alpha sector thepenguin trains both maps

Started by hbarudi, April 07, 2014, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbarudi

At this point, map 1 which is the tutorial, works well with scoring, but map 2 the freeplay, does not work well with scoring at all, in map 2 my score is just 20, even when crashing rains it doesn't change.

For map 1 since it is working, I can't seem to change the direction that the trains go, even when terraforming areas of the map.
Do I have to terraform specific areas like corners of the track for the trains to change directions?
give me hint about how the direction of the trains is supposed to be done to change their paths, also crashing trains changes terrain around the area in map 1, but to me only the track matters as I can build extra collectors on the side of the map.

TLMike

You're meant to terraform parts of the track. Raise the terrain level by 1 at any intersection and the Trains will change directions. But, if you terraform the middle of a track, the Train having no where to go, will crash.

TLMike

thepenguin

I'll take a look at that.

Probably some update along the line broke something.
We have become the creeper...

TLMike

I seem to recall some discussion where these two lines of CRPL were reversed, and the trains were killed before adding to the total points. Some weird junk like that. And since I don' tknow CRPL, that was me just spouting nonsense. Hopefully you know what it all means, TP.

Relli

Quote from: hbarudi on April 07, 2014, 09:42:45 PM
For map 1 since it is working, I can't seem to change the direction that the trains go, even when terraforming areas of the map.
Do I have to terraform specific areas like corners of the track for the trains to change directions?
give me hint about how the direction of the trains is supposed to be done to change their paths, also crashing trains changes terrain around the area in map 1, but to me only the track matters as I can build extra collectors on the side of the map.
I'm not entirely certain what's causing your problem, so I'll try to give some general advice and hope I wander across the correct solution.

The trains will move along only one specific height. It's been a while, but I believe that height is 8. Easy to double-check though. So if there's a line of level 8 terrain height leading from the beginning to the correct end-point, it will travel along that path and score. If however there is any point where it can go multiple directions, there's no way to tell (that I'm aware of) which way it will travel, and you risk it going the wrong way. So you can prevent this by either raising or lowering the terrain by one point in one spot, so that there is only one remaining path for it to take. Then when a different train comes through that needs to go the other direction, fix that spot back to 8, and break the other path so that it's certain to go the correct way.

So there, I hope something in that mess solves your problem for you. Good luck, Mr. Conductor.

J

Quote from: thepenguin on April 08, 2014, 05:48:51 PM

Yeah, V changed the Destroy command twice. It now takes 2 arguments (UID and explosion) instead of 1 (UID) and it immediatly stops the script if it destroyed the unit with the script the called it.

thepenguin

Quote from: TLMike on April 08, 2014, 09:25:00 PM
I seem to recall some discussion where these two lines of CRPL were reversed, and the trains were killed before adding to the total points. Some weird junk like that. And since I don' tknow CRPL, that was me just spouting nonsense. Hopefully you know what it all means, TP.
Quote from: J on April 09, 2014, 10:45:10 AM
Quote from: thepenguin on April 08, 2014, 05:48:51 PM

Yeah, V changed the Destroy command twice. It now takes 2 arguments (UID and explosion) instead of 1 (UID) and it immediatly stops the script if it destroyed the unit with the script the called it.
Thanks. I remember now.  I suppose that I fixed the first map, but forgot the second.
We have become the creeper...