at the same speed.
No, at least for tanks (and I suspect guppies are similarly unaffected.)
I don't think so... I'm not really sure how ports could change.
No, building works at the same speed (although Virgil says the ships take less damage in the first place).
I've only tested one aspect of fighter bays, but amp gems do increase the fire rate of the fighters themselves by 33% (a smaller increase than some other weapons due to frame-rounding issues.)

Sorrontis

Quote from: planetfall on October 03, 2016, 11:39:14 PM
It doesn't seem that fighter bays get any benefit from amp gems. Is this an oversight?

I was sure the range got increased when I put it on my carrier, but I might be wrong.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Xeneonic

Quote from: Bacteriophage on October 04, 2016, 11:20:34 AM
I don't think so... I'm not really sure how ports could change.
1. Throughput increase from the normal maximum of 30 EPS per target.
2. EPS ratio more effective (i.e. Tanker spends 1 energy to send 1.2 energy to a ship)
3. Energy packets get sent faster (As in, Going faster from Tanker to reaching the target)

I don't think any of these are the case, but something like #2 could make it enticing to add an amp gem on a tanker instead of a shooting ship for those missions where energy is really a big issue. (i.e. few mines and no land to mire)

GoodMorning

Power farming time. Disengage tanks on two tankers, have them swap power.
Quote from: Xeneonic on October 04, 2016, 09:08:12 PM
2. EPS ratio more effective (i.e. Tanker spends 1 energy to send 1.2 energy to a ship)
[...]
I don't think any of these are the case, but something like #2 could make it enticing to add an amp gem on a tanker instead of a shooting ship for those missions where energy is really a big issue. (i.e. few mines and no land to mire)
Power farming time. Disengage tanks on two amped tankers in turn, have them swap power. Steadily more power accumulates.

Power exists in discrete chunks for a reason, 30eps is difficult to change, and not worth it.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

PhailRaptor

With regards to AMPs and Tankers, the Port already does get the same range increase that weapons do.  Unless you're referring to an analog to weapon attack speed, in which case they seem to not have one.

Xeneonic

Quote from: GoodMorning on October 04, 2016, 09:45:06 PM
Power farming time. Disengage tanks on two tankers, have them swap power.
Quote from: Xeneonic on October 04, 2016, 09:08:12 PM
[...]
Power farming time. Disengage tanks on two amped tankers in turn, have them swap power. Steadily more power accumulates.
While this is true, missions - and how effective you are - is measured in time. Time spent ferrying over between tankers instead of using the energy to kill things results in lost time and thus efficiency. Especially if you want to break time records, ferrying over power into a loop is a really bad way to achieve it.

That said, tankers will only supply energy to each other until they're on the same energy level, further diminishing the potential effectiveness and increase in time consumption of the described method.

GoodMorning

That was why I was disengaging tank modules.

I think it's fine as-is for tanks and ports. Guppies might get a boost to max cargo.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.