Custom Map #761: A moving target. By: warren

Started by AutoPost, July 02, 2014, 10:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #761: A moving target

Author: warren
Size: 128x128

Desc:
Are you used to a permanent infrastructure? :D (Experimental graphics) #CRPL #NoDigitalis #NoSpores #Detail

warren

And, after you are done, you can use terps to build your own roads. It works!

Flabort

This map deserves a better rating, but it beat me.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Helper

It looks interesting, but I can't figure out what to do.
When you introduce a new concept, it is helpful to provide needed information.
H

Flabort

Quote from: Helper on July 02, 2014, 04:51:13 PM
When you introduce a new concept, it is helpful to provide needed information.
H
This.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

planetfall

I think it's well beyond my skill level, but well done nonetheless. I didn't try building a forge though, that might have been the secret.

One thing I might ask... is each ball doing a GetUnitsInRange each frame? That can be pretty laggy with multiple cores (though with this few it's barely noticeable). I had a script that did more or less the same thing (see map #278), but did only one GetUnitsInRange call and then did a check for the angle from each unit to the center.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Flabort

Quote from: planetfall on July 02, 2014, 05:47:22 PM
I think it's well beyond my skill level, but well done nonetheless. I didn't try building a forge though, that might have been the secret.
Nope. It's not, as far as I can tell, the Forge gets blown up like everything else.

Helper

I built a Forge, and it got taken out by Creeper before the balls hit it.
Also tried Nullifying the Radiation looking symbols. The Nullifier goes through its entire cycle, but has no effect.

Flabort

Hmm. I nullified one (I'll call them nukes), and the balls stopped moving. For 6 seconds, all the nukes turned purple. Then all but the one I nullified turned yellow again, and the one I nullified had a few minutes on it's countdown; once they turned yellow, the balls got back to moving. I never got a chance to nullify a second nuke.

Helper

Maybe you've got it. I had plenty of time to build the Forge and three Nullifiers at three different Nukes - but missed the part about the balls stopping.

I wonder if you're supposed to use that technique to freeze it in place while you build your attack.

Be nice if the maker would check in.

warren

Quote from: Helper on July 02, 2014, 06:54:47 PM
Be nice if the maker would check in.

Sorry, I'm nocturnal.

It needs an entirely new strategy. If I just explain, half the fun is gone.

I didn't try building a forge though, that might have been the secret.

The totems gain experience at 8x speed to compensate.

Quote from: Helper on July 02, 2014, 06:12:57 PM
Also tried Nullifying the Radiation looking symbols. The Nullifier goes through its entire cycle, but has no effect.

Uhoh, The nullifier should turn purple for two minutes. (reducing speed by 1/5) The others for 10 sec.

Edit:
One thing I might ask... is each ball doing a GetUnitsInRange each frame?

Nope. The emitter is doing the getAllInRange(9999 square). Then I rotate found objects and test for overlap with a stationary rectangle.

Helper

Quote from: warren on July 02, 2014, 08:24:33 PM

It needs an entirely new strategy. If I just explain, half the fun is gone.

We do have some players who enjoy solving puzzles and don't mind trying a wide variety of techniques - and spending a lot of time on only one game.

If you would actually read all of the comments, you would see that several people gave it an honest try and were looking for a little bit of help/hint to develop an attack.

I've already taken a pass on this one and have moved on and - FWIW - I like to decide what my own 'fun' is.

Unsubscribing from this thread.

warren

I had a script that did more or less the same thing (see map #278),

Is there anything you haven't done first? I resolved to complete your series in order and have not gotten that far yet.

As to a request for hints:
1) collectors cost 3, so they pay for themselves with less land.
2) reactors cost 25, invest if you can.
3) build your important structures near the retreating line, so they survive longer.
4) blasters work best on one side and sprayers on the other.
5) in testing, berthas were able to survive the wrecking balls under rare conditions.

GoodMorning

I had fun, though it's micromanagement central.

A rush can be done, but I preferred to clean the map until I could stop the mechanism more-or-less permanently. If you do this, know that your Forges are transient but still worthwhile.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

cornucanis

Yeah I ended up resorting to the rush strategy to win, but I did manage to keep it going for a while using a "standard" strategy (about 10 minutes or so) before I decided the rush strategy would be far simpler. If you can get a few berthas up the standard strategy becomes a bit easier, but I suppose that's the case on any map  ;)