Custom Map #1198: Particle Pipe Puzzle Preplaced-1. By: Bluebolt

Started by AutoPost, July 31, 2018, 09:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1198: Particle Pipe Puzzle Preplaced-1

Author: Bluebolt
Size: 320x320

Desc:
Particle Pipes, get from the emitter to the goal! Rotate tiles with your mouse, and click the buttons for stuff!

reddwarf12

I love creative ideas like this.

It took me awhile to figure out what was going on, lol. So, I've got like four goals green, but am stuck. Now I see that your six blue emitters have to cover nine keys/goals, and five red emitters have to cover like six or so spots. So, around half of all your emitters will have to do dual duty, I guess passing through a key first and then finding a padlock. At least, that's my current understanding. That means everything I've done so far is useless, I guess, 40 minutes in.

In case it's useful, I have figured out one tip that may be helpful to others. Your stream doesn't have to reach the exact target point itself. If you're half a block away from your desired arrow stream (being prevented by a half block of wrong-way arrows), a few stray nuggets will get through anyway and rejoin the stream. A single particle is all it takes to flip a key to the right color, and if you wait a little, enough particles will get through to flip a padlock.

But then, I haven't completed yet, so you can take advice from me with a grain of salt, heh.

Great concepts here - I'll give it a go again later.

[For mediocre players like me: as the instructions state, you pretty much need to turn on "Show Fields," at the top left of the screen.] 

bluebolt

Each emitter matches up with a goal... so some streams will need to be crossing paths with the keys. There is a complete path for each emitter to go, it might take some time to find them though :)
Even YOU may survive an apocalypse! Fight back against the creeper today!

rhiwaow

oh wow, this was awesome! using paint to figure out the paths helped, so that i didn't actually change a path that i already had planned for something different. which, of course, lead to the inevitable messing up of the arrows for some paths, and finally to solve this to have the solution pic and the game side by side :D

this was an hour or two well spent!

hint 1:
Spoiler
took me quite a while to figure out the crossing of the streams - and that this isn't ghostbusters :D
[close]

hint 2:
Spoiler
also, some evil person put two keys on one path :D
[close]

solution
Spoiler
picture
[close]

GoodMorning

May I make a request for more visible keys? Dropping a gem under or near them would make it much easier to locate them.

As it is/was, I was constantly flipping the field view on and off in order to locate them. The other elements were visible, though.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

bluebolt

That is a good idea, and I will try the gem out. If that doesn't work I might make them have increased size or add an element tracker
Even YOU may survive an apocalypse! Fight back against the creeper today!

toolforger

I hated that you'd have to reset all tiles to random orientation just to get back in rotation mode.
Plus I couldn't get a clear plan how to progress. (I generally hate nonlinear puzzles, and this seems to be one - though I'm not even sure, and being unable to "see" that made me hate it even more.)

This all does not mean the idea is bad, just that it's pretty opposite to what I find enjoyable - YMMV, obviously.
What definitely was bad was that it was hard to see the borders of the tiles, that it was hard to see in which direction they were facing (maybe add arrows to the tiles), and that it was hard to see what needed to be wired up.

I'm not going to touch this kind of map again I guess, this one experience was enough and I won't be neutral anymore.