Mystery Icon?

Started by Nephthys, July 26, 2014, 07:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephthys

I am wondering what the circled icon is in the attached screenshot. It is in Alpha:TonyP2000. Is it something left over from the Beta testing hanging around in an early map? Even so, what does it indicate? So far, it doesn't seem to do anything. I would like to avoid any nasty surprises!

Thanks,
N.

EDIT: On second glance, it seems to be an unidentified spore tower. By that I mean it doesn't say how many spores or how often they come. Is that right? ???

Asbestos

No, that's a CRPL core, which is used in map-making. It might have a spore script attached to it. I don't think they had rollover identification commands back in the days of yore, though.

Nephthys

Quote from: Asbestos on July 26, 2014, 09:13:36 PM
No, that's a CRPL core, which is used in map-making. It might have a spore script attached to it. I don't think they had rollover identification commands back in the days of yore, though.

That makes sense. I think it could also have emitter functions attached to it from what I've noticed in additional game play. So no way to avoid nasty surprises after all.  :) 

Thank you for your help with my question!

Grayzzur

It's the default image for a CRPL Core. That image can be changed (it usually is) or hidden altogether, depending on the map maker's wishes and artistic abilities.

You are correct. The very nature of CRPL Cores is nasty surprises and extra challenges. Done well, they make the maps much more interesting and versatile.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Flabort

Quote from: Grayzzur on July 29, 2014, 09:18:41 AMDone well, they make the maps much more interesting and versatile.
For examples of CRPL done well, check out Planetfall's maps. Guy's a genius with the scripts....
OK, his maps are a bit hard, but they're all mostly possible.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)